Scammers and Warnings

Kijiji Scammer Selling FAKE Galaxy S9+ (Brampton)

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 15th, 2019 1:31 pm
[OP]
Dec 1, 2018
98 posts
91 upvotes
Toronto

Kijiji Scammer Selling FAKE Galaxy S9+ (Brampton)

Hello RFD, this is my first post on here so please go easy on me and let me know if I should be posting this else where or removing any details.

I messaged the seller on Kijiji for a Samsung Galaxy S9+ earlier today and exchanged a few messages before agreeing to purchase the phone. I drove over an hour away to meet him, which he knew the distance/time I was travelling, at his local Tim Hortons (10041 McLaughlin Rd, Brampton, ON L7A 2X5).

I knew immediately the phone was fake, the screen had a border withing the physical bezels of the phone (which I later noticed you can see in the picture). The phone had a low resolution screen and was very slow. The camera was atrocious, you could count the pixels. The lock screen had a wallpaper that said "Galaxy S9". The phone was a dual sim version and had two IMEIs. Both IMEI's failed when I tried to check them using an IMEI checker, as well as the fact that there was a different IMEI written on the S9+ box.

I calmly told him I could not purchase the phone because I could not verify the IMEI numbers. I evenly kindly apologized to him, keeping in mind I will be reporting him to Kijiji and posting this thread as well as hoping he gets hit with some negative karma.

Here is his profile and the ad.
https://www.kijiji.ca/o-profile/15058576/1
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cell-phone/miss ... pp_android

[EDIT]
On a side note,
My girlfriend was extremely disheartened by the experience as she is a new Kijiji user and was excited to finally upgrade her phone. We're both full-time students so money is extremely tight. If anyone could share S9/S9+ listings, or their ad, it would be much appreciated. I would also appreciate any tips on Kijiji transactions for the future. Thanks!
Last edited by YungTrapLord on Feb 9th, 2019 12:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
29 replies
[OP]
Dec 1, 2018
98 posts
91 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote:
Feb 8th, 2019 11:30 pm
Isn't this damn near half price?
It's about $100 cheaper than ongoing resale price. I guess I should've been more weary about that. Regardless, he shouldn't have repeatedly told me its authenticity, especially knowing I was going to be driving over an hour to meet him.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2003
1740 posts
142 upvotes
Toronto
yashpatel10 wrote:
Feb 8th, 2019 11:15 pm
My girlfriend was extremely disheartened by the experience as she is a new Kijiji user and was excited to finally upgrade her phone. We're both full-time students so money is extremely tight.
Money is tight yet it is okay to shop for a 1k phone? Maybe my definition of "money is tight" is different from students nowadays.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
23891 posts
9462 upvotes
yashpatel10 wrote:
Feb 8th, 2019 11:34 pm
It's about $100 cheaper than ongoing resale price.
Ok maybe I don't know my phone prices.
For some reason I thought it was more.
I guess I should've been more weary about that. Regardless, he shouldn't have repeatedly told me its authenticity, especially knowing I was going to be driving over an hour to meet him.
I mean... he's not exactly going to tell you it's fake...
At least you caught it before buying it.
Aug 6, 2017
95 posts
82 upvotes
At least you did your due diligence and caught the scam. Most times if a deal is too good to be true it is.

If you are both full-time students and money is tight, why are you buying a $600 phone? Maybe you should get something within your means.

You could get a $100 unlocked phone and then get a BYO Phone plan at a cheap rate. Otherwise are you not just trying to keep up with the Jones'?

Just food for thought.
[OP]
Dec 1, 2018
98 posts
91 upvotes
Toronto
zero_ wrote:
Feb 8th, 2019 11:34 pm
Money is tight yet it is okay to shop for a 1k phone? Maybe my definition of "money is tight" is different from students nowadays.
LordPhan wrote:
Feb 8th, 2019 11:40 pm
At least you did your due diligence and caught the scam. Most times if a deal is too good to be true it is.

If you are both full-time students and money is tight, why are you buying a $600 phone? Maybe you should get something within your means.

You could get a $100 unlocked phone and then get a BYO Phone plan at a cheap rate. Otherwise are you not just trying to keep up with the Jones'?

Just food for thought.

Yes I agree, it does sound a bit ridiculous now that you guys point it out... However, we do a lot more on our phones nowadays than ever before for both school and work.

We definitely should be looking into cheaper options, but there's a lot of reasons why we've decided to allocate such funds to purchasing a new phone.
[OP]
Dec 1, 2018
98 posts
91 upvotes
Toronto
thegameplayer17 wrote:
Feb 8th, 2019 11:35 pm
Is that really him in his profile pic?
It was a fake picture. The guy I met had might lighter skin and wore a lot of jewelry.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
6180 posts
2451 upvotes
Alberta
yashpatel10 wrote:
Feb 8th, 2019 11:43 pm
Yes I agree, it does sound a bit ridiculous now that you guys point it out... However, we do a lot more on our phones nowadays than ever before for both school and work.

We definitely should be looking into cheaper options, but there's a lot of reasons why we've decided to allocate such funds to purchasing a new phone.
Your no different than the guys at work. They live pay cheque to pay cheque but they have an iPhone 10x and a $120/month data plan. And they don't even have a nickel in the bank.
[OP]
Dec 1, 2018
98 posts
91 upvotes
Toronto
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Feb 9th, 2019 12:07 am
Your no different than the guys at work. They live pay cheque to pay cheque but they have an iPhone 10x and a $120/month data plan. And they don't even have a nickel in the bank.
Yes we have no money in our accounts just like them, and even worse we have student loans!

I don't want to start a keyboard war so I'll take your kind words and fuel it to stride for a better life.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11747 posts
11355 upvotes
Oakville
Came to lol at flagship phone when money is tight.
Jan 13, 2017
239 posts
139 upvotes
Toronto
Bad Kijiji transaction for fake item in Brampton?

Story checks out.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2007
9017 posts
3598 upvotes
6ix
Atleast you did your due-diligence in checking the phone first
Koodo customer $40/8GB
Apr 15, 2012
173 posts
222 upvotes
Rule on Kijiji, if you're not sure about the product pictures, ask for more pictures which are not posted.
Be thorough in what you're getting before jumping on to it.
Also be sure on what you're looking for and familiarize your self with the product.
If the seller is genuine, he will definitely reply to you positively with all your queries.
And don't show that you are desperate, meet at a common location. You shouldn't be driving and hour to pick up a phone.