• Last Updated:
  • Aug 21st, 2018 2:55 am
Tags:
[OP]
Feb 1, 2006
296 posts
21 upvotes

Kijiji Ticket Scammer!!

I was looking for an event last night and began corresponding with a seller, who it became quite evident was a scammer.
As our texts went back and forth throughout the evening, the seller was aggressively trying to reassure me he was legit but couldn't meet up face to face because he was too busy but needed to sell the tickets asap. He offered a GREAT price which he kept reducing due to the last minute nature of the event. He asked for an emt and he would transfer tickets through ticketmaster right away. I was tempted to do the deal but when I called his cell number several times, I got a prerecorded message that the person was unavailable.
(Unfortunately these cell numbers can be made up quickly for short term use and discarded) A clear redflag was when the seller did not attempt to call me back nor would he talk to me on the phone, then he abruptly stopped all communication when I asked him why he wasn't answering. Shortly after that I went back on kijiji and noticed all this scammers ads, (there were around 8 of them, all created within 7 hours) stated "the items were no longer available."
WARNING: This seller had numerous ads up for many different events (Jays, Concerts etc) and had apparently "been on kijiji since 2015"
One could have been easily persuaded into thinking this scammer was a legit ticket reseller based on his profile.

So today I just went on kijiji and noticed this scammer had the same events listed in several new ads but with a NEW disposable text number. I tried contacting Kijiji but they don't even respond or do anything about these scumbags.

The pattern seems to be, he lists events that are close to happening, like Jays tonight or Concerts tonight or tomorrow for "less than face value."
PLEASE don't fall for it!!! I'm sure there are tons of these scammers waiting to prey on unsuspecting people.

Why doesn't Kijiji do something to crack down on these worthless individuals who will keep attempting to scam with little fear of repercussions?

Sorry for the long rant but Just some friendly advice for the community.
3 replies
Nov 24, 2016
260 posts
263 upvotes
I wouldn't buy tickets from kijiji ever. Facebook marketplace maybe...
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
2419 posts
714 upvotes
Scarborough
MastaOogway wrote:
Jun 7th, 2018 4:23 pm
I wouldn't buy tickets from kijiji ever. Facebook marketplace maybe...
Isn't there a serial number or a sequence of numbers or letters that can be verified when calling TicketMaster for verification? Sort of thing like their are with Gift cards?
Nov 14, 2003
989 posts
86 upvotes
Toronto
OrangeBerry wrote:
Aug 21st, 2018 12:16 am
Isn't there a serial number or a sequence of numbers or letters that can be verified when calling TicketMaster for verification? Sort of thing like their are with Gift cards?
Problem with that is the tickets if hard copy/soft copy are first come/first serve if they are legit numbers. Multiple copies /fakes are only found on the night of the event. They are legit when you call but doesn't mean they don't disappear before you use them. As long as a GC has the PIN still covered - you should be fairly safe but once exposed anyone can take that money.

Best to do ticket transfer. When you get an email from ticketmaster - those tickets are transferred to your account and there is traceability. I think its legit process however most sellers won't transfer tickets unless they get paid first. I don't think there is a recourse for EMT but I haven't checked as I don't sell tickets often. Meet up in person and have them transfer in front of you - they log into ticketmaster and transfer to your email. I do believe there is a cancellation process for the transfer as well so be quick to accept the transfer. Thats my 2 cents.