None
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
11098 posts
2502 upvotes
Montréal

killed a raccoon / damaged bumper :(

So got into my first accident, driving at night on a highway and noticed what appeared to be a 'black rolling thing' at a distance heading leftwards, thought that it was a loose tire/piece or something so I moved one lane over to the right. Suddenly, that thing changed directions and scrambled towards the right, trying to go into my direct path when previously I had gotten out of its way...at near the point of impact I realized that it was a big raccoon. I kept replaying the video but dunno what I could have done differently. Maybe hit my highbeams? I dunno if it would have made a difference. Sadly, the raccoon hit the lower left corner of my bumper, I think that it hit that grate part and both that grate and the raccoon fell from the car. Anyway, poor thing is most likely dead. :( Crap, my first accident and I had to cause a death of an animal. :(

Anyway, please see photos of my bumper and kindly excuse the nasty bugs on it. I'm just wondering how to go about it: should I bother w/ insurance and would it affect my premium or would you just handle it yourself? No idea if the bumper is a write-off or could be fixed? Any ideas on cost and suggestions for bumper style or recommendations if you're in the Toronto area?

I will also be asking my insurance agent, posing a hypothetical to see my coverage, but it's always good to ask for more opinions.

Dunno if I'm asking all the right questions. TIA for your help.

(PS Out of respect for my emotional wife, not going to be showing the video.)
50 replies
Nov 20, 2014
643 posts
145 upvotes
Toronto, ON
if you want it to look perfect, youll need to replsce the entire front bumper unfortunately. if it cost alot, think about how long youre planning to keep the car vs how much you want to pay. if youre getting a new car soon...might as well save up the money as going through insurance i think will increasw your premium (not sure but thats what i suspect).

the reason why i say just leave it be is because you prolly wont get your moneys worth when it comes to resell value if you fixed it
PM if you have ANY questions about zoomers wireless
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
11098 posts
2502 upvotes
Montréal
samyou92 wrote:
May 23rd, 2015 6:48 am
if you want it to look perfect, youll need to replsce the entire front bumper unfortunately. if it cost alot, think about how long youre planning to keep the car vs how much you want to pay. if youre getting a new car soon...might as well save up the money as going through insurance i think will increasw your premium (not sure but thats what i suspect).

the reason why i say just leave it be is because you prolly wont get your moneys worth when it comes to resell value if you fixed it
Thanks for your points. If this helps, I plan on keeping the car for its entire life, so resale value is not a concern. I have no idea how much a replacement bumper would cost but will bite the bullet because leaving it as-is would bother me. I guess that it can't be fixed from my layman's pt of view. No idea what will happen re insurance, will have to ask a feeler for my agent, but hopefully someone that went through this will chime in.
Dec 9, 2008
419 posts
74 upvotes
Toronto
Probably covered as part of your comprehensive package. Call your insurance , and Pretend to be a new customer and ask hypothetical question if it will raise premium.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
11098 posts
2502 upvotes
Montréal
elkhaze wrote:
May 23rd, 2015 7:37 am
Probably covered as part of your comprehensive package. Call your insurance , and Pretend to be a new customer and ask hypothetical question if it will raise premium.
How sensitive are these questions? Do I really have to pretend to be someone else or just ask my agent a hypothetical? Unless I admit that I got into an accident and make a claim, they can't touch my premium, right?
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
23414 posts
8382 upvotes
Toronto
Is there anything inside the fender is broken as well ? It looks like just the bumper damage.

- I would get a few body shop assessment first
- if the amount is huge (beyond what you want to pay out of your own pocket), then call up insurance
- check your deductible
- initially, insurer will probably won't raise your premium, depending on past claim(s) history. But you know, insurer will eventually want their $ back, one way or another.

by the look of it, replacing the bumper with brand new one .... probably looking at $1800 range at a certified bmw body shop.

If you are thinking of getting it done in cash, probably in the $1200 range.

If you are in Toronto area, I recently had my rear bumper done (at reasonable price when compared to dealer body shop & other certified body shop I had quoted). PM me if interested for the body shop I used.

Alternatively, you can buy the oem bumper yourself from either bmw dealer here or in the US, you will have to know the exact part #. Take the bumper and go to a body shop to have it painted and mounted. In this way, you at least have some control over the replacement costs but certainly it will be a hassle.

There are dealers in GTA that will sell you parts at a modest discount (still inflated if compared to US bmw dealer pricing). Dealers like, Maranello (thru Maxbimmer forum), Pfaff (thru True North forum) will give you discount when you mentioned those affiliation (no proof of forum membership is required at all).
Dec 13, 2011
892 posts
86 upvotes
Be careful, the raccon might sue you for murder. ! Seriously, it is an act of god. Check if your insurance cover that and what the deductible is.

tranquility922 wrote:
May 23rd, 2015 6:29 am
So got into my first accident, driving at night on a highway and noticed what appeared to be a 'black rolling thing' at a distance heading leftwards, thought that it was a loose tire/piece or something so I moved one lane over to the right. Suddenly, that thing changed directions and scrambled towards the right, trying to go into my direct path when previously I had gotten out of its way...at near the point of impact I realized that it was a big raccoon. I kept replaying the video but dunno what I could have done differently. Maybe hit my highbeams? I dunno if it would have made a difference. Sadly, the raccoon hit the lower left corner of my bumper, I think that it hit that grate part and both that grate and the raccoon fell from the car. Anyway, poor thing is most likely dead. :( Crap, my first accident and I had to cause a death of an animal. :(

Anyway, please see photos of my bumper and kindly excuse the nasty bugs on it. I'm just wondering how to go about it: should I bother w/ insurance and would it affect my premium or would you just handle it yourself? No idea if the bumper is a write-off or could be fixed? Any ideas on cost and suggestions for bumper style or recommendations if you're in the Toronto area?

I will also be asking my insurance agent, posing a hypothetical to see my coverage, but it's always good to ask for more opinions.

Dunno if I'm asking all the right questions. TIA for your help.

(PS Out of respect for my emotional wife, not going to be showing the video.)
--------------------------------
:evil:
Spam:irrelevant or inappropriate messages sent on the Internet to a large number of recipients.
Feb 10, 2014
287 posts
59 upvotes
Mississauga
tranquility922 wrote:
May 23rd, 2015 7:40 am
How sensitive are these questions? Do I really have to pretend to be someone else or just ask my agent a hypothetical? Unless I admit that I got into an accident and make a claim, they can't touch my premium, right?
You are right. Just talk to them say this happened and if they think it's worth open a claim. It's not your fault so even if you claim it will at most cause a little raise if at all of your comprehensive premium.
Nov 20, 2014
643 posts
145 upvotes
Toronto, ON
since this is only cosmetic damage (replacing that only the plastic front part), going to a body shop is unnecessary if they charge a premium over a regular indy shop that you trust your bmw with (assuming they know the basics).

i had to get the plastic grill changed a month ago which required taking off the bumper. didnt take too long so this should only be a 30-1hour max job
PM if you have ANY questions about zoomers wireless
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
16457 posts
4168 upvotes
Toronto
As others mentioned check to see if their is just cosmetic damage and no other parts were damaged.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2015
1008 posts
356 upvotes
York Region
Call your insurance and find out what the deal is. They only open a claim if you want them to so you can talk to them without any fear.

My buddy had his rear bumper on a Ford focus replaced and it was a $1700 job. I'd imagine yours to be over $2000. If you do go through insurance then it doesn't matter how much it is and seek the best shop.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
11098 posts
2502 upvotes
Montréal
carmaster wrote:
May 23rd, 2015 12:07 pm
As others mentioned check to see if their is just cosmetic damage and no other parts were damaged.
It appears only that the bumper was damaged but will also get a professional opinion.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
11098 posts
2502 upvotes
Montréal
Yup, will double check with my agent...I'm afraid that my deductible may be too high.