Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
11062 posts
2461 upvotes
Montréal
aqnd wrote:
May 23rd, 2015 12:55 pm
[IMG]http://gm-volt.com/forum/attachment.php ... 1429764633[/IMG]
Could be worse - it could still be in there, and alive.
Bad link? Can't see it...but, ya, I was afraid that it might've been stuck in the grill when I stopped to check. 'Luckily', it bounced off.

Poor bugger, why the heck did it have to run back into me? Argh.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7747 posts
2667 upvotes
ON
Image rehosted. It was linked from another forum, I guess you need to be logged in there to view it
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
11062 posts
2461 upvotes
Montréal
aqnd wrote:
May 23rd, 2015 1:06 pm
Image rehosted. It was linked from another forum, I guess you need to be logged in there to view it
Ya, I think that I saw that pic b4....wasn't looking fwd to removing that.

Actually, the more I look at the damage, maybe there's something to 'glue' back the breaks in the bumper? Is that possible?
Nov 20, 2014
643 posts
145 upvotes
Toronto, ON
aqnd wrote:
May 23rd, 2015 12:55 pm
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/XYE35Nhh.jpg[/IMG]
Could be worse - it could still be in there, and alive.
lmao at that license plate. thats the type id have if i was some rich snob that drives like a dbag in expensive sports car
PM if you have ANY questions about zoomers wireless
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1849 posts
607 upvotes
Kitchener
hitting an animal is a comprehensive claim and is not considered an at fault so your rates will not go up due to this accident. You will need to pay your comp deductible on your policy if you wish to pursue the claim.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15575 posts
5811 upvotes
I would personally go through insurance and get it repaired since it goes under comprehensive, and quite frankly, you are driving a BMW so when you go to sell it you would not want that sort of damage. I imagine it will be quite expensive - it was over $1000 just to paint my front bumper, and you have to replace yours and replace the plastic trim pieces that are damaged there too. Additionally, if you were to get into another accident I am unsure if the insurance company would charge you "betterment" on the claim with the pre-existing damage, if they are forced to repair it.

For example, if your bumper just needs to be repainted due to a minor collision, will they force you to pay for the repair of the bumper? Will they just spray over the damaged area, which would obviously look horrible and might not even last that long (peeling/chipping/etc.)?
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
11062 posts
2461 upvotes
Montréal
TrevorK wrote:
May 23rd, 2015 4:40 pm
I would personally go through insurance and get it repaired since it goes under comprehensive, and quite frankly, you are driving a BMW so when you go to sell it you would not want that sort of damage. I imagine it will be quite expensive - it was over $1000 just to paint my front bumper, and you have to replace yours and replace the plastic trim pieces that are damaged there too. Additionally, if you were to get into another accident I am unsure if the insurance company would charge you "betterment" on the claim with the pre-existing damage, if they are forced to repair it.

For example, if your bumper just needs to be repainted due to a minor collision, will they force you to pay for the repair of the bumper? Will they just spray over the damaged area, which would obviously look horrible and might not even last that long (peeling/chipping/etc.)?
Thanks, will see re my insurance...unfortunately my deductible is crazy high so probably have to pay out-of-pocket. Going to a shop so will see what are my options. I definitely won't leave it as-is...if they could realistically repair it, that would be great, if not, then I'll have to replace it.

I don't understand your bolded part: could you please explain?
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2003
1719 posts
96 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote:
May 23rd, 2015 1:01 pm
Bad link? Can't see it...but, ya, I was afraid that it might've been stuck in the grill when I stopped to check. 'Luckily', it bounced off.

Poor bugger, why the heck did it have to run back into me? Argh.
Sorry about the damage to your car.

Don't be too hard on yourself. You sacrificed your car and did a good deed by running over that raccoon.
Nov 2, 2014
979 posts
319 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
The claim will be considered a comprehensive claim. It will have no impact on your insurance rates (it could hypothetically have an impact on your eligibility for comprehensive coverage in the future, but that is another story for another day). You will just have to pay the deductible. Put it through.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2006
3510 posts
107 upvotes
Halton
You have it it on video? Please upload it lol
Enjoy Life
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
8456 posts
947 upvotes
elkhaze wrote:
May 23rd, 2015 7:37 am
Probably covered as part of your comprehensive package. Call your insurance , and Pretend to be a new customer and ask hypothetical question if it will raise premium.
Friend had hit raccoon also. Similar damage as this, 1200 to replace. Called insurance.
Deal Guru
May 14, 2007
14858 posts
1810 upvotes
Scarborough / Markha…
The racoon is going to need a good lawyer.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
11062 posts
2461 upvotes
Montréal
EL820 wrote:
May 23rd, 2015 6:03 pm
Sorry about the damage to your car.

Don't be too hard on yourself. You sacrificed your car and did a good deed by running over that raccoon.
I have a soft heart for furry creatures, doesn't matter even though I know lots of ppl consider them pests. Those animals are only just doing what they need to do to survive/get food. Sucks that I couldn't avoid hitting it. A few years ago I avoided a cat but that was at lower speeds on a city road, this one I wasn't fast enough...why the hell did that poor bugger have to double back...psyched me out.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
15575 posts
5811 upvotes
tranquility922 wrote:
May 23rd, 2015 5:24 pm
Thanks, will see re my insurance...unfortunately my deductible is crazy high so probably have to pay out-of-pocket. Going to a shop so will see what are my options. I definitely won't leave it as-is...if they could realistically repair it, that would be great, if not, then I'll have to replace it.

I don't understand your bolded part: could you please explain?
"Betterment" is when you are expected to contribute towards the cost of your repairs.

From IBC (http://assets.ibc.ca/Documents/Brochure ... urance.pdf) here is the definition:
BETTERMENT
Your insurance representative is only responsible for paying for your car to be restored to its condition prior to sustaining damage. For example, if a rusty door panel that was dented in a collision were to be replaced with one that is not rusty, you may be expected to contribute financially toward the “betterment” of your car.

I would suspect if you search RFD for "betterment" you would find the experience of some members in regards to it. I have never been charged for betterment on any of my claims, however I can see why it exists because the insurance company is not going to pay for pre-existing damage to be repaired.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
11062 posts
2461 upvotes
Montréal
TrevorK wrote:
May 23rd, 2015 11:32 pm
"Betterment" is when you are expected to contribute towards the cost of your repairs.

From IBC (http://assets.ibc.ca/Documents/Brochure ... urance.pdf) here is the definition:
BETTERMENT
Your insurance representative is only responsible for paying for your car to be restored to its condition prior to sustaining damage. For example, if a rusty door panel that was dented in a collision were to be replaced with one that is not rusty, you may be expected to contribute financially toward the “betterment” of your car.

I would suspect if you search RFD for "betterment" you would find the experience of some members in regards to it. I have never been charged for betterment on any of my claims, however I can see why it exists because the insurance company is not going to pay for pre-existing damage to be repaired.
Oic now. Hopefully won't get into another accident, but if that's the case, it would probably be repaired to its original state before then. The other scenario is if it's not repaired/reported and the bumper gets into an accident, it would be doubtful that they could find pre-existing damage...well, depending on where the impact is...

Anyway, a moot pt as I hope to get this fixed/replaced asap.