Automotive

Kind of messed up a Hertz rental, need advice.

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 22nd, 2012 2:36 pm
Tags:
None
Jan 1, 2008
61 posts
9 upvotes
Scarborough

Kind of messed up a Hertz rental, need advice.

I'm a fairly new driver (G2 only), and I've rented only one other time. My neighbour has an elevated drive away and I had to park there, while a family member was taking his car out of the drive way (he works early).

I did the stupid thing of thinking I could totally compensate for the elevated height -- I was wrong, the car made a loud crashing sound. The front wasn't damaged, but the left tail light (the glass part) broke, and there were scuff marks on the left corner bumper.

Does anyone have any experience with what Hertz will do (i.e. how much they'll charge?)? I got the LDW, but I doubt it'll help me in my case.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Before you ask, yes. Yes, I do regret this username.
11 replies
Oct 29, 2009
263 posts
5 upvotes
You could extend the rental and get the damages fixed.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
2521 posts
152 upvotes
edwardalex wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2012 12:20 am
You could extend the rental and get the damages fixed.

I think so too. I feel like it would be cheaper if you repaired it for them. But are you allowed to? What if they find out?
BlackJays wrote:
Mar 13th, 2010 6:02 pm
shame has been acheived
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2004
2769 posts
52 upvotes
If you got the LDW, it should cover the damage no?
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2009
1392 posts
178 upvotes
navyseals wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2012 12:28 am
I think so too. I feel like it would be cheaper if you repaired it for them. But are you allowed to? What if they find out?

Why would they find out? Its a light and a scuff. Just restore it and don't make a big deal out of it. Those rental companies are self-insured and will charge a craaaaazy amount of money.
[OP]
Jan 1, 2008
61 posts
9 upvotes
Scarborough
niroopg wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2012 12:38 am
Why would they find out? Its a light and a scuff. Just restore it and don't make a big deal out of it. Those rental companies are self-insured and will charge a craaaaazy amount of money.

To be honest, I don't wanna deal with it anymore. I just wanna return it. To hold it on for an additional week or so... not really interested in doing that.

Edit: The LDW is zero deductible. I think it means I pay everything.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
24552 posts
2328 upvotes
Ottawa
WuTangClan wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2012 8:12 am
To be honest, I don't wanna deal with it anymore. I just wanna return it. To hold it on for an additional week or so... not really interested in doing that.

Hertz will take it to whomever they have the repair contract with. Your credit card will be charged whatever the repair cost is. You will not be able to dispute the charges because you signed the contract and the fine print in the contract covered exactly this type of situation. Rental car companies are notorious at overcharging for repairs.
It’s not how far you fall that counts. It’s how high you bounce that counts! General G Patton
Deal Guru
Sep 10, 2009
10900 posts
394 upvotes
GT&A
lol @ fine print
troll: someone you dislike, fear or do not comprehend...
11b guide
When the doorbell rings, it's just a request. You are not a dog, it is not a command, only a request. You are not in church, you are at home. No guilt.
[OP]
Jan 1, 2008
61 posts
9 upvotes
Scarborough
Quick update for you guys: returned the car this morning, told them about the accident. Filled out the report. They said because I had the insurance/LDW I won't be paying for any of the damages. Being very cautious about it, but I'll monitor my CC activity in the meantime to make sure they keep their word.

Will provide another update when I see/hear/get anything. Thanks again for the help!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 5, 2002
6592 posts
930 upvotes
Thats why I always get the extra insurance. Not the free on your credit card insurance, but actually pay for the rental place insurance, its just peace of mind for me.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2007
3329 posts
382 upvotes
Valleywood
WuTangClan wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2012 8:12 am

Although all worked out in the end, your statement above implies that you should not be signing contracts. :o
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
2521 posts
152 upvotes
fastlayne wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2012 11:50 am
Although all worked out in the end, your statement above implies that you should not be signing contracts. :o

He hasn't done it much so its understandable. I'm glad it worked out for you OP.
BlackJays wrote:
Mar 13th, 2010 6:02 pm
shame has been acheived
× < >