• Last Updated:
  • Nov 27th, 2014 10:26 pm
[OP]
Nov 6, 2009
42 posts
1 upvote
Vancouver

Kindle deal or Kobo deal...?

There are some deals on the e-readers now that I am eyeing on... but decide to ask before I make the final call.

There is a "all-new kindle" deal by amazon for 64 bucks and Kindle Paperwhite for $119, and then there is a Kobo Aura + sleepcover deal for $100.

I am new to e-reader and they are all within my budget, but I am concern about the screen quality, book pricing difference, and cost/value in that order.

Any experienced user that might be able to give some suggestions? I am leaning towards the kobo aura at the moment.

Thanks!
18 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4111 posts
298 upvotes
New Westminster
well not an expert by far but i think as far as readers go atleast tech wise both will be ok for reading.. If you like library eBooks then Kobo is the way to go unless Kindle has finally gotten into the Canadian libraries. As far as prices on eBooks well i find atleast on the books i read that amazon is cheaper over Kobo but you should check these out yourself.
Poor Grammar and being long winded don't fit well together, Oh well.
[OP]
Nov 6, 2009
42 posts
1 upvote
Vancouver
Keas wrote:
Nov 27th, 2014 1:55 pm
well not an expert by far but i think as far as readers go atleast tech wise both will be ok for reading.. If you like library eBooks then Kobo is the way to go unless Kindle has finally gotten into the Canadian libraries. As far as prices on eBooks well i find atleast on the books i read that amazon is cheaper over Kobo but you should check these out yourself.
Thanks Keas! That's quite helpful! I am wondering for library eBooks, kobo can handle it? That is a big plus for sure!

For the ebook prices, do you know about how much more is the kobo ones cost normally? I don't mind a couple bucks but if it is more then it could add up..
May 19, 2013
3 posts
Owned an Kobo and upgraded to Kindle Paper white last year much prefer the Kindle
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4111 posts
298 upvotes
New Westminster
iambeetle wrote:
Nov 27th, 2014 2:17 pm
Thanks Keas! That's quite helpful! I am wondering for library eBooks, kobo can handle it? That is a big plus for sure!

For the ebook prices, do you know about how much more is the kobo ones cost normally? I don't mind a couple bucks but if it is more then it could add up..
yea Kobo handles Ebooks from the library very well and the prices very from book to book and some are cheaper on a Kobo but it really depends on what you read and you should check them out yourself. I think probably you save a few dollars overall with amazon books but you save a lot more if the books you like can be ordered through the library.
[OP]
Nov 6, 2009
42 posts
1 upvote
Vancouver
Keas wrote:
Nov 27th, 2014 3:09 pm
yea Kobo handles Ebooks from the library very well and the prices very from book to book and some are cheaper on a Kobo but it really depends on what you read and you should check them out yourself. I think probably you save a few dollars overall with amazon books but you save a lot more if the books you like can be ordered through the library.
Thanks! Ya it make sense that being able to borrow saves a lot, you made a good point~ for your Kobo experiences, did you have to reset it sometimes because it froze? I heard that is an issue for some kobos...
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4111 posts
298 upvotes
New Westminster
iambeetle wrote:
Nov 27th, 2014 4:09 pm
Thanks! Ya it make sense that being able to borrow saves a lot, you made a good point~ for your Kobo experiences, did you have to reset it sometimes because it froze? I heard that is an issue for some kobos...
no never had to reset my kobo but i have the cheap wifi version that i bought for 66$ refurbed years ago at BB and do not know how well the current models work.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
17168 posts
23689 upvotes
ONTARIO
Ebooks through libraries do not offer unlimited copies. So depending on how big your local library is they may only carry 1-2 copies of a book or not at all. Just like physical books, if all copies are checked out, you'll have to 'wait in line'. Since you can usually check out an ebook for either 7 or 14 days, you can expect to be waiting a long time for more popular books.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2007
4111 posts
298 upvotes
New Westminster
BobSagget wrote:
Nov 27th, 2014 4:58 pm
Ebooks through libraries do not offer unlimited copies. So depending on how big your local library is they may only carry 1-2 copies of a book or not at all. Just like physical books, if all copies are checked out, you'll have to 'wait in line'. Since you can usually check out an ebook for either 7 or 14 days, you can expect to be waiting a long time for more popular books.
Again it depends on what you read and if you like to read new books compared to older books. I have found that atleast in older books sci-fi and fantasy i can either grab it when i find it or wait a week or 2 which is fine when it saves me 10-15 bucks. If i wanted yo read a new book on the top of the charts i would probably end up buying it. it is a mixed bag and i would not recommend buying a reader for just library books but i will recommend it as one way to find good books for free.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 20, 2009
8862 posts
2674 upvotes
Vancouver
The library book thing is not an issue, nor is the the ebook pricing between Kindle and Kobo. Calibre can easily convert between formats, including library ebooks -> Kindle with the appropriate plugin. However as BobSagget said, you might want to check on the availability of ebooks through your local library. I haven't found it to be very good, but it depends how flexible you can be.

I would prefer the Kobo because it's smaller and lighter, but I'm accustomed to Kobo - a Kindle user might place more value on their familiar environment. They both buy their eInk screen packages from the same source, so there's not really much to choose between them in terms of screen quality - it's more a product generation factor than a brand factor.
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
17168 posts
23689 upvotes
ONTARIO
I have the Paperwhite 2. It's my main ereader. I also have the Kindle Keyboard, a Sony PRS-T1 and a Kobo (original).
Kindle is the bomb.

I love being able to send books to my Kindle wirelessly without having to connect to a computer (ie. using Calibre emailing feature)
[OP]
Nov 6, 2009
42 posts
1 upvote
Vancouver
aviador wrote:
Nov 27th, 2014 5:17 pm
In addition, public libraries do not always have the more recent popular or best-seller books, and a lot of classics are available for free online at several places (legally). I'd go for the Kindle (ereader has better reviews, better prices as Keas mentioned, it seems that the paperwhite 2 has more pleasant display than the Kobos, and Amazon service seems to be a LOT better than Kobo's). As for borrowed ebooks, Calibre can sideload them to a Kindle, IINM.
can you tell me a bit more about paperwhite 2's display being better?

Thanks!