Home & Garden

King Bed is too high, any recommendations?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 1st, 2010 7:21 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2006
1507 posts
52 upvotes

King Bed is too high, any recommendations?

For the past little while we've just been sleeping on the King box spring (2 twins) and a king matteress. We finally got a bedroom set, and had them put it together for us. When the box spring and the matress were placed on the rails, the bed is pretty high. It looks great, and is not an issue for me, but difficult for the pregnant wife (who is 5 1") to get on and off the bed (she needs a stool).

I don't want to go without a box spring (as I dont' think the bed can accomdate that anyway). The mattress is about 1/3 of the way up the headboard at the moment, so I know we have room to spare if we drop it down.

Any suggestions??
10 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
177 upvotes
Adjust the height of the rail if it is adjustable.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2009
3474 posts
407 upvotes
Aurora
Same thing with my wife, I went to Bombay Co. and found a step stool designed for bedside. Nice piece of furniture actually, wife loves it. I think I paid around $50.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
1983 posts
173 upvotes
Ancaster
The other thing you can do is buy a low profile box spring.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2008
1009 posts
67 upvotes
go to platform type bed using slats
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2006
1507 posts
52 upvotes
Toukolou wrote:
Jan 27th, 2010 4:48 pm
Same thing with my wife, I went to Bombay Co. and found a step stool designed for bedside. Nice piece of furniture actually, wife loves it. I think I paid around $50.
That's a great idea, but there is not too much room on her side of the bed because the dressor is near there. So the stool we use right now, is a foldaway and I can tuck it under the bed. I will take a look into it though.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2006
1507 posts
52 upvotes
nielboy wrote:
Jan 27th, 2010 5:13 pm
The other thing you can do is buy a low profile box spring.
This looks like a more feasible solution (as well as lowering the rails). Can I buy it at any furnture store?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6544 posts
261 upvotes
Markham
Chigu wrote:
Jan 27th, 2010 6:16 pm
This looks like a more feasible solution (as well as lowering the rails). Can I buy it at any furnture store?
Yup. It should have been an option when you bought your mattress. We opted for a low profile box spring (queen) when we bought ours at Sleep Country.
This space for rent
Nov 7, 2008
33 posts
Mississauga
King size rails placed inside the existing wood rails may work on some bed types. Do you have a pic of the bed without the mattress?
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
25442 posts
2675 upvotes
Ottawa
Go buy some legs for the twin box springs and use them instead of a frame. All box springs come with the holes for legs but most people use a frame on wheels. Cut the legs off to whatever length you want if the standard legs are loo long.
Most mattress stores have legs laying around because the customers did not want them.
Jan 5, 2006
555 posts
13 upvotes
Whitby
Mr Nobody wrote:
Jan 28th, 2010 9:56 am
Yup. It should have been an option when you bought your mattress. We opted for a low profile box spring (queen) when we bought ours at Sleep Country.
+1. They should of told you about this when you selected your mattress / box spring. The only thing that sucks about low rise box springs is that it's almost impossible to find a bed skirt that doesn't drag on the floor now.
× < >