Automotive

Kirkland Battery warranty - how to recover the "battery core" fee?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 16th, 2019 10:42 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2009
1435 posts
388 upvotes
Toronto

Kirkland Battery warranty - how to recover the "battery core" fee?

When buying a Kirkland Battery from Costco, the receipt shows two lines, one for the battery and "battery core" fee. If, after buying the battery, you return the old used one, you are getting back the "battery core" fee - basically paid only the cost of the battery as expected.

I have to make a warranty claim after about 5 years. I bought the battery within 56 to 65 months and I expect 30 percent refund.

My understanding is that CS desk will process the warranty claim, take back the battery and issue a credit notice for the price of the battery but not for the core fee. I go and buy a new battery immediatly, the cashier will charge the price of the battery and "battery core" fee.

Since I do not have the battery anymore as It was taken by the CS desk clerk I cannot get the fee refunded.

I did some reading on the internet and the consensus seems to be that Costco runs a scam here. Was anyone able to recover the fee with a warranty claim?

TIA.
34 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
2545 posts
750 upvotes
Your post is unclear. Not sure where the scam is.
Since I do not have the battery anymore as It was taken by the CS desk clerk I cannot get the fee refunded.
If you do not have the old battery anymore because you returned it to Costco, then the fee was already refunded. You got the money ($10 + tax?) when you returned the old battery.

This is a limited warranty. it means it has conditions and limitations. If you do not like the deal, don't shop at Costco?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2009
1435 posts
388 upvotes
Toronto
motomondo wrote:
Sep 11th, 2019 10:17 am
Your post is unclear. Not sure where the scam is.
https://www.costco.ca/recycling-information.html
When you purchase a new lead-acid battery from Costco, we collect a $10.00 recycling fee. The fee is refunded when you return your old lead-acid battery to any Costco Warehouse membership counter.
They charge you the fee twice and you can get it refunded only once.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2004
3424 posts
2078 upvotes
Ottawa
andrew4321 wrote:
Sep 11th, 2019 10:12 am
I did some reading on the internet and the consensus seems to be that Costco runs a scam here.
Yes, I'm sure one of the larger retailers in the world is running a petty ten dollar scam on battery deposits.
Last edited by Konowl on Sep 11th, 2019 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Cyber bullies can hide behind a mask of anonymity online and do not need direct physical access to their victims to do unimaginable harm.”
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2009
1435 posts
388 upvotes
Toronto
ES_Revenge wrote:
Sep 11th, 2019 10:46 am
Just explain it to them at the counter, they should remove the core fee.
I started this post because, based on what people on internet are saying, Costco never refunds the fee for a warranty claim.

How to recover the "battery core" fee? Looking for someone who was actually able recover the core fee.
Last edited by andrew4321 on Sep 11th, 2019 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
24815 posts
5090 upvotes
Ah yes "what people on the internet are saying". Well good luck to you. You post on a forum with the presumption of wanting a response, and then when you get one you go on about how you don't want opinions :rolleyes:

I get it, this is one of those posts where from the outset you only want "answers" that you want to hear.

In that case here you go:
"Yes, it's a scam, you will never get the $10 back hahaha you suck, Costco wins, them's the breaks."
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2009
1435 posts
388 upvotes
Toronto
Konowl wrote:
Sep 11th, 2019 10:50 am
Yes, I'm sure one of the larger retailers in the world is running a petty ten dollar scam on battery deposits.
Not really interested in opinions about Costco, that is not the topic. Let's not make this a brand loyalty discussion.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2004
3424 posts
2078 upvotes
Ottawa
andrew4321 wrote:
Sep 11th, 2019 10:57 am
Not really interested in opinions about Costco, that is not the topic. Let's not make this a brand loyalty discussion.
I didn't talk about any opinion regarding costco and never brough up brand loyalty. I'm talking about your ridiculous ascertation that Costco is running a scam on ten dollar deposits. Nowhere did I menion any thoughts or beliefs about Costco the corporation.
“Cyber bullies can hide behind a mask of anonymity online and do not need direct physical access to their victims to do unimaginable harm.”
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
2545 posts
750 upvotes
andrew4321 wrote:
Sep 11th, 2019 10:57 am
But Costco is the topic. Kind of.

Costco has the best deal on batteries. As far as I can tell.
Obviously, you want an even better deal. That's fine.... we all are looking for deals.
But in this case... just compare Costco to the competition... Canadian Tire is going to have exactly the same limited warranty, or worse... way worse. Any other place is going to have the the same limited warranty, or worse.

You have a battery around 5 years old. And they still will give you back some money. What else do you want from Costco?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2009
1435 posts
388 upvotes
Toronto
motomondo wrote:
Sep 11th, 2019 11:18 am
You have a battery around 5 years old. And they still will give you back some money. What else do you want from Costco?
Only to honor their own recycling statement https://www.costco.ca/recycling-information.html
The fee is refunded when you return your old lead-acid battery to any Costco Warehouse membership counter.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2004
3424 posts
2078 upvotes
Ottawa
motomondo wrote:
Sep 11th, 2019 11:32 am
Then contact Costco and let them know!

Write a detailed email explaining what you think they should change.
We call this "the mature adult thing to do" lol.
Oct 3, 2017
292 posts
199 upvotes
I would want the core fee refunded as well.

I would have tried to get it back when I did the return at Costco then if it was not refunded and they outright refused to refund the core fee I would post something here.

Has the OP tried yet to get it refunded at Costco?