• Last Updated:
  • Jan 17th, 2018 11:42 pm
Deal Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
5252 posts
1905 upvotes
Richmond Hill

Kitchen backsplash - peel and stick or thinset

Looking into putting up some backsplash in the kitchen.

Has anyone used the peel and stick ones from HD? Is it durable?

Or should I stick with thinset with the mesh tile sheets?
"Buy now, think later. This is the way."
17 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
13378 posts
8308 upvotes
Brampton
IMO Peel and stick just looks bad. I had friends who want this route.

I'd do it with thinset
Apr 27, 2015
249 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I was thinking about doing this for my inlaws kitchen but it was more expensive and i have heard that the stickers peel off over time. I went with the thinset. Do it right the first time.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
9648 posts
3950 upvotes
Toronto
Personally, I'd go with the mesh tile sheets and an acrylic adhesive like AcrylPro.
Sep 27, 2015
306 posts
199 upvotes
Pickering, ON
if you want to change designs often ... peel and stick...provided if you can find those cheap...

If its a one time thing... go the proper way....i.e. thinset...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
5252 posts
1905 upvotes
Richmond Hill
What is the difference between thinset vs adhesive?

From I understand (ie google), adhesive (or mastic) is much stickier and is recommended for kitchen wall tiling. Since it's not waterproof, and not as strong as thinset, can't use it for flooring and especially for wet places like bathrooms and showers.

I am also thinking of going with mesh tile sheets so that I'm not setting each individual tile.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
2004 posts
1181 upvotes
London
It depends somewhat if you have the tools or not. If you don't are you willing to invest in them? I paid $400 cash to have mine installed by a tile setter.

disclosure: he is also my neighbour.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
17068 posts
1830 upvotes
Thornhill
Adhesive is much easier to use, and I figure I'm not going to submerse my kitchen in water so a tiny bit of water shouldn't be a problem. I've only done mosaics (12x12 iirc) with it though - no experience doing subway tiles with it.

It's probably a little easier to remove years later, but I wouldn't pick it based on that.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2005
5355 posts
2721 upvotes
WFH
Jimbobs wrote: Personally, I'd go with the mesh tile sheets and an acrylic adhesive like AcrylPro.
This, acrylic adhesive is much easier to work with.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
9648 posts
3950 upvotes
Toronto
dirtmover wrote: This, acrylic adhesive is much easier to work with.
I've used AcrylPro on tiling (subway tiles 3x6) jobs around bathtubs and (fingers crossed!) so far so good. I've also used it on an entrance way floor with 12" tiles and that's stood up to almost 20 years of traffic. My thinking is that as long as the surface is not immersed in water, acrylic adhesive will do the job.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38392 posts
12018 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I recently did my kitchen with subway tile and thinset is definitely the way to go.

The peel and stick looks bad up close.
Jan 7, 2013
855 posts
526 upvotes
Oshawa, Ontario
Mesh backed tiles (glass and stone mix) plus mastic was easy for me to do for my kitchen. Buy one of the score-and-snap time cutters too.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2005
17068 posts
1830 upvotes
Thornhill
Shaidin wrote: Mesh backed tiles (glass and stone mix) plus mastic was easy for me to do for my kitchen. Buy one of the score-and-snap time cutters too.
Didn’t know you can score and snap mosaics (never tried) - always did those with a wet saw.

bjl
What we do in life echoes in Eternity... and in Google cache.
RFD discounts for Schluter products
Jan 7, 2013
855 posts
526 upvotes
Oshawa, Ontario
t3359 wrote: Didn’t know you can score and snap mosaics (never tried) - always did those with a wet saw.

bjl
If they are too small it might be tricky. I would pull the tiles off the mesh and cut individually when I needed to cut for electrical boxes or at the end of runs.

I used this:

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.14-i ... 69515.html

It also happened that the tiles layout lined up vertically with the height of my electrical boxes so I was only doing vertical cuts on the tiles.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
5252 posts
1905 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Thanks folks. Acrylpro + mesh it is.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
9648 posts
3950 upvotes
Toronto
Gee wrote: I recently did my kitchen with subway tile and thinset is definitely the way to go.

The peel and stick looks bad up close.
Face With Tears Of Joy

I recently did my washroom with subway tile and tile adhesive is definitely the way to go.

From the manufacturers website: "AcrylPro® Professional Ceramic Tile Adhesive is a professional formula adhesive with high bond strengths. Ideal for small format ceramic, mosaic, porcelain and most gauged stone tile on walls or floors, AcrylPro may be used in areas with intermittent water exposure such as tub surrounds and shower walls. Recommended for tile up to 8" (20 cm) on any side. Can be used with tile up to 15" (38 cm) on any side but dry time significantly increases. For tile with any side greater than 15" (38.1 cm), CUSTOM recommends using a polymer modified cement mortar specifically designed for setting large format tile."

All down to personal preference, availability, price and experience, I guess.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 26, 2002
6617 posts
1014 upvotes
BC
I did the peel and stick in my kitchen a number of years ago, really dont have any complaints, and I think it looks good! Its black 1" squares with white in between, I've had many people come over and comment how much they like it and are surprised when they find out its not real tile.

I live in a really old house and nothing is even or straight, so putting in a back splash wasnt even in the picture due to each piece needing to be cut on a slant, plus the counter tops already in place. At the hardware store one day I saw a clearance of the peel and stick at 80% off.. it still cost ~$60 to do my small space but decided to give it a try. My only regret was not getting more to do other spaces, but when I went back it was all gone.
That's my 2cents worth