• Mar 22nd, 2017 8:58 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2011
1064 posts
177 upvotes
OTTAWA

Kitchen cabinet - buy new or reface?

The 30-year old light beige kitchen cabinets in my house are in good shape except some minor chips on the bottom corner on one door. Wife wants to give the cabinets a new look/colour. So we went to Home Depot and they sent a cabinet sales (Home Depot contractor) to my house. After measuring the cabinets, the sales told us there are 25 sq. ft. to reface ON TOP of installing new doors. He quoted me $4,500.- plus tax to laminate. He would give a 10% discount if we place the order before March 17. Another contractor in Ottawa quoted me $3,500.- plus tax.

Don't know if any RFD friends have come across such situation whether to buy new/reface/or stayput? Or can anyone recomend me a cabinet contractor in Ottawa? Thanks.
48 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
3056 posts
1085 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
If you are in Ottawa I can give you the info for the guy that did our kitchen refacing. We had all the cabinet doors replaced (oak), he also replaced our counters (we chose laminate since we're being cheap), and had a new cabinet with the same countertops built underneath the kitchen cutout. We also had him trim the cabinet above the fridge as we couldn't fit out new fridge under the existing cabinet. In all, he charged us $5,800 (plus tax) for all of that. The kitchen looks fantastic. I'll post pics later when I'm on my laptop computer. The guy who did ours was Tyler Raymond.

http://tylerskitchens.com/Tylers_Kitche ... lcome.html
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
3056 posts
1085 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Some before and after pics:
before

after
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2011
1064 posts
177 upvotes
OTTAWA
Hello CHICKINVIC: You are very helpful. I have emailed the contractor with drawings of my kitchen cabinets. Thanks.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
3056 posts
1085 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Rockymountain wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 8:33 pm
Hello CHICKINVIC: You are very helpful. I have emailed the contractor with drawings of my kitchen cabinets. Thanks.
No problem. He was very helpful and good to us. He even came and did the job on a weekend (and it was his birthday) because he had been sick the week before when we were originally scheduled. He worked quickly too. The plumber he recommended for doing our disconnecting and reconnecting on the sink was also really good and reasonable, so we've used him a couple times since for jobs.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2015
1092 posts
255 upvotes
Ottawa,Ont
Rockymountain wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 12:19 am
The 30-year old light beige kitchen cabinets in my house are in good shape except some minor chips on the bottom corner on one door. Wife wants to give the cabinets a new look/colour. So we went to Home Depot and they sent a cabinet sales (Home Depot contractor) to my house. After measuring the cabinets, the sales told us there are 25 sq. ft. to reface ON TOP of installing new doors. He quoted me $4,500.- plus tax to laminate. He would give a 10% discount if we place the order before March 17. Another contractor in Ottawa quoted me $3,500.- plus tax.

Don't know if any RFD friends have come across such situation whether to buy new/reface/or stayput? Or can anyone recomend me a cabinet contractor in Ottawa? Thanks.
I got prices from Deslauriers, Laurysen and Kitchencraft here in Ottawa. KC was the cheapest and I went with them. turned out great and quick turn around time.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2227 posts
537 upvotes
Paris
Chickinvic wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 7:09 pm
before

after
That looks great! Also, I didnt know changing your cabinets changed your stove colour! :)
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
3056 posts
1085 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Jerico wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 9:37 am
That looks great! Also, I didnt know changing your cabinets changed your stove colour! :)
Haha, yes it does:) We actually replaced the appliances a few months before we had the cabinets and counters done. We got a good deal at a used appliance store (actually they were brand new, but must have been overstocked somewhere or something).
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2011
2278 posts
914 upvotes
Chickinvic wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 10:09 am
Haha, yes it does:) We actually replaced the appliances a few months before we had the cabinets and counters done. We got a good deal at a used appliance store (actually they were brand new, but must have been overstocked somewhere or something).
Have you thought about re-painting your kitchen? Personal preference obviously, I just don't like the green lol.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2015
1092 posts
255 upvotes
Ottawa,Ont
Chickinvic wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 10:09 am
Im going to be in the market soon for some appliances, where did you buy the used ones?
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
3056 posts
1085 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
crystallight wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 12:13 pm
Have you thought about re-painting your kitchen? Personal preference obviously, I just don't like the green lol.
Nope, I love the green and how it pops against the dark cupboards. I chose the green:)
Last edited by Chickinvic on Mar 20th, 2017 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
3056 posts
1085 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
nikels21 wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 12:29 pm
Im going to be in the market soon for some appliances, where did you buy the used ones?
Actually the stuff I bought was all new, but they carry both used and new stuff.

Econo Plus, 71 Montreal Road (pretty seedy neighbourhood).

Their inventory is online. I just stalked the website until I saw the things I wanted. They deliver (Sundays and Wednesdays I think). Everything went smoothly. Cash transaction. They do give a warranty, but I haven't needed it (been 15 months and no problems so far). I got a fridge, stove, dishwasher, washer and dryer for I think about $3200 (don't remember exactly) and got them to haul off my old crap.

https://www.econopluselectromenagers.com/
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
8859 posts
2976 upvotes
Ottawa
Chickinvic wrote:
Mar 19th, 2017 7:09 pm
<snip>
Where is that backslash from? I'm looking for those exact colors for a client's fireplace surround.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2009
3056 posts
1085 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Cas77 wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 2:30 pm
Where is that backslash from? I'm looking for those exact colors for a client's fireplace surround.
Sorry, I don't know. The backsplash was already here. I like it so we kept it.
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
8859 posts
2976 upvotes
Ottawa
Chickinvic wrote:
Mar 20th, 2017 2:36 pm
Sorry, I don't know. The backsplash was already here. I like it so we kept it.
Oh I thought it was new...couldn't really see it in the before pics for some reason. Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain