Home & Garden

Kitchen reno: should i just bite the bullet?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 12th, 2017 6:51 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2013
3663 posts
440 upvotes
MONTR

Kitchen reno: should i just bite the bullet?

the kitchen cabinets, counter and everything is old and outdated. I was thinking of buying the stuff from reno depot when they have another 15 to 20% promo.
i am on a budget so melamine stuff unless you have better ideas to spruce up the old.
Last edited by Mars2012 on Sep 11th, 2016 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added to title
26 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4731 posts
2308 upvotes
Edmonton
If the cabinet carcasses themselves are in good shape, you can just replace the doors and countertops. Less labour, less demo, lower costs.

You could also just try paint them, and a new countertop.

C
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13448 posts
3352 upvotes
Toronto
CNeufeld wrote:
Sep 8th, 2016 3:01 pm
If the cabinet carcasses themselves are in good shape, you can just replace the doors and countertops. Less labour, less demo, lower costs.
+1
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13448 posts
3352 upvotes
Toronto
Replace doors with something that has better colour and more character, replace counter tops and replace faucet
Faucet i have, bought on sale
https://www.lowes.ca/kitchen-faucets/aq ... 57502.html

You could also go with a double sink

A stove, fridge and new light fixture would be a good idea, someday Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2010
1663 posts
329 upvotes
Windsor
As others have said, if you like the layout, but just hate how it looks, replacing doors, countertop, and installing a backsplash will do a lot to make things look new. Wish I had pics, but a friend's kitchen looked just like yours, and he did as I mentioned (as well as installing pot-lights, which was a pretty big PITA apparently, and laminate flooring), and it looks a LOT better.
One who is offended by truth, has no place among those who seek wisdom.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2013
3663 posts
440 upvotes
MONTR
well don't really like the layout, not enough electrical outlets, no ventilation for the fumes to go outside, don't really need the lowered ceiling around the cabinets. Just wondering what people do on a budget. Materials I can buy and install the stuff myself.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9561 posts
1243 upvotes
Toronto
You haven't provided your budget. What is it?
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3216 posts
570 upvotes
London
Is that a pantry at the end of the counter on the sink side?
Aug 30, 2008
836 posts
90 upvotes
ON
The base reminds me of a nice white country/cottage kitchen. Maybe google that for some ideas. Most of those kinds of kitchens look simple, clean and inviting.

Changing the countertop is a given...maybe some kind of wood to give it some warmth, and wouldn't require everything else to change (i.e. a fancy granite countertop wouldn't really match everything else). It'd look nice with everything else white too.

I actually like the cabinets, a new coat of paint could work if they look worn. I'd definitely change the cabinet hardware so it looks less "plain". It wouldn't be overboard because that's probably the fanciest thing I'd install. :P

This link has a bunch of example pictures featuring a lot of white kitchens: http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/3892556/ ... n-cabinets

On a budget I'd also add or change: the outlet cover, window dressings, lighting fixture. Maybe the faucet as some suggested, but I'd probably keep the sink.
Mar 1, 2016
89 posts
30 upvotes
Yours is about as far gone as ours was when we bought, but we didn't have the budget to redo it the way we wanted right off the bat. Our approach was to do a cosmetic update that we could live with for five years until we could a full gut. In your case, I would do all cabinet hardware and hardware for the backdoor to match (e.g. brushed nickel), matching blinds for the window and back door, replace electrical outlet with white, backsplash, Ikea countertop and stainless appliances. I bought basic stainless to tie us over used on kijiji. Took a bit of hunting, but found stuff dirt cheap and practically new.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2013
3663 posts
440 upvotes
MONTR
at1212b wrote:
Sep 9th, 2016 10:11 am
2000 max for materials.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13448 posts
3352 upvotes
Toronto
nomdesplumes wrote:
Sep 9th, 2016 10:47 pm
at1212b wrote:
Sep 9th, 2016 10:11 am
2000 max for materials.
A driving and camping vacation to the west coast Smiling Face With Sunglasses