Home & Garden

Kitchen reno: should i just bite the bullet?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 12th, 2017 6:51 pm
Dec 14, 2011
830 posts
234 upvotes
London
We did an ikea kitchen, it is really nice. Ours is quite big with a 8x4 island. We spent 8000 including $1500 acrylic countertops and $600 butcher block (for island). We also have double stacked top cabinets and 22 drawers. I would play around with their free software and change the layout. It will give you the price and is highly customizable thereby giving you the chance to change doors to drawers at a later time when budget allows. Great warranty and easily dyi. Ours is well above your budget, but also much bigger and much more complex. New is nice. You very well may spent your $2000 fixing yours up and shortly thereafter wish you'd gutted.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2008
5048 posts
942 upvotes
Whitby
Take Drakestars advice, research Ikea cabinets and go see them....its often said you have to pay double to get better cabinets than Ikea.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2009
3566 posts
442 upvotes
Aurora
Cheapest option to change things up is replace doors, hardware, repaint the cabinet boxes, and a new laminate counter. repaint those pantry shelves too, they look pretty messed. If you can get some nice backsplash on clearance that would make a huge difference too (if you're able to install yourself) I would guess that would run you pretty close to $2k.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2013
3663 posts
440 upvotes
MONTR
Ikea looks good but found the quality is still lacking. Anyways I got these other shaker style white for my kitchen.

still not perfect as I need to relocate one of the potlights hole over the stove and pop another where the fridge is. I made a booboo.

For those haters of the kitchen faucet I used for upstairs, the tenants didn't complain about it being fugly.
Images
  • Image_20171110190758.jpg
  • Image_20171110190728.jpg
  • Image_20171110190616.jpg
  • Image_20171110190714.jpg
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13484 posts
3360 upvotes
Toronto
Looks good. You lock the tenants out of the bottom cupboards?
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2001
14114 posts
4579 upvotes
nomdesplumes wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 7:18 pm
Ikea looks good but found the quality is still lacking. Anyways I got these other shaker style white for my kitchen.

still not perfect as I need to relocate one of the potlights hole over the stove and pop another where the fridge is. I made a booboo.

For those haters of the kitchen faucet I used for upstairs, the tenants didn't complain about it being fugly.
You might want to check your local cabinet manufacturers - I did some work for one that developed a line specifically to compete with Ikea. The cabinets themselves were made at the same level of quality that their custom cabinets were (in terms of construction) but options/sizes were much more limited. They said (I never verified) they could compete with Ikea on price with construction equal to custom.
Oct 14, 2012
453 posts
202 upvotes
Woodstock
@Quentin5 You probably are joking but for anyone who doesn't know, those are "childproof" locks on the bottom cabinets. In theory, the kids don't know how to pinch them in and then slide the lock off. It should at least slow the toddlers down when they want to pull all the stuff out onto the floor.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2013
3663 posts
440 upvotes
MONTR
Quentin5 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 7:30 pm
Looks good. You lock the tenants out of the bottom cupboards?
tenants live on the 2nd floor and have their own kitchen with the brown cabinets that I bought at Reno Depot if you were following my threads.
icantfigureoutausername wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 9:51 pm
Very nice but the tenants are not the tidiest.
the tenants have their own door entrance on the 2nd floor, their own kitchen and washer and dryer (same setup as mines but different color and brand).
BetCrooks wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 9:44 am
@Quentin5 You probably are joking but for anyone who doesn't know, those are "childproof" locks on the bottom cabinets. In theory, the kids don't know how to pinch them in and then slide the lock off. It should at least slow the toddlers down when they want to pull all the stuff out onto the floor.
he knows those are childproof locks and just trolling like he always does.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13484 posts
3360 upvotes
Toronto
nomdesplumes wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 9:27 pm
tenants live on the 2nd floor and have their own kitchen with the brown cabinets that I bought at Reno Depot if you were following my threads.

the tenants have their own door entrance on the 2nd floor, their own kitchen and washer and dryer (same setup as mines but different color and brand).

he knows those are childproof locks and just trolling like he always does.
Troll... wow :facepalm:
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2002
4931 posts
4870 upvotes
Toronto
nomdesplumes wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 7:18 pm
Good work on a budget. My local Habitat Re-Store here in Toronto had very similar cabinet doors on sale for $2/each in a variety of sizes and filler panels, it was a great way to put doors over stuff in the basement/laundry area for cheap!

I spent more on the handles than on the doors actually hehehehe.
I've got a pretty good friend who's seen me at my worst.
He don't care if I'm a blessing or a curse,
But he always shows up when the chips are down.
That's the kind of friend I like to be around.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2013
3663 posts
440 upvotes
MONTR
hoob wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 11:47 am
Good work on a budget. My local Habitat Re-Store here in Toronto had very similar cabinet doors on sale for $2/each in a variety of sizes and filler panels, it was a great way to put doors over stuff in the basement/laundry area for cheap!

I spent more on the handles than on the doors actually hehehehe.
In real life situation people do not have endless amounts of money so that is why alot of people come here to get the most out of their hard earned money. Although there was a thread for buying schluther products cheaper than HD, I did alot of research and got a way better discount for the building material and did the work moi meme and saved a bundle. What would easily run 20K for both labor and material was done within 5K.