Home & Garden

kitchen sink keeps getting clogged, draino not working.

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 14th, 2017 4:04 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 23, 2008
9748 posts
338 upvotes
Brampton

kitchen sink keeps getting clogged, draino not working.

I have had multiple clogs with my kitchen sink. Draino does not work so I now use a 25 foot long snake. Now the snake did not clear the drain. Should I go buy a longer snake? Should I open the drain cap in the basement and try to unclog from there? Should I do both? The snake line seems a bit to bendy for it to work properly in an upright direction, not sure it will work in the basement drain. The drain cap looks like this and the cap is positioned just as this pic:

44 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
7869 posts
2030 upvotes
Toronto
Is water back filling into other applications such as a laundry tub/sink in the basement?
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4907 posts
2431 upvotes
Edmonton
How quickly does your sink drain fill up? That might give you an idea of how far down the system your plug is. And as Koffey asks, are any other drains affected?

You might want to consider something like this:
https://www.amazon.ca/Endoscope-Waterpr ... ideo+snake. Take apart your p-trap under the sink, and start feeding it through on the end of the snake.

C
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 23, 2008
9748 posts
338 upvotes
Brampton
koffey wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 12:09 pm
Is water back filling into other applications such as a laundry tub/sink in the basement?
CNeufeld wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 12:15 pm
How quickly does your sink drain fill up? That might give you an idea of how far down the system your plug is. And as Koffey asks, are any other drains affected?

You might want to consider something like this:
https://www.amazon.ca/Endoscope-Waterpr ... ideo+snake. Take apart your p-trap under the sink, and start feeding it through on the end of the snake.

C
The kitchen sink drain takes some time to backup. In the past the shower drain backed up as well at the same time, or shortly after. This time the shower drain is fine. I believe both drains are connected. Now if I open the drain cap in the basement, will I have to deal with waste from the toilet? The washroom is right above this drain, so I am now thinking I would have to deal with toilet waste. I would rather not have to deal with that.
Dec 3, 2008
361 posts
38 upvotes
Hamilton
I've used the high pressure can of drain cleaner.
also never pour grease down drains
kevv
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
7869 posts
2030 upvotes
Toronto
cheapmeister wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 12:22 pm
The kitchen sink drain takes some time to backup. In the past the shower drain backed up as well at the same time, or shortly after. This time the shower drain is fine. I believe both drains are connected. Now if I open the drain cap in the basement, will I have to deal with waste from the toilet? The washroom is right above this drain, so I am now thinking I would have to deal with toilet waste. I would rather not have to deal with that.
So, is the shower in the basement or the main floor? Sounds like it's a clog forming in the 90 of the main stack. Once all the water from the sink is gone, open the trap, it's normally high enough off the floor to prevent water from flowing out, put the snake in there and connect your drill. Then, give 'er.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
5378 posts
1393 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
No air behind water?
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 23, 2008
9748 posts
338 upvotes
Brampton
koffey wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 12:34 pm
So, is the shower in the basement or the main floor? Sounds like it's a clog forming in the 90 of the main stack. Once all the water from the sink is gone, open the trap, it's normally high enough off the floor to prevent water from flowing out, put the snake in there and connect your drill. Then, give 'er.
The shower is on the main floor, same with the toilet. I opened the trap and used the snake. It worked for 1 day, then the drain started to backup again. For some reason it gets clogged every 6 months. This is the 5th time it has clogged.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
6834 posts
728 upvotes
Toronto
If I had to fathom a guess I'd say it was grease,fats,oils causing the problem now that temperatures are dropping and pipes are getting colder.
I have a similar problem currently though I never pour grease down the drain, but from simple hand washing off grease,grease on cooking utensils etc.
No major clogs right now though the suds back up and drain slowly.
Will most likely try some of the internet stuff like vinegar, salt etc.
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2007
3849 posts
547 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Maybe it's time to take a more in depth look. The frequent clogs may just be a symptom of a larger underlying problem. Maybe the slope is not enough? Or something along those lines...
Sep 20, 2008
928 posts
130 upvotes
Toronto
Just last week I had a similar issue my kitchen sink. I took the entire drain assembly apart and cleaned all the fat deposits. It didn't do the trick. Since I did not have a snake, I just called Drainworks and within an hour they were at my house. The technician said that drains should be cleaned out every 5 years if you normally dump cooking oil down the drain. He had a motorized snake that went 35+ feet. Within 10-15mins my drains were unclogged. IMO, it's a little pricey for a 30 min job, but I wouldn't know the first thing on cleaning drains.
Project 708
Architectural Pencil Pusher
Apr 26, 2003
804 posts
188 upvotes
I had to call plumber to snake my kitchen sink because the blockage was about 25 feet away from my kitchen sink in the main drain stack. Over the years, the stainless steel sponges that my wife likes to use built up a clog because the pipes might have a small burr that catch the sponge bits as they go down the drain. When he snaked it, tiny bits of the metal sponge were coming out.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
7869 posts
2030 upvotes
Toronto
This is my old drain pipe, at 90 from the main stack. This is what years and years and decades of neglect looks like. And it was an easy fix. Beat up the basement floor. Hire someone to fix your issue today. Draino doesn't fix anything other than heat pipes and burn some junk.
Last edited by koffey on Oct 10th, 2017 3:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
14256 posts
1545 upvotes
Toronto
cheapmeister wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 1:03 pm
The shower is on the main floor, same with the toilet. I opened the trap and used the snake. It worked for 1 day, then the drain started to backup again. For some reason it gets clogged every 6 months. This is the 5th time it has clogged.
Get a filter for your shower drain like the one in your kitchen sink. I've had this before, where the small amount of hair lost in the shower from myself + my gf + whatever previous tenant was in here built up and clogged my pipes and caused a backup into my bathtub. Remember, all your pipes are connected down the line.

I've got one of these in there now and haven't had any problems since: http://www.kitchenstuffplus.com/umbra-s ... cher-white
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?