Home & Garden

kitchen sink keeps getting clogged, draino not working.

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 14th, 2017 4:04 pm
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7592 posts
1675 upvotes
Brampton
Like the others have mentioned. Watch what you dump down the sink.

Other than snaking the line also keep an eye on the drain stack if you have a few sinks or drain with an issue the venting for that drain stack could be clogged.

Plumbing can be a PITA.
Jun 11, 2010
279 posts
142 upvotes
ottawa
Piro21 wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 3:55 pm
Get a filter for your shower drain like the one in your kitchen sink. I've had this before, where the small amount of hair lost in the shower from myself + my gf + whatever previous tenant was in here built up and clogged my pipes and caused a backup into my bathtub. Remember, all your pipes are connected down the line.

I've got one of these in there now and haven't had any problems since: http://www.kitchenstuffplus.com/umbra-s ... cher-white
I agree with this OP. Grab a filter, it's a pain in the butt to clean it every couple days because the gf clogs it with her hair, but I haven't had to draino the shower again. Also, when mine was severely backed up aka took a bath and it took 3 days to drain, after it was empty, I used draino, nothing, then I used vinegar + baking soda, then boiling water about 2 times, then I took my shop vac and put it on blow mode and set that up directly into my drain. It's been clear ever since. Good luck!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 23, 2008
9728 posts
334 upvotes
Brampton
Piro21 wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 3:55 pm
Get a filter for your shower drain like the one in your kitchen sink. I've had this before, where the small amount of hair lost in the shower from myself + my gf + whatever previous tenant was in here built up and clogged my pipes and caused a backup into my bathtub. Remember, all your pipes are connected down the line.

I've got one of these in there now and haven't had any problems since: http://www.kitchenstuffplus.com/umbra-s ... cher-white
barqers wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 4:22 pm
I agree with this OP. Grab a filter, it's a pain in the butt to clean it every couple days because the gf clogs it with her hair, but I haven't had to draino the shower again. Also, when mine was severely backed up aka took a bath and it took 3 days to drain, after it was empty, I used draino, nothing, then I used vinegar + baking soda, then boiling water about 2 times, then I took my shop vac and put it on blow mode and set that up directly into my drain. It's been clear ever since. Good luck!
We already have screens on both the shower and kitchen drains. But it still gets clogged. I bought some industrial strength drain cleaner from rona and will try it. It worked the first time it clogged. The debris which comes out from using the snake is white, chalky looking and hard. Anyone know what this material is?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7592 posts
1675 upvotes
Brampton
cheapmeister wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 6:45 pm
We already have screens on both the shower and kitchen drains. But it still gets clogged. I bought some industrial strength drain cleaner from rona and will try it. It worked the first time it clogged. The debris which comes out from using the snake is white, chalky looking and hard. Anyone know what this material is?
Sounds like calcified fat/organic matter.
May 1, 2007
110 posts
27 upvotes
Toronto
Try pure Lye. First link on my post above. It's only $5-$10.
Deal Addict
Apr 14, 2007
2835 posts
327 upvotes
Montreal
The best thing would be to get the motorized snake. My dad does it every few years. Even rice is a culprit with blockage. You can try a tool rental place and they should have a 40 foot one to rent and go to town. Then once clear every once in a while pour a degreaser like Super Clean (it's cheaper than Draino) and clear it up.

We've had bad blockages and put hydrochloric acid and it couldn't unblock.
Jan 15, 2013
652 posts
72 upvotes
Mississauga
Check this out. Found it on Facebook.
Images
  • upload.png
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 23, 2008
9728 posts
334 upvotes
Brampton
gnuman wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 7:59 pm
The best thing would be to get the motorized snake. My dad does it every few years. Even rice is a culprit with blockage. You can try a tool rental place and they should have a 40 foot one to rent and go to town. Then once clear every once in a while pour a degreaser like Super Clean (it's cheaper than Draino) and clear it up.

We've had bad blockages and put hydrochloric acid and it couldn't unblock.
Yea first time we rented a motorized snake and it cleared. 2nd-4th times used a manual one, cleared. Now the 5th time the manual one still clogged. Might give it another go, then if not, rent a motorized one. Just a pain to keep bending under the sink thou.
Mar 23, 2006
725 posts
119 upvotes
cheapmeister wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 8:30 pm
Anyone used one of these augers with success?
drain auger
I used it and it works if you are at the right spot.

IMO, you have an improper slopped section in your plumbing. I helped figure almost the same problem as you for someone else. They called Mr. Rooter a couple times and they used the giant snake and it cleared it for a few months.
I knew something else was wrong because my friend does not throw bad stuff down the drain. Also it should not clog up so quick. So I started following the drain path, in the basement I noticed it ran into a large size pipe. Its in a bad spot and I guess the contractor did a short cut and ran it above the large size pipe and then connected it to the main stack.
Mar 23, 2006
725 posts
119 upvotes
cheapmeister wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 8:12 pm
Yea first time we rented a motorized snake and it cleared. 2nd-4th times used a manual one, cleared. Now the 5th time the manual one still clogged. Might give it another go, then if not, rent a motorized one. Just a pain to keep bending under the sink thou.
don't go through the kitchen sink, its pointless in my opinion. That's not the trouble spot.
Work on your pipes in the basement. Has there been upgrades/renovations ?
Mar 23, 2006
725 posts
119 upvotes
cheapmeister wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 11:38 am
I have had multiple clogs with my kitchen sink. Draino does not work so I now use a 25 foot long snake. Now the snake did not clear the drain. Should I go buy a longer snake? Should I open the drain cap in the basement and try to unclog from there? Should I do both? The snake line seems a bit to bendy for it to work properly in an upright direction, not sure it will work in the basement drain. The drain cap looks like this and the cap is positioned just as this pic:

If you draw out your layout/schematic of your drainage line it will be easier for us to give you tips. Where is the drain cap ?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2006
6629 posts
925 upvotes
I had similar experience at my last house, snaking just below the sink with the trap removed was getting more and more frequent and finally it wouldn't do anything so I went to the basement and opened the drain pipe end cap and lo and behold, the whole pipe was filled with grease, decade of build up and once I snaked there, it cleared everything up... trust me, I am now much more careful about what goes down the drain...
The Devil made me buy it - RFD. :twisted: