Home & Garden

kitchen sink keeps getting clogged, draino not working.

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 14th, 2017 4:04 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 23, 2008
9728 posts
334 upvotes
Brampton
fastmiele wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 1:35 am

don't go through the kitchen sink, its pointless in my opinion. That's not the trouble spot.
Work on your pipes in the basement. Has there been upgrades/renovations ?
hdom wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 3:18 am
I had similar experience at my last house, snaking just below the sink with the trap removed was getting more and more frequent and finally it wouldn't do anything so I went to the basement and opened the drain pipe end cap and lo and behold, the whole pipe was filled with grease, decade of build up and once I snaked there, it cleared everything up... trust me, I am now much more careful about what goes down the drain...
Tried this industrial strength clog remover from rona, used 1/2 the bottle and it is clear now! I dunno for how long though.
clog remover

Maybe next time it clogs I will open the drain cap in the basement. The drain cap is located 5 inches above the floor. Also there is not much to see how the drain lines are run. The pipes are located behind a finished drywall ceiling and wall.

We didn't do any renovations, and I don't know if the previous owner made any changes.
Jun 11, 2010
279 posts
142 upvotes
ottawa
cheapmeister wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 6:33 pm
Tried this industrial strength clog remover from rona, used 1/2 the bottle and it is clear now! I dunno for how long though.
clog remover

Maybe next time it clogs I will open the drain cap in the basement. The drain cap is located 5 inches above the floor. Also there is not much to see how the drain lines are run. The pipes are located behind a finished drywall ceiling and wall.

We didn't do any renovations, and I don't know if the previous owner made any changes.
Glad you got it working! Just keep in mind industrial strength and draino crystals can deteriorate your piping and seals so don't use it too often!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 23, 2008
9728 posts
334 upvotes
Brampton
barqers wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 7:58 pm
Glad you got it working! Just keep in mind industrial strength and draino crystals can deteriorate your piping and seals so don't use it too often!
Yea I only used 1/2 the bottle. Just wondering if I opened the basement drain cap, would the toilet waste be going thru there as well? The toilet is located right above the drain cap. I guess it usually goes thru the same type of drain?
Jun 11, 2010
279 posts
142 upvotes
ottawa
cheapmeister wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 8:04 pm
Yea I only used 1/2 the bottle. Just wondering if I opened the basement drain cap, would the toilet waste be going thru there as well? The toilet is located right above the drain cap. I guess it usually goes thru the same type of drain?
If it's your main stack then everything should go through it unless there's a bathroom in the basement which would enter the main stack in the basement. I can't imagine it would be very pretty inside there... That's one job I can say they deserve their pay for lol.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
6716 posts
698 upvotes
Toronto
cheapmeister wrote:
Oct 10th, 2017 6:45 pm
We already have screens on both the shower and kitchen drains. But it still gets clogged. I bought some industrial strength drain cleaner from rona and will try it. It worked the first time it clogged. The debris which comes out from using the snake is white, chalky looking and hard. Anyone know what this material is?
If you check out the hydro jetting videos on youtube you see lots of this "chalky" stuff being removed.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 23, 2008
9728 posts
334 upvotes
Brampton
barqers wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 8:31 pm
If it's your main stack then everything should go through it unless there's a bathroom in the basement which would enter the main stack in the basement. I can't imagine it would be very pretty inside there... That's one job I can say they deserve their pay for lol.
No there is another stack in the laundry room. I think its for the other washrooms, washer and laundry tub.
Mar 23, 2006
732 posts
119 upvotes
cheapmeister wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 6:33 pm
clog remover

That's the problem with finished drywall and ceilings. Its pretty hard to assess things when everything is finished and covered up. I still think there is an improperly section somewhere in your drainage section. With unfinished/semi-unfinished basements its pretty easy to follow and trace the line. With ABS piping its pretty easy to cut/remove sections and re-do it. The person I was helping with his block up. We cut the line in the basement right above the laundry sink, installed a "T" drain out so he can quickly open the cap and discharge and clear out the white putty build out with the auger. Its works for about 6 to 12 months. Unless he can fix the sloping issue it will continue to build up and clog, but given how difficult it is to fix the problem this is a quick short term fix.
Nov 4, 2007
878 posts
160 upvotes
Toronto
I had a similar problem earlier this year. The kitchen would fill up after 5 minutes of running water and would be very slow to drain. I tried a whole bunch of chemical products but nothing worked. A plumber tried snaking for 3 hours and it didn't fix it. He opened the trap in the main stack in the basement and found it full of sludge so the snaking wouldn't do anything. Ended up doing a power flush working backwards from the street to the main stack. Then scoped it with a camera to show that it was all clear. The company we went with was Draincom and we were very happy with them. They didn't even charge for the 3 hours of snaking. They were up front about that before beginning any work. They said if the snaking doesn't fix it and a power flush is needed, the charges for the snaking will be credited to the flush. They have a 9.9/10 homestars rating. I highly recommend them.

https://www.draincom.ca/
Nov 4, 2007
878 posts
160 upvotes
Toronto
cheapmeister wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 8:04 pm
Just a warning about opening the main stack in the basement. If it's clogged and the stack is full you will get an unpleasant surprise. You might want to get a professional to help or have your shop vac turned on while you slowly open the trap.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 23, 2008
9728 posts
334 upvotes
Brampton
fastmiele wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 8:59 am

That's the problem with finished drywall and ceilings. Its pretty hard to assess things when everything is finished and covered up. I still think there is an improperly section somewhere in your drainage section. With unfinished/semi-unfinished basements its pretty easy to follow and trace the line. With ABS piping its pretty easy to cut/remove sections and re-do it. The person I was helping with his block up. We cut the line in the basement right above the laundry sink, installed a "T" drain out so he can quickly open the cap and discharge and clear out the white putty build out with the auger. Its works for about 6 to 12 months. Unless he can fix the sloping issue it will continue to build up and clog, but given how difficult it is to fix the problem this is a quick short term fix.
kasm wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 9:47 am
I had a similar problem earlier this year. The kitchen would fill up after 5 minutes of running water and would be very slow to drain. I tried a whole bunch of chemical products but nothing worked. A plumber tried snaking for 3 hours and it didn't fix it. He opened the trap in the main stack in the basement and found it full of sludge so the snaking wouldn't do anything. Ended up doing a power flush working backwards from the street to the main stack. Then scoped it with a camera to show that it was all clear. The company we went with was Draincom and we were very happy with them. They didn't even charge for the 3 hours of snaking. They were up front about that before beginning any work. They said if the snaking doesn't fix it and a power flush is needed, the charges for the snaking will be credited to the flush. They have a 9.9/10 homestars rating. I highly recommend them.

https://www.draincom.ca/
kasm wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 9:50 am
Just a warning about opening the main stack in the basement. If it's clogged and the stack is full you will get an unpleasant surprise. You might want to get a professional to help or have your shop vac turned on while you slowly open the trap.
Thanks for the warning.

Okay well the industrial drain cleaner didn't work for long. It clogged again today Crying Face Slow draining. Well I went back below the sink and removed the p-trap section from the double sink and used my snake again. After about an hour of snaking and replacing the p-trap, everything is working as it should! I opened the water tap on full pressure for 5 mins and nothing backed up! Not even the bathtub like in the past. Hopefully this works for a while cause its a real pain to bend over and snake a drain! Not sure why this keeps happening every 6mo or so? Some low spot in the drain pipe causing the buildup? We don't pour oil or fat down the drain and use screens too. Some sort of defective plumbing pipes?
Mar 23, 2006
732 posts
119 upvotes
I don't want to be stern with you but you don't seem to really listen. Those snakes and liquid drain cleaner don't really work in your situation. You are wasting your money and time.
Look at this photo of the plumbing clog I was working on. The snake is just going round and round and clear a little bit out. Now how the heck is the white crap going to cleared ?

https://ibb.co/gv6Qow

There is only way you can really figure out your problem. Start cutting sections out of you drywall ceiling and follow the drainage. It should be flowing downwards, if there is a spot where it stops going down and then goes up (most likely that's your problem spot).
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2010
7676 posts
1876 upvotes
Toronto
fastmiele wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 1:36 am
I don't want to be stern with you but you don't seem to really listen. Those snakes and liquid drain cleaner don't really work in your situation. You are wasting your money and time.
Look at this photo of the plumbing clog I was working on. The snake is just going round and round and clear a little bit out. Now how the heck is the white crap going to cleared ?

There is only way you can really figure out your problem. Start cutting sections out of you drywall ceiling and follow the drainage. It should be flowing downwards, if there is a spot where it stops going down and then goes up (most likely that's your problem spot).
Truth. This is the reason why I removed my pics. OP isn't interested, therefore, your words are falling on deaf ears.
t3359 wrote:
May 13th, 2016 9:56 am
...The magic eight ball would randomly say things and logic would never work. The eight ball is just a gimmick and a waste of time and effort. So equivalently, there is no possibility to "debate" you.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 23, 2008
9728 posts
334 upvotes
Brampton
fastmiele wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 1:36 am

koffey wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 9:54 am
Truth. This is the reason why I removed my pics. OP isn't interested, therefore, your words are falling on deaf ears.
I see your point guys. But I don't want to cut open the finished drywall. It is so nicely painted and perfect that I don't want to mess with it. Its more work for me, honestly. And I don't know how long I will live in this house. Who knows maybe I move in the next 5 yrs.
Sep 12, 2012
317 posts
61 upvotes
Toronto/Markham
cheapmeister wrote:
Oct 13th, 2017 10:51 am
I see your point guys. But I don't want to cut open the finished drywall. It is so nicely painted and perfect that I don't want to mess with it. Its more work for me, honestly. And I don't know how long I will live in this house. Who knows maybe I move in the next 5 yrs.
5 years = 10 more times your drain gets clogged if you have to deal with this every 6 months. Lol.
Dec 3, 2008
359 posts
37 upvotes
Hamilton
One Second Plumber clears drains in a second. It is a mixture of gases that expand rapidly when contacting water. The rapid expansion uses the water as a ram to clear blockages. The patended Universal Adapter adapts to drains up to 6 inch in diameter.

•Unclogs drains instantly (up to 25 feet)
•Go green, no chemicals
•Unclogs toilets, Shower Drains. Sinks, Bathtubs, Disposals and Floor Drains.
•Easy to use
•Economical - $1 per drain
•Monthly maintenance will keep drains free flowing
kevv