• Sep 20th, 2018 12:16 am
[OP]
Jun 4, 2013
380 posts
12 upvotes
Burlington

Kitchen sink pipe assembly glued together

Hi.

So past couple days we noticed kind of rotten smell coming from the double sink. Have had this before and Drano did the trick. This time it wasn't quite as effective. I can do a second dose but it got me thinking, why is the smell there in the first place?

Well I just emptied the P trap and ya some nasty little pieces of whatever came out. And took apart the pipe assembly and I can see with the flashlight they they are lined with whitish gunk. So maybe years of grease buildup? Been in this house for 3 years, not sure what previous owners were putting down there. Or maybe this is just naturally going to happen. I suppose this grease buildup is part of the smell.

So I was thinking I would just take each PVC pipe and joint apart and clean them with a wire brush and sponge with some soap outside. Problem, it looks like they are glued together. Is this common? Think I could use a knife to cut into the seal to get them apart?

I took the assembly to HD and guy said the top parts where they connect to the drains cannot be replicated now. He showed me some other parts as part of a work around solution, but I'm no handyman and I'm afraid I will screw this up. Plus I priced everything including a hacksaw, plumber's putty and tape and it'll be around $65.

Any suggestions in regards to taking the existing apart?

Thanks for any suggestions.
CIMG9668.JPG
IMG_20180915_191311858.jpg
CIMG9670.JPG
18 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
3288 posts
688 upvotes
Yes it’s common, this is the standard. Abs pipe fittings are solvent welded together (glued)

The only thing that should be removable you have already removed (the 2 trap adapters(white nut), and trap union)

The connection for you drinking water discharge and for the water supply are illegal however.
Saddle clamp water supply valves are not approved by code, and the drain tapping is also not legal

The horizontal 90 degree elbow downstream of the p-trap is also a code violation

Based on the fitting used, it looks as if the sink drainage assembly has been replaced before. I’m guessing the sink had been replaced at some point
Last edited by Red_Army on Sep 16th, 2018 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
9079 posts
2977 upvotes
Brampton
It doesn't take years for grease to build up. Grease can build up over a couple hours depending on what you're cooking and dumping.

You're not dumping any grease down are you?
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
3288 posts
688 upvotes
You might want to look into a natural bacteria product that’s commonly used for septic systems. It’s feeds off of organic materials and breaks them down.
Draino is utterly useless and is terrible for the environment
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Fanatic
Sep 8, 2007
5813 posts
4052 upvotes
Way Out of GTA
The issue here is the lateral run from the right sink...the gunk builds up on that side and there is no trap to block the stink from that side until it gets to the left side. So a few things

1) make sure there is slope on the pipe running from right to left side.
2) put some vinegar down there.,,will only be a temp fix
3) personally, more work and parts but I’d put a trap on both sides and run into the wall piece. That will eliminate the smell that will build up from that lateral piece to the right sink that the smell just builds up in (I had the same problem before and eliminated it by going to double traps)
4) as mentioned if you go to a double trap system you can correct the drinking water discharge fitting at that time also
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
3288 posts
688 upvotes
cartfan123 wrote:
Sep 16th, 2018 3:42 pm
The issue here is the lateral run from the right sink...the gunk builds up on that side and there is no trap to block the stink from that side until it gets to the left side. So a few things

1) make sure there is slope on the pipe running from right to left side.
2) put some vinegar down there.,,will only be a temp fix
3) personally, more work and parts but I’d put a trap on both sides and run into the wall piece. That will eliminate the smell that will build up from that lateral piece to the right sink that the smell just builds up in (I had the same problem before and eliminated it by going to double traps)
4) as mentioned if you go to a double trap system you can correct the drinking water discharge fitting at that time also
#3. What you’re suggesting is a code violation and violates the first rule of plumbing. If you have a trap, you need a vent.
What you’re suggesting will likely cause each trap to siphon the other when water is being discharged, causing not enough water left over in the trap weir to block methane gas thus negating the purpose of the p trap altogether

If your drain is smelling that bad you’re either :
-pouring things down there you shouldn’t
-or there is backfall(improper slope), improper use of fittings/design or bowed piping allowing for debris to settle, or your drains are 30 +years old

Op don’t listen to this guy
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
2610 posts
757 upvotes
Your Black ABS plumbing is glued together with a solvent and cannot be taken apart, It is in fine condition, and meets Ontario code. although it could have had a better located wall drain to avoid the one additional horizontal ninety degree turn.

You need a high quality alkali drain opener or maintainer, like some of the products here. We use these in a medical residential institution, and they work extremely well, try the Grease Release or Liquiflo.

https://www.brodi.com/plumbing
Last edited by fieldhousehandyman on Sep 16th, 2018 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."
Just a guy who dabbles in lots of stuff learning along the way. I do have opinions, and readily share them!
[OP]
Jun 4, 2013
380 posts
12 upvotes
Burlington
Thanks for the replies.

Due to the complicated nature of some things mentioned on here, I decided to clean the existing as best I could and put it back together. The wire brush and forced water took out a lot of the junk though I could not bend the brush into the lateral pipe.

I moved into this house three years ago. The previous owner had the kitchen re-done but I have no idea when. We met them once and we asked why there was no exhaust fan for the kitchen going outside. There's an above range microwave. He said the contractor failed to think of that and the owner didn't really think about until a good while afterwards. Also, under the one cabinet where there is a gap to the floor next to the dishwasher is some broken pieces of tiles and old dishes. Either someone couldn't be bothered to remove that stuff when doing the kitchen or someone swept it under there, which would make no sense. Regardless, there were some things missed. I did have a contractor drill a hole through the wall and brick and and have the microwave fan exhaust to the outside.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
3288 posts
688 upvotes
metaman wrote:
Sep 16th, 2018 10:02 pm
Thanks for the replies.

Due to the complicated nature of some things mentioned on here, I decided to clean the existing as best I could and put it back together. The wire brush and forced water took out a lot of the junk though I could not bend the brush into the lateral pipe.

I moved into this house three years ago. The previous owner had the kitchen re-done but I have no idea when. We met them once and we asked why there was no exhaust fan for the kitchen going outside. There's an above range microwave. He said the contractor failed to think of that and the owner didn't really think about until a good while afterwards. Also, under the one cabinet where there is a gap to the floor next to the dishwasher is some broken pieces of tiles and old dishes. Either someone couldn't be bothered to remove that stuff when doing the kitchen or someone swept it under there, which would make no sense. Regardless, there were some things missed. I did have a contractor drill a hole through the wall and brick and and have the microwave fan exhaust to the outside.

A range hood isn’t required by code anyway. It’s just preferred to have.
You only require it if there is no window

Most gas stoves however are required to have by the manufacturer
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2617 posts
530 upvotes
Edmonton
OP are you going to fix the saddle clamp?
warming up the earth 1 gas fill-up at a time...
You only live once, get a v8
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
1533 posts
236 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
Previous owner or builder used abs glue on the removable trap under my sink. Some jewellery and coins fell down the sink and im trying to remove them by unscrewing the trap but it's glued shut, Is there a product to Remove the glue or losen it or should I just cut off the trap and install a new one?
Hi
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
2610 posts
757 upvotes
GoodFellaz wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 4:10 pm
Previous owner or builder used abs glue on the removable trap under my sink. Some jewellery and coins fell down the sink and im trying to remove them by unscrewing the trap but it's glued shut, Is there a product to Remove the glue or losen it or should I just cut off the trap and install a new one?
No product is capable of removing the solvent cement, simply cut out what needs to be removed, and reinstall... bear in mind, you may have to replace a fair bit of the drain, to keep reassembly simple.
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."
Just a guy who dabbles in lots of stuff learning along the way. I do have opinions, and readily share them!
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2005
4544 posts
949 upvotes
Kitchener
For your health, I would install a p-trap for each drain. That biofilm build up on the inner walls of drains is nasty and will make you sick. Plumbing code needs to change and find solutions to combat the p-trap superbugs. Only since last year people are realizing now how it's become a huge infection problem in hospitals. It's bad enough that Franke has developed an o-zone generating sink to disinfect the sink drains
https://www.franke.com/ca/en/ws/product ... etail.html
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
2730 posts
1043 upvotes
Drthorne wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 8:44 pm
For your health, I would install a p-trap for each drain. That biofilm build up on the inner walls of drains is nasty and will make you sick. Plumbing code needs to change and find solutions to combat the p-trap superbugs. Only since last year people are realizing now how it's become a huge infection problem in hospitals. It's bad enough that Franke has developed an o-zone generating sink to disinfect the sink drains
Your crackpot theory of adding a second p-trap would not lessen the p-trap superbug problem ... it would double it. They would have two traps to colonize in and slowly crawl up the sidewalls of the drain and leap out at you and create alien beings inside your body which would burst out in a bloody mess.

https://waterandhealth.org/disinfect/pu ... rainpipes/
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
1533 posts
236 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
Drthorne wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 8:44 pm
Not sure what the difference is between a P-Trap and a U-Shaped Trap. but the one in my sink is definitely a trap and its shaped like a U, there is a threaded section which you can remove to clean out the trap if something gets clogged or dropped down in there, but the previous home owner put pipe cement in the threads so it can not be unscrewed anymore, i guess my only recourse is cutting it off and gluing on a new one?
Hi

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)