Page 1 of 1

Kitchenaid vs. Maytag vs. Whirlpool

Posted: Jul 17th, 2012 1:59 pm
by Mooks85
I am looking to buy new appliances (range, OTR microwave, fridge, washer/dryer and dishwasher) and am looking for opinions and experiences on the mentioned brands. Is one brand better than the other in different appliances? I know they are all the same company, but sometimes one does something better than the other.

Re: Kitchenaid vs. Maytag vs. Whirlpool

Posted: Jul 17th, 2012 2:26 pm
by jenlad
Just from personal experience, I love Kitchenaid products. Small or large appliances, I've had almost no issues.

That Maytag repairman you see in tv is FAR busier than he looks. Tried to book a warranty service call and earliest date was 2-3 weeks!

No experience with Whirlpool.

Posted: Jul 17th, 2012 2:46 pm
by lazymonkeygod
I have a kitchen dishwasher, gas stove top, and hood fan. I don't see any difference from the regular brand items aside from it's looks. You pay premium price for the look.

Posted: Jul 17th, 2012 2:59 pm
by skydec
All Appliance parts come from same place these days. Maytag kept name but that is it when bought out. It is all about who gets best parts. Whirpool is getting good reviews from consumer surveys etc. Whirpool is also putting $$ into design & improvements. Kitchenaid is slightly higher price. Appliances like everything else you get @ big box stores are lower grade cheaper parts. Appliance stores can tell you about different models and features. Kitchenaid induction range has this odd clicking ( it is supposed to do that according to Kitchenaid) for example, so my clients chose Whirpool instead & love it. You do not want builders grade appliances.

Posted: Jul 17th, 2012 3:15 pm
by Mars2012
Look up reviews on the models and brands you are interested in, don't assume all appliances from one brand will be best. I had a Kitchenaid washer and dryer for many years (almost 20); it was just recently replaced by a Samsung pair. I swore I would never buy another Kitchenaid since the washer failed when it was only a year or two old (it needed a new motor). I sure hope you have some sort of rewards credit card, that's some serious cash you are spending.

Posted: Jul 17th, 2012 11:16 pm
by Techhead
Whirlpool owns Maytag, So either of those two will essentially be the same with just some minor differences.

I have never had issues with repairs to my Maytag refridgerator, tech shows up in no more than a day, day and a half.

Posted: Jul 18th, 2012 2:31 am
by mattpiloto
Can't speak to Maytag, but in our old house we had mostly kitchenaid appliances and they were great. In out new house we have 5 whirlpool appliances and they all seem to have issues. I believe I will avoid whirlpool in the future.

Posted: Jul 18th, 2012 2:41 am
by AudiDude

Posted: Jul 18th, 2012 9:00 am
by JWL
We just bought the same appliances (except the OTR part of the microwave). Rather than stick to one brand, we bought the best value for money for each appliance. Used Consumer Reports for research. Ended up with:
* Bosch dishwasher
* GE gas convection Stove (the only appliance I would buy a GE product)
* Whirlpool fridge (french door, bottom freezer. No in-door ice/water because they have a 25% repair rate)
* Maytag washer/dryer

There are small differences in the look of our stove, dishwasher and fridge, but I'd rather have the best value over the best look.

A few of the last posts have tried to point out to Op that Kitchen Aid/Whirlpool/Maytag are the same company. Op stated this in the first post so he/she is well-aware of that.

Posted: Jul 18th, 2012 9:06 am
by JWL
skydec wrote: All Appliance parts come from same place these days. Maytag kept name but that is it when bought out. It is all about who gets best parts. Whirpool is getting good reviews from consumer surveys etc. Whirpool is also putting $$ into design & improvements. Kitchenaid is slightly higher price. Appliances like everything else you get @ big box stores are lower grade cheaper parts. Appliance stores can tell you about different models and features. Kitchenaid induction range has this odd clicking ( it is supposed to do that according to Kitchenaid) for example, so my clients chose Whirpool instead & love it. You do not want builders grade appliances.
You've posted this opinion in a few threads as fact. I call BS on this. Please offer some proof on these very broad statements (and not just one tiny example):
* All Appliance parts come from same place these days. (what place is this? )
* Appliances like everything else you get @ big box stores are lower grade cheaper parts. (The normal name brands (not high end Viking etc) sell exactly the same models at big box and dealers. Absolutely no way the sell the same model with cheaper parts).

Posted: Jul 18th, 2012 9:34 am
by Gigit
We are currently researching brands also for our home which will be finished summer 2013. I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread.

For the poster that mentioned Whirlpool issues, could you further explain? This was the brand we were looking at.

Posted: Jul 18th, 2012 10:27 am
by ceely
I have "high end" stainless steel Kitchen Aid appliances in my home that I purchased 3 years ago, and i have issues with ALL of them except the chimney range hood.

1)The ice maker on my fridge does not work. When I turn it on, it sounds like ice is being made, and after a few hours, if you open the freezer, there is frozen water all over the freezer (think icicle spikes) and hanging off the shelves - no darn ice cubes in the bucket.

2) The latch on the soap compartment on the inside of my dishwasher broke. Doesn't affect the dishwasher operation except that it doesn't hold the soap and release it when it's "supposed" to release it. I just throw the soap tablet in the bottom of the dishwasher - dishes still come out clean. I am going to get this fixed though.

3) Self clean function on my oven is a JOKE. Tried to use it once and it blew a fuse. This happened just after the warranty expired and KitchenAid didn't want to fix it, but when my husband mentioned all the terrible reviews they had online about this very same problem on many of their stoves and the words "class action lawsuit" and "safety risk" they came running. However, I have not tried to use it again since.

At the time I bought these appliances, I knew someone who worked for Whirlpool, so I was able to get them with this person's steep discount. We saved thousands. However, I don't think I would buy KitchenAid again. Their small appliances are fine, big ones, not so sure. I second the poster who recommend you read reveiws prior to buying - I didn't.

Posted: Jul 25th, 2012 5:56 pm
by linsook
JWL wrote: You've posted this opinion in a few threads as fact. I call BS on this. Please offer some proof on these very broad statements (and not just one tiny example):
* All Appliance parts come from same place these days. (what place is this? )
* Appliances like everything else you get @ big box stores are lower grade cheaper parts. (The normal name brands (not high end Viking etc) sell exactly the same models at big box and dealers. Absolutely no way the sell the same model with cheaper parts).
Whirlpool owns maytag and kitchenaid, as well as some other names. Are their differences between the appliances, I don't know. Kitchen aid is however more expensive being the 'higher end' line.

Posted: Jul 25th, 2012 7:12 pm
by airmail
If you have a family member who works at Canada post, they get a great discount thru Kitchenaid, Whirlpool and MAytag..

https://www.vip-program.ca/LoginProxy.a ... urnUrl=%2f

Posted: Jul 25th, 2012 7:37 pm
by fakishan
low-end models from any brand is garbage :)

Posted: Jul 25th, 2012 8:04 pm
by linsook
airmail wrote: If you have a family member who works at Canada post, they get a great discount thru Kitchenaid, Whirlpool and MAytag..

https://www.vip-program.ca/LoginProxy.a ... urnUrl=%2f
i'm dissappointed with that site. there is not much savings for the lower priced models. seems to be only good if you're picking the more expensive choices.

Posted: Jul 25th, 2012 9:42 pm
by woof
linsook wrote: Whirlpool owns maytag and kitchenaid, as well as some other names. Are their differences between the appliances, I don't know. Kitchen aid is however more expensive being the 'higher end' line.
They may be owned by Whirlpool but there are some noticeable differences in the repair records of the 3 companies implying that ownership aside they still may operate their own individual factories. Maytag in particular has gone downhill over the years from the Maytag repairman image they once cultivated. After a lot of research I bought a Whirlpool French door refrigerator and am very pleased with it.

Posted: Jul 26th, 2012 9:40 am
by The_Madz
linsook wrote: i'm dissappointed with that site. there is not much savings for the lower priced models. seems to be only good if you're picking the more expensive choices.
there is normally never any discounts on lower end models.. incidentally they are the ones with the lowest margin so not much to give on.