Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Future Shop

Klipsch HD Theater 300 5.1 Speakers $299 Future Shop

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 19th, 2011 12:19 am
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7523 posts
460 upvotes
Toronto

[Future Shop] Klipsch HD Theater 300 5.1 Speakers $299 Future Shop

I just ordered a set to pair with my Denon AVR-791 for the bedroom.

I think the small form factor and yet decent sound, might just fit the bill for bedroom use. The price is right, not a big differential compared to the US. There will be some audition this weekend to see if they are keepers.

The Polk PSW111 I ordered a few days ago but yet to pick up from the post office will likely go back unopened :)

Happy Hunting !!
14 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2006
5149 posts
416 upvotes
Toronto
Doesn't look like a bad system, definitely a good replacement for computer setups using the Z5500 or something similar. I would probably replace the subwoofer for something more powerful (@299, it seems cheap enough to do so versus buying the HD500) and use this with my computer if my receiver didn't go into protection mode (stuck with Z5500 + Z5300 for hybrid 7.1 right now :( ).
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7523 posts
460 upvotes
Toronto
Asad_A203 wrote: Doesn't look like a bad system, definitely a good replacement for computer setups using the Z5500 or something similar. I would probably replace the subwoofer for something more powerful (@299, it seems cheap enough to do so versus buying the HD500) and use this with my computer if my receiver didn't go into protection mode (stuck with Z5500 + Z5300 for hybrid 7.1 right now :( ).

You do know, unlike the Z-5500, the Klipsch HD 300 requires a real receiver which will set you back another $300 easy...It won't work alone with a computer.

Yes the sub is powered and you can connect to anything though I highly not recommend :)
Dec 2, 2010
57 posts
16 upvotes
ppl4golf wrote: You do know, unlike the Z-5500, the Klipsch HD 300 requires a real receiver which will set you back another $300 easy...It won't work alone with a computer.

Yes the sub is powered and you can connect to anything though I highly not recommend :)
completely agree, you cannot compare the logitech system to this. I have the z-2300 (or whatever the 2.1 system is) and it is great for a computer system but my home theatre system blows that sh*t out of the water!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Deal Addict
May 8, 2005
2140 posts
613 upvotes
Birchmount & Ell…
ill assume these would be better than yamaha speakers? i currently am using ap2800 speakers and the avr-791.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7523 posts
460 upvotes
Toronto
zerocool24 wrote: ill assume these would be better than yamaha speakers? i currently am using ap2800 speakers and the avr-791.

The reviews on the HD300 are generally positive.

It is safe to assume the 300 is better than the Yamaha if the Yamaha is from a HTIB package.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2006
5149 posts
416 upvotes
Toronto
ppl4golf wrote: You do know, unlike the Z-5500, the Klipsch HD 300 requires a real receiver which will set you back another $300 easy...It won't work alone with a computer.

You must have missed the part where I said I couldn't because my receiver is stuck in protection mode. The subwoofer in this set is fairly weak which is why I suggest replacing it with something more powerful (or waiting for the HD500 to go on sale).
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7523 posts
460 upvotes
Toronto
Asad_A203 wrote: You must have missed the part where I said I couldn't because my receiver is stuck in protection mode. The subwoofer in this set is fairly weak which is why I suggest replacing it with something more powerful (or waiting for the HD500 to go on sale).

That I totally agree...this HD300 is meant to be for smaller room, bedroom, secondary rig or for someone just getting into real receiver/surround system game. To be honest, it's not a bad deal. I did something similar with a set of KEF1005.2 (paid $400) and it was good sounding but not really hardcore until I replaced the sub with a 15" Velodyne. I doubt I'd be happy with the HD500's sub either.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2008
2409 posts
337 upvotes
Toronto
ppl4golf wrote: That I totally agree...this HD300 is meant to be for smaller room, bedroom, secondary rig or for someone just getting into real receiver/surround system game. To be honest, it's not a bad deal. I did something similar with a set of KEF1005.2 (paid $400) and it was good sounding but not really hardcore until I replaced the sub with a 15" Velodyne. I doubt I'd be happy with the HD500's sub either.

I have the hd500 in my living room. The wife wanted smaller speakers than my previous yamahas and I gotta tell ya the 500s pump. Even in my living room13x 20....
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
18145 posts
1741 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
ppl4golf wrote: I doubt I'd be happy with the HD500's sub either.
Dred wrote: I have the hd500 in my living room. The wife wanted smaller speakers than my previous yamahas and I gotta tell ya the 500s pump. Even in my living room13x 20....

Yeah, thumbs up for the HD 500 from me too. And this is coming from someone who HATES the Z-5500 with a passion...

The HD 500's sub is surprisingly effective too. The Inception blu-ray sounded great, and that's probably the most recent "crazy sub workout" movie there is.

But this thread isn't about the HD 500 so I can't say much more... other than that I got it for $400 last year from FS so if anyone has a crystal ball, maybe they can use it to see if we'll ever see it at that price again ;)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7523 posts
460 upvotes
Toronto
Dred wrote: I have the hd500 in my living room. The wife wanted smaller speakers than my previous yamahas and I gotta tell ya the 500s pump. Even in my living room13x 20....
konfusion666 wrote: Yeah, thumbs up for the HD 500 from me too. And this is coming from someone who HATES the Z-5500 with a passion...

The HD 500's sub is surprisingly effective too. The Inception blu-ray sounded great, and that's probably the most recent "crazy sub workout" movie there is.

But this thread isn't about the HD 500 so I can't say much more... other than that I got it for $400 last year from FS so if anyone has a crystal ball, maybe they can use it to see if we'll ever see it at that price again ;)

HD500 comments/comparo is very much on topic. It's currently not on sale in Canada. $400 was a great price you paid...my dang Velodyne 15" alone was $480 (close to the 5-yr lowest price and worth every penny BTW)...you quickly become a sub ho as soon as you own one of them bad boys.

If the HD500 goes on sale for 4 bills within 30 days, I'll audition them also...the size is only a tad bigger than the 300 so it's all good. Remember, I am a sub ho so more is better for me :)

The other serious player I consider is Energy Take Classic. No more low-end Polk for me :) :)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 5, 2006
6691 posts
899 upvotes
Murica
I too have z-5500, good enough for my bedroom for gaming and music.

If you want the great accurate sound, you have to go to speaker and amp.
receivers are ok, but preamp and amp combo can put a lot of speakers to shame.

I'm not quite an audiophile, but I've tweeked the settings of my dad's stereo and they can sound really great. they are decent. blows my z5500 out of the water.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7523 posts
460 upvotes
Toronto
So I in-store picked up today...

Hooked it up to my Denon AVR-791, did MultEQ with 3-4 listening positions...

WOW!!! What a piece of crap this Klipsch is! No high, no low, no middle. Just muddy like I have bad ear wax. It sounded as bad as the $250 Sony HTSS370 HTIB which I returned after 1 day. Both are way worse than Z-5500 which is enough said. Like many, I think the Z-5500 is pretty substandard for home theater use these days.

I sincerely apologize if someone found this post but also did not find love with the Klipsch :)

Back in the box to FS.

May be I'll get a few thank you posts coming in for not recommending this package LOL!!
Deal Expert
Mar 6, 2003
19712 posts
13576 upvotes
Ottawa
these tiny sat systems are usually pretty bad so it's no surprise. Only a few people do it right, and they cost a LOT more. It's just hard to get good sound of a tiny satellite, most of these sats are missing a huge chunk of sound.
Please update your profile to include your city https://forums.redflagdeals.com/ucp.php?i=ucp_profile&mode=profile_info
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7523 posts
460 upvotes
Toronto
warpdrive wrote: these tiny sat systems are usually pretty bad so it's no surprise. Only a few people do it right, and they cost a LOT more. It's just hard to get good sound of a tiny satellite, most of these sats are missing a huge chunk of sound.

I don't know what's with them HD300...just bad.

I have used the satellites from the Z-5500 with the AVR-791 and the sound was actually pretty good. I am now back to the satellites from a set of Korean Sprite 5.1 system (minus the sub of course) and the sound is actually quite good...for kicks, that Sprite 5.1 set that could take optical + coax inputs was $60 from Canada Computers years ago LOL

I use small KEF1005.2 satellite speakers (small and light) and those screamers are great paired with my 15" Velodyne.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)