• Nov 10th, 2017 10:07 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 7, 2013
56 posts
3 upvotes
Markham

Knocking/tapping noise in ductwork

I moved to my new built house, there is knocking/tapping noise from one of the ductwork to the master bedroom.

You can hear it from this video. This is not my video, but it shows the exact same situation as mine.

I understand it's normal to have noise in the ductwork when the furnace is on, but I think this is too much and it affects our sleep when it's really quite at night.

I talked to the builder, but they said there is probably nothing to be done about it..

I'm still under 30 days and want to submit it on Tarion.
But Tarion doesn't seem to cover it
https://www.tarion.com/cpg/interior-cli ... y-ductwork
The closest I can find is "oil canning", but it doesn't seem to apply to my situation
https://www.tarion.com/cpg/interior-cli ... oor-walked

You guys have any idea who else to talk to or how to fix this issue?
19 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2014
2733 posts
386 upvotes
Oshawa, ON
it's the expansion and contraction of material from heating/cooling cycle. You'd have to isolate the exact point its coming from and jimmy with it from there. most people are going to tell you this is normal. it is. the extremes you go to to stop the noise will be 100% up to you. you'll probably get used to it long before you figure out how to stop it.
signature removed for inappropriate content
Sep 7, 2015
6 posts
1 upvote
Ottawa, ON
Do you get the noise when the fan is on without the heat? if so, it's not the usual noise created by the expanding metal of the duct work.

I would look into either renting a drain Inspection Cameras or see if a duct cleaning company could locate the source of the knocking.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2006
7798 posts
1877 upvotes
Brampton
It is 100% normal. It's more common these days compared to older houses because the sheet metal is thinner than it used to be. Duct work tends to be bigger and have longer runs than the old houses.

If you can' t reach the duct to fix it.

To minimize the noise you need to keep the duct work from reaching extremes. and you can do this by running the fan constant on ( I know it's not a real fix). If you say it's only bothering you while you sleep then you can set to run the fan only during sleep hours. it'll help minimize the expansion and contraction.
[OP]
Nov 7, 2013
56 posts
3 upvotes
Markham
db9514022 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 9:34 am
Do you get the noise when the fan is on without the heat? if so, it's not the usual noise created by the expanding metal of the duct work.
I cannot manually turn on the fan due to Honeywell T5 thermostat I'm using and the wiring.
However, when I turn OFF the heat and the fan stops, the noise will still go on for a couple of minutes, but in a lower frequency.
So I think it's still heat related.

It's just pretty annoying when sleeping at night, and I feel like the noise is getting louder over the past few days.

I'm still trying to get something from my builder or Tarion, but seems like I will have to live with it for now...
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7320 posts
483 upvotes
We only noticed it after like 6 months which was weird.

We also leave the fan on all the time and we still hear it. But it only shows up during weather changes and in colder weather times, So lately, it's occurring due to cooling of weather etc.

It also only happens in our master bedroom by this one wall area. We gotten used to it once it occurs for a while but the first few times it comes back we notice it.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
3937 posts
523 upvotes
Aurora
walleye*guy wrote:
Nov 8th, 2017 9:59 am
Your house is haunted
Then the solution should be easy - hire an exorcist.
Apr 30, 2004
218 posts
55 upvotes
I did not like that noise too.
What did help- when I taped every duct joint with aluminum duct tape. Now all nice and quiet and no air leaks at joints.
Feb 26, 2016
448 posts
73 upvotes
my parents house had the exact same situation. brand new build. there was knocking/tapping noise from the ducts and it drove my dad nuts. he couldn't sleep but he was able to pinpoint where the noise came from. the builder (fieldgate homes) eventually agreed to remedy the situation. not 100% sure what they did since I wasn't home when they did the fix. I know they cut a hole in the drywall and then I think they reinforced the ducts. the knocking/tapping noise disappeared.
[OP]
Nov 7, 2013
56 posts
3 upvotes
Markham
otaknap wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 9:02 am
my parents house had the exact same situation. brand new build. there was knocking/tapping noise from the ducts and it drove my dad nuts. he couldn't sleep but he was able to pinpoint where the noise came from. the builder (fieldgate homes) eventually agreed to remedy the situation. not 100% sure what they did since I wasn't home when they did the fix. I know they cut a hole in the drywall and then I think they reinforced the ducts. the knocking/tapping noise disappeared.
Do you know how your dad was able to pinpoint where the noise came from. Did he use any tools?
I know which duct is having the noise, but I'm not sure where exactly it's coming from inside the ductwork.
Feb 26, 2016
448 posts
73 upvotes
shane716 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2017 9:17 am
Do you know how your dad was able to pinpoint where the noise came from. Did he use any tools?
I know which duct is having the noise, but I'm not sure where exactly it's coming from inside the ductwork.
he didn't use any tools. in our case, it was just very obvious because you could hear it come from behind the drywall. It ended up being a duct inside a wall shared between the kitchen and the stairs leading to the basement. oddly enough, it made enough noise to bother my dad's room is in the second floor since the room was right above that duct.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2009
3566 posts
442 upvotes
Aurora
We had that exact problem, we moved.
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
8099 posts
815 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
The issue is everybody says its normal when really it should not be happening. Its happening because over the past years builders and hvac techs have switched to thinner metal for the duct work which causes it to easily flex due to heat & it makes those noises. We have an older home which uses thicker metal and we dont have this issue. Its a result of companies cheeping out and trying to maximize every dollar they can get now its the standard and we need to live with it unless you are willing to pay extra.
0_o
<_<
>_>