Food & Drink

Know of any good AYCE Korean/Japanese BBQ restaurants?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 14th, 2019 2:42 am
Tags:
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2010
2803 posts
1574 upvotes
Toronto

Know of any good AYCE Korean/Japanese BBQ restaurants?

Feel free to leave a review of any that you've visited and how they were like, regardless if they were good or bad.

I've been wanting to visit on

https://www.blogto.com/toronto/the_best ... n_toronto/
There is a list of Korean restaurants in the link, so if you've been to them, I especially would love to hear your review or if you know of any that are outside of the ones listed.
57 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
Chako is the absolute best AYCE. You pay a lot, but you get great value for the money too.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3116 posts
1093 upvotes
chako is good, I just don't like how they heavily marinate all their meats. Makes the food too salty, especially after you use their dipping sauces. They have a large selection on weekend dinners though.

gyubee is where I go now, meat isn't marinated as heavily.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2008
4420 posts
313 upvotes
Toronto
toronto19850 wrote: gyubee is where I go now, meat isn't marinated as heavily.
+1. Went there yesterday for the first time and I really liked it. Good selection of meats IMO.
Nothing to see here...keep looking.
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2012
2151 posts
383 upvotes
Toronto
Gyubee easily. A little more expensive but for $3-4, it's easily worth it.

I also like Korean Grill House over Chako.

Chako I don't like the cut of the meat or the fact that it's sometimes still a little frozen.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 31, 2007
5252 posts
1905 upvotes
Richmond Hill
+1 for Gyubee
"Buy now, think later. This is the way."
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
johanscott wrote: Gyubee easily. A little more expensive but for $3-4, it's easily worth it.

I also like Korean Grill House over Chako.

Chako I don't like the cut of the meat or the fact that it's sometimes still a little frozen.
I've noticed Korean Grill house is serving their meat thinner and thinner. It's getting tougher to cook the meat properly, as it is easier to accidentally pick up two thin pieces, thinking it is one thin piece.
Their salmon is still very good though.
Dec 25, 2017
127 posts
2 upvotes
Markham
Gyubee is the place, a bit pricier than expected. Chako or Korean Grill House is great for late night eats (up to 12 am).

If you don't mind other korean bbq alternatives (not ayce). I highly recommend Kookminhakgyo near Yonge/Steeles - very consistent with the meat cuts (a lot thicker than most places), customer service is very attentive, open until 1 am, the unlimited barchan (side dishes) are top-notch. The only downside is it gets busy dinner time (expect roughly a 20 min wait at most) so get there earlier or past the dinner crowd rush
I'm Winston Wolfe. I solve problems.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21703 posts
17378 upvotes
Markham
TheTheorist wrote: Gyubee is the place, a bit pricier than expected. Chako or Korean Grill House is great for late night eats (up to 12 am).

If you don't mind other korean bbq alternatives (not ayce). I highly recommend Kookminhakgyo near Yonge/Steeles - very consistent with the meat cuts (a lot thicker than most places), customer service is very attentive, open until 1 am, the unlimited barchan (side dishes) are top-notch. The only downside is it gets busy dinner time (expect roughly a 20 min wait at most) so get there earlier or past the dinner crowd rush
Looking at the pics inside of
Kookminhakgyo
I don't see any ventilation... It must get Smokey in there?
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Dec 25, 2017
127 posts
2 upvotes
Markham
gr8dlr wrote: Looking at the pics inside of
Kookminhakgyo
I don't see any ventilation... It must get Smokey in there?
It does get rather smokey but they do provide seats in which to store your jacket/belongings inside so it doesn't come out smelling like bbq smoke
I'm Winston Wolfe. I solve problems.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9295 posts
3156 upvotes
Mississauga
Has anyone been to Gyu Kaku? I've been to the Chicago restaurant and it was very good. Wondering how Toronto's branch is.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Aug 27, 2006
531 posts
1180 upvotes
GTA
playnicee1 wrote: Chako is the absolute best AYCE. You pay a lot, but you get great value for the money too.
No Astonished Face
Chako is absolute imitation of Korean BBQ.
They are Chinese operated, the gas grills are weak, ventilation system is ridiculous you'd walkout with lung cancer. (Richmond Hill location)
We asked about 5 times to change our grill last time we were there.

Seoul House in Mississauga
Sadly this is Korean operated but has no soul.
They make you grill on parchment sheet, and the place is a dump.

Korea Grill House
Chinese operated. It's been nearly 10 years since I've been there. . Similar to Chako but they don't have sushi.

I haven't tried any other AYCE korean places.
If you want to get close to real Korean BBQ, try Seoul House on steeles/Yonge.
You cook on real charcoal when you order ribs but expect to pay a lot.
Seoul House on Duffrin near Yorkdale used to have charcoal but I think they just switch to infrared.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
9295 posts
3156 upvotes
Mississauga
el'ation wrote: No Astonished Face
They are Chinese operated, the gas grills are weak, ventilation system is ridiculous you'd walkout with lung cancer. (Richmond Hill location)

Korea Grill House
Chinese operated. It's been nearly 10 years since I've been there. . Similar to Chako but they don't have sushi.

Seoul House on Duffrin near Yorkdale used to have charcoal but I think they just switch to infrared.
These all aren't very good.

Chako servers demand extra tip despite a 10percent charge already on the bill. And the sushi is horrible. Won't go there again.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3116 posts
1093 upvotes

Korea Grill House

At chako (at least in the Richmond hill location) you could adjust the grill with your hand turning a knob. It seemed to have a hotter grill than Korean grill house by far. The meat also seems higher quality than Korean grill house with a larger selection, especially on weekend dinners (seafood, sushi, more meats, etc.)

I'd suggest you try gyubee, my Korean friend who used to live at Yonge and finch has tried all the AYCE Korean bbq's in the GTA area and has still said gyubee is the best
Deal Guru
Sep 19, 2006
11664 posts
6565 upvotes
Toronto
Not sure if they still have it but gyubee has a time limit seating time.
Sharing is Caring - Without people sharing info, these forums would not exist and no one would benefit from it. Don't be selfish.

They really need to show who downvotes so we can find out the mofus is
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2012
2151 posts
383 upvotes
Toronto
playnicee1 wrote: I've noticed Korean Grill house is serving their meat thinner and thinner. It's getting tougher to cook the meat properly, as it is easier to accidentally pick up two thin pieces, thinking it is one thin piece.
Their salmon is still very good though.
I prefer it thinner. It's easier to cook. That is why I usually never get short rib then the bone is attached (luckily Gyubee is boneless) as it is hard to cook sometimes, especially at Chako where it is half frozen sometimes (probably due to unexpected volume earlier in the day).
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
21709 posts
9001 upvotes
Toronto
I don't care who is imitating what. If the food is good it is good.
Yes, it's Chinese sauce instead of a more pricey Korean sauce, but who cares? As long as the food tastes good.
The location I speak of is in Toronto, not the Richmond Hill location.

Careful with the sushi though. It's an evil trick to fill you up faster. They use a ton of rice to help fill you up quicker, perhaps even more rice than what can be found in various Japanese AYCE restaurants.
Rice is cheap.
I may not be saying much nice about the sushi, but the rest of the food is still very good.
Dec 6, 2017
28 posts
4 upvotes
toronto19850 wrote: chako is good, I just don't like how they heavily marinate all their meats. Makes the food too salty, especially after you use their dipping sauces. They have a large selection on weekend dinners though.

gyubee is where I go now, meat isn't marinated as heavily.
Gyubee is far superior to Chako. I second Gyubee
Dec 14, 2010
507 posts
236 upvotes
jonathanjean7245 wrote: Gyubee is far superior to Chako. I second Gyubee
Another vote for Gyubee here! In terms of ayce Gyubee blows its competition out of the water. The meat quality is a lot better and there is more variety. But the price does reflect this as it is one of the higher priced ayce bbq places.
Raggie wrote: Has anyone been to Gyu Kaku? I've been to the Chicago restaurant and it was very good. Wondering how Toronto's branch is.
I went twice closer to when they first opened. You could tell it was quality meat but I much prefer Korean bbq over Japanese bbq. I find the meat to be of a slightly better quality at a la carte Korean bbq restaurants in terms of the marbling. Jbbq does have different cuts of meat that you would not normally find at Kbbq places. I wouldn't mind going back but it's not a restaurant that's on the top of my list.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)