Knowledge and Ability Test for Mathematical Statisticians

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 25th, 2011 2:25 am
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2007
2832 posts
84 upvotes

Knowledge and Ability Test for Mathematical Statisticians

Hi guys, I am considering applying to a position in Statistic Canada. The position requires me to pass MST. Just curious does any one have experience relating to the preparation of this exam that you like to share?

The scope of the exam seems pretty broad (looks like undergraduate to Master level statistics are involved). Is there a way I can narrow down the scope of the exam to focus my studying effort on? Any information would be appreciated, thanks in advance! :)
4 replies
Jan 4, 2008
20 posts
Ottawa
torseller07 wrote: Hi guys, I am considering applying to a position in Statistic Canada. The position requires me to pass MST. Just curious does any one have experience relating to the preparation of this exam that you like to share?

The scope of the exam seems pretty broad (looks like undergraduate to Master level statistics are involved). Is there a way I can narrow down the scope of the exam to focus my studying effort on? Any information would be appreciated, thanks in advance! :)

I am trying to find some information on the test, anything you can provide or answer on?
thanks
Jul 23, 2010
13 posts
Ottawa
The exam is long and tough, but you don't necessarily need to be enrolled in post graduate studies for successful completion. I wrote this exam once, last year, and from what I remember the exam put heavy emphasis on these topics:

1) combinatorial analytics (and little set theory)
2) sampling methodologies (there were no questions on non-probability sampling nor imputation last year)
and
3) probability theory

All of these topics are covered at most, if not all undergrad Stats programs across Canada.

There were 2-3 questions on regression analysis so you will need to know the basics, like the reasons for employing a regression model (as a means of predictive analytics, to find influential explanatory variables, etc), but they most likely won't ask you anything beyond that. (logistics, model selection criterion)

To give you a heads up on what you might expect from the last part of the exam (2 open questions) this is what was on last year:

1) They had a box plot with different areas of it circled or parenthesized. I had to describe everything about the plot. (quartiles, min, max, median, outliers, and many more)
2) I was given a short description of a case study and had to distinguish between two sampling methods (Probability proportional to size, SRSWOR), weigh out the pros and cons of each methods, and choose one that would maximize efficiency and minimize cost and variance of a survey that a client brought up for consultation.

And last but not least, don't go into the exam expecting the questions to be similar to the examples posted on Stats Can's website. Most of the questions on the actual examination are much more difficult. The only exception I can think of is the written section in the beginning of the exam. They might give you different data sets on a different topic, but the format was pretty much the same.

Good luck
Banned
Jun 1, 2009
12 posts
Calgary
Honestly, this looks like 2nd to 3rd year undergraduate statistics. I have a degree that focused on insurance mathematics and mathematical finance. (I didn't touch sampling or survey methodology, but the rest of the test looks pretty straight forward 2nd to 3rd undergraduate statistics).
Oct 24, 2011
1 posts
OTTAWA
Hello,

Can we use a calculator during the Knowledge and Ability Test for Mathematical Statisticians? Which type of calculator is allowed?

Thanks.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)