Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Knowroaming.com] Free international Whatsapp (including Whatsapp Call)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 13th, 2017 10:25 pm
[OP]
Oct 4, 2008
98 posts
270 upvotes

[Knowroaming.com] Free international Whatsapp (including Whatsapp Call)

Deal Link:
https://www.knowroaming.com

Just saw this on Engadget. Free Whatsapp use around the world.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/11/09/kno ... -whatsapp/

All you have to do is buy their $9.99 SIM card, install their app, and you can make unlimited Whatsapp messages/calls everywhere

Knowroaming is from Toronto btw.

I'm planning on ordering a Sim for my backup phone.

Leave comments here and share your experiences with Knowroaming!
Thread Summary
Summary of tips from the 55 pages in this thread:

- You can order either the SIM card or an add-on "sticker" that you apply over an existing SIM card (makes it act like a dual SIM). The sticker costs 3x as much and isn't as portable.
- The cost is US$10 for the SIM or $30 for the sticker including free shipping from Ontario. If you use a referral voucher, you can reduce that to $5 for the SIM or $15 for the sticker (new: ROAM10 promo code also works for 50% off)
- You can self-refer, but you only get 30% off for using your own referral code.
- Your phone must be unlocked and it must support 3G frequencies in the country where you plan to roam (new: 4G frequencies now supported in many countries)
- You'll get a $5 referral credit voucher with your order if you sign up using a referral voucher. That can be applied to your account to pay for use other than free Whatsapp.
- You can also get two more $5 credit vouchers with your order for Facebook and Twitter likes, but only if you click the the link that appears on your order confirmation page before you close it.
- The credits are hard to use unless you plan to travel immediately, because they expire in 2 months, but if you apply them your phone will use them up quickly through small data leaks.
- You do not need a credit balance in your account to register your SIM or to use Whatsapp.
- Your KR SIM card comes with a U.S. (or UK) phone number, and you can add credit to be used for voice or data when roaming in over 200 countries worldwide - but it's not really cheap.
- You can use Whatsapp for free (text/voice/video) in almost any country where KR has data, as long as you don't exceed 100 Mbytes/day "fair use". It does work in Canada (on the Bell network).
- Voice and video calling works on Whatsapp as well as messaging, and you can view photos and videos with messages. Receiving notifications can be a bit erratic though.
- You can use your existing Whatsapp account or sign up for a new one - but you might need to use up some of your credit balance during a new sign-up unless you use one of the work-arounds.
- 50% Off The KnowRoaming SIM Sticker + $5 Credit Code: BARCHO954 Expired Dec 31, 2017
1368 replies
Sep 5, 2016
218 posts
62 upvotes
My whats app running on knowroaming free data plan since more then 6 month. it is working flawless in Canadian networks
Last edited by guru2gr8 on Nov 9th, 2016 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Penalty Box
May 16, 2006
3744 posts
258 upvotes
Their network is terrible. I'd avoid. While you use local network partners such as tmobile, for some reason all the data is routed through knowroamings network making the speeds and ping time really slow. Their customer service is good and patient at least. The portable routers they sell are probably pretty cool and easier to use with only having to connect to wifi.

For the sim, stay away.
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2005
1189 posts
118 upvotes
Maybe my mom needs one, how does the WhatsApp work? Can she keep her own WhatsApp number?
$10 is great for Canada just for WhatsApp
Jul 23, 2005
966 posts
181 upvotes
Montréal, QC
Does it work better than ChatSim?
Nov 21, 2010
311 posts
114 upvotes
Surrey
Too bad it doesn't support Line. Folks are going to Taiwan and this would've been perfect if it supported Line.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2007
2009 posts
1076 upvotes
Niagara On The Lake
Why do we need this. WhatsApp is available where ever there is wifi, both for calls and text. Calls are blocked by govt in certain countries such as the UAE.
Come visit Niagara On The Lake
Voted Prettiest town in Canada
Support local small business
[OP]
Oct 4, 2008
98 posts
270 upvotes
StealthFinder wrote:
Nov 9th, 2016 2:15 pm
Why do we need this. WhatsApp is available where ever there is wifi, both for calls and text. Calls are blocked by govt in certain countries such as the UAE.
That's like saying..

Why do we need data plan when there's wi-fi? Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Fanatic
Jul 11, 2003
5825 posts
728 upvotes
StealthFinder wrote:
Nov 9th, 2016 2:15 pm
Parents can use this SIM to put in their kids phones and use it to text / call them whenever they aren't in a wifi area. All you pay is $10 for the SIM, no ongoing payments.
------He who dares, Rodders, he who dares------

Heatware Feedback eBay Feedback
X360 Live Gamertag: Frenzied360
Jul 21, 2013
392 posts
109 upvotes
Calgary
I can't really find anything about the Whatsapp thing except for the engadget article and a little picture, TOS and FUP don't mention whatsapp.
Jun 29, 2005
503 posts
10 upvotes
Vancouver
would this work in canada then if i put it in an old phone? Just wanted to use it for backup whatsapp
Feb 5, 2012
199 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto
I used their service of unlimited international data ($10/day) when traveling through 10 countries in Europe. Worked out great and turned out to be cheaper that what it would have cost me to individually buy sim cards in each country I traveled to.