Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

[Knowroaming.com] Free international Whatsapp (including Whatsapp Call)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 8th, 2019 9:09 am
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2003
2558 posts
823 upvotes
cpyr123 wrote: To be clear you can't stop data "leakage" only when you are actively using data on the phone. You can turn cellular data off any time and still make calls, etc. You can also reduce leakage to a negligible amount though it can be a pain with some models *cough-iphone*.
I'd want to keep my whatsapp on, so I would need to keep cellular data on. I guess my credits will eventually dwindle away with the data leakage. I might as well use my credits now to make regular land line calls.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2008
2097 posts
971 upvotes
sylvestor2002 wrote: I'd want to keep my whatsapp on, so I would need to keep cellular data on. I guess my credits will eventually dwindle away with the data leakage. I might as well use my credits now to make regular land line calls.
This is actually quite stupid on their part. People may be interested in paying for data when they need it while keeping Whatsapp running at all times (only whatsapp). It is not too hard to offer such feature on their side where only whatsapp is allowed to use data 24/7 (and may be push notifications from Google if user chooses), while the rest of the data can be toggled on/off from their app. It's a simple firewall setup that shouldn't be too hard to do and could lead to increased revenue from people paying for talk/text & maps.
Nov 17, 2016
293 posts
288 upvotes
elwebmaster wrote: This is actually quite stupid on their part. People may be interested in paying for data when they need it while keeping Whatsapp running at all times (only whatsapp). It is not too hard to offer such feature on their side where only whatsapp is allowed to use data 24/7 (and may be push notifications from Google if user chooses), while the rest of the data can be toggled on/off from their app. It's a simple firewall setup that shouldn't be too hard to do and could lead to increased revenue from people paying for talk/text & maps.
It appears they are letting traffic through by hostnames to whatsapp servers... so they wouldn't be able to unmeter push notification which talks to google server. Those push can be anything besides whatsapp.

I wonder if this thing works in cuba that would be hot. Officially on site says no, but chatsim works and they appear to use same SIM backend.
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
2841 posts
3451 upvotes
Toronto
kanata2004 wrote: How can they keep it going without a catch? Giving out free international roaming and data? No charge ? Two phone numbers included ?

There must be something underground.
Well you still get charged for using data and making calls, and they also still have the unlimited plans for $7.99 a day for those who want it. Not everyone is from RFD and going to use this for Whatsapp only, so who knows? Maybe this will last longer than we think.
=)
Aug 26, 2008
217 posts
388 upvotes
Oakville
Really loving the KR sim. I don't really call or text anyone, so this is perfect for me. I mostly use it to receive codes on sites with two-factor authentications.

I kinda wish that they offer a non-roaming sim for Canada though, that's also pay-as-you-go, and that can last for 15 months before your load expires. Anyone know something like that?
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
1425 posts
640 upvotes
Travellots wrote: I wonder if this thing works in cuba that would be hot. Officially on site says no, but chatsim works and they appear to use same SIM backend.
would love to know this as well since i'm going to cuba next month. be a nice way to keep in touch with friends if i'm gonna be going off the resort.

i feel like i'd have better luck though trying my hand at the nauta cards and rolling the dice with the spotty wifi there given how absurdly expensive every other roaming option is in cuba..
Sep 13, 2012
21 posts
37 upvotes
Clement wrote: would love to know this as well since i'm going to cuba next month. be a nice way to keep in touch with friends if i'm gonna be going off the resort.

i feel like i'd have better luck though trying my hand at the nauta cards and rolling the dice with the spotty wifi there given how absurdly expensive every other roaming option is in cuba..
No data when I was there last. Made a couple call though.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
4016 posts
2516 upvotes
Halifax
Chaindrop wrote: Really loving the KR sim. I don't really call or text anyone, so this is perfect for me. I mostly use it to receive codes on sites with two-factor authentications.

I kinda wish that they offer a non-roaming sim for Canada though, that's also pay-as-you-go, and that can last for 15 months before your load expires. Anyone know something like that?
Take a look at Piranha Mobile https://piranha-mobile.com/ might suit you better.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2004
1663 posts
736 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone know if a dual-sim phone (specifically Xiaomi Redmi Note 3) can use this sim for Whatsapp and use a Speakout sim card for call / regular text?

Easy to setup or would you have activate the sim switch back and forth sim card for Whatsapp to work?

Haven't received the phone yet but was thinking of this setup. It's for my mom so it must be easy enough to use.
Aug 27, 2009
668 posts
562 upvotes
Toronto
Clement wrote: would love to know this as well since i'm going to cuba next month. be a nice way to keep in touch with friends if i'm gonna be going off the resort.

I was in Cayo Coco, Cuba 3 weeks ago and whatsapp did not work.
Feb 3, 2013
594 posts
250 upvotes
Field BC
bridonca wrote: Take a look at Piranha Mobile https://piranha-mobile.com/ might suit you better.
VOIP call at 0.03USD/min sounds good. Data still too high at 1.88USD/MB. I feel like 2-3MB per day can be eaten just using any type of messenger. I can't order two cards to call each other as one person has to pay the incoming call rate.

To reach others in cuba I guess Chatsim is still the most cost effective option even at $20/year + $20 startup cost. It says cuba has annual limit of 5MB but since SIM itself is blocked to text and emojis only, that could be just be fine for up to couple trips a year.
Last edited by MobiShopper on Dec 13th, 2016 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2011
1290 posts
519 upvotes
zemonti wrote: What about before you drop to zero?
Are you sure that you did your network settings for KnowRoaming?
I did all network settings. It was working before zero balance.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2010
1017 posts
786 upvotes
Canada
nightwalker wrote: Anyone know if a dual-sim phone (specifically Xiaomi Redmi Note 3) can use this sim for Whatsapp and use a Speakout sim card for call / regular text?

Easy to setup or would you have activate the sim switch back and forth sim card for Whatsapp to work?

Haven't received the phone yet but was thinking of this setup. It's for my mom so it must be easy enough to use.
Le Max 2, great phone. You can easily set Speakout SIM for voice and text, and KR SIM for data.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 13, 2003
5408 posts
6418 upvotes
I found that my whatsapp notification is not working while using the knowroaming sim and when whatsapp is in the background. I have to open the app to get new messages. On iOS, I have checked that Background App Refresh is turned on for Whatsapp. Anyone has the same problem?
get what is cheap, not what you need :lol:
Feb 3, 2013
594 posts
250 upvotes
Field BC
BB88 wrote: I found that my whatsapp notification is not working while using the knowroaming sim and when whatsapp is in the background. I have to open the app to get new messages. On iOS, I have checked that Background App Refresh is turned on for Whatsapp. Anyone has the same problem?
Ya. That's the way it is because you can't get GCM packets without consuming payable data. I never got coupon for credit so mine has been this way since day 1. Didn't care for credit as it seems everyone is losing it slowly due to push.

If anyone knows of cost effective data option (say 2-3MB/day) for Cuba please share. I'm looking at ChatSim right now.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7725 posts
5238 upvotes
Canada
I am already using whatsapp with my local canadian number. With the KR sim, I would have to activate whatsapp again with the US/UK number they give or is there a way to continue using my current local number?
Feb 3, 2013
594 posts
250 upvotes
Field BC
RFDQ1016 wrote: I am already using whatsapp with my local canadian number. With the KR sim, I would have to activate whatsapp again with the US/UK number they give or is there a way to continue using my current local number?
You can use your existing. Just think it as a data only SIM card with everything blocked but whatsapp.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2010
1017 posts
786 upvotes
Canada
RFDQ1016 wrote: I am already using whatsapp with my local canadian number. With the KR sim, I would have to activate whatsapp again with the US/UK number they give or is there a way to continue using my current local number?
You don't have to If you have a dual SIM phone .
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
7725 posts
5238 upvotes
Canada
MobiShopper wrote: You can use your existing. Just think it as a data only SIM card with everything blocked but whatsapp.
Ok I have a dual sim phone. I chose voice/sms for my local sim and data for KR sim. I enabled data and data roaming for KR sim and set apn. Anything else I need to do?
Which app is everyone using to limit data?
Sep 13, 2012
21 posts
37 upvotes
nightwalker wrote: Anyone know if a dual-sim phone (specifically Xiaomi Redmi Note 3) can use this sim for Whatsapp and use a Speakout sim card for call / regular text?

That phone is dss, not going to be able to receive on both sims simultaneously, also definitely not easy to use.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)