• Mar 26th, 2017 4:59 pm
Tags:
Deal Guru
Dec 26, 2010
13660 posts
3076 upvotes
kevindurant1 wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 10:33 pm
How is this going to work though?. KODI is filled with copyright infringement. There is no way these huge corporations would just allow that to happen.
The base software isn't though. It's merely a media player. Plex can also be used to get "other" content and it's available on both the PS4 and Xbox One. Roku apps also allow you to do this, so I don't see a problem...
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
6211 posts
159 upvotes
DougO wrote:
Mar 14th, 2017 11:43 pm
The base software isn't though. It's merely a media player. Plex can also be used to get "other" content and it's available on both the PS4 and Xbox One. Roku apps also allow you to do this, so I don't see a problem...
I got you.

The thing is that KODI is just so blatant though. Plex is not. Can you really easily watch PPV live on it?. With kodi you can watch all these stuff.

I know that its XBMC but its almost like Microsoft is giving the middle finger to pretty much everyone by allowing this. Kodi is in a different level now. I mean its great and all but it really takes huge 00 to do this.

Im thinking massive amount of lawsuits will be coming but thats just a prediction. I hope it stays like it is maybe ill grab one when it goes on sale. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Diversity Is Our Strength 😎
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
6868 posts
595 upvotes
Victoria
I guess it depends... Do they let Kodi the media player installed on the xbox one, or do they give users free reign to install add-ons? I have to think its the former. I can't see them letting people install any add-on's they want... lol.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2004
4754 posts
1260 upvotes
Toronto
kevindurant1 wrote:
There is no way these huge corporations would just allow that to happen.
They already are though. KODI is already available to use on every Windows, Apple, and android device out there. What's a few million Xbox users compared to the existing KODI install base on all those other OS's and devices?
Penalty Box
Oct 24, 2015
44 posts
12 upvotes
I had similar thoughts... Ended up getting the new Shield... It has Google home built-in too which makes it very interesting going forward... Genuine Android tv is also a perk for me... There's many apps beyond kodi that I like to use...
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
6211 posts
159 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 11:18 am
They already are though. KODI is already available to use on every Windows, Apple, and android device out there. What's a few million Xbox users compared to the existing KODI install base on all those other OS's and devices?
I hear you but consoles has always been a little more strict with copyright issues. A few years ago, the gaming community had to deal with DRM.

http://kotaku.com/microsoft-is-removing ... -514390310

Im sure you guys remember this.

Im not against it, if anything im for it but it seems like they are going the opposite way of protecting copyrighted material on xbox.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2005
1610 posts
102 upvotes
Montr
kevindurant1 wrote:
How is this going to work though?. KODI is filled with copyright infringement. There is no way these huge corporations would just allow that to happen.
Note sure what you are thinking, this continues the path that MS has been following for a while, MS went out of their way to get KODI in the app store.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2013
6211 posts
159 upvotes
drdrma wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 12:41 pm
Note sure what you are thinking, this continues the path that MS has been following for a while, MS went out of their way to get KODI in the app store.
Huh?.

XBMC is their creation. Why did they take it out then?.

Clearly, they didnt want it on the xbox after the first generation.
Deal Guru
Dec 26, 2010
13660 posts
3076 upvotes
kevindurant1 wrote:
Mar 15th, 2017 12:28 am
I got you.

The thing is that KODI is just so blatant though. Plex is not. Can you really easily watch PPV live on it?. With kodi you can watch all these stuff.
Sure. Look under unsupported App Store or unsupported channels. Easy to add things into Plex if you know what you are doing. Heck, even the Roku now allows IPTV services through Private Channels.
Deal Guru
Dec 26, 2010
13660 posts
3076 upvotes
kevindurant1 wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 1:25 pm
Huh?.

XBMC is their creation. Why did they take it out then?.

Clearly, they didnt want it on the xbox after the first generation.
XBMC is NOT a Microsoft product:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kodi_(software)

I remember home brew projects like this one. You had to hack your Xbox with build it yourself adapters and then run an exploit to allow you to take over the dashboard of the Xbox and add your own software. It was quite the task but there was a real sense of accomplishment when you got it to work. Those were the days...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
6868 posts
595 upvotes
Victoria
DougO wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 9:54 pm

I remember home brew projects like this one. You had to hack your Xbox with build it yourself adapters and then run an exploit to allow you to take over the dashboard of the Xbox and add your own software. It was quite the task but there was a real sense of accomplishment when you got it to work. Those were the days...
Yah it was the modded xbox scene that let you backup all your games onto a bigger hard drive so you could be lazy and not deal with discs. Another great example of homebrew (And I guess pirating) being well ahead of its' time :)
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2002
2449 posts
268 upvotes
BC
DougO wrote:
Mar 16th, 2017 9:54 pm

Or you could solder two connections to make the bios chip writable. It was a really easy mod, but a lot trickier when I was 16.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2005
1285 posts
27 upvotes
kevindurant1 wrote:
There's already a number of free movie and cartoon apps available on the Xbox one that are blatant pirate apps. Much worse than Kodi as they only have one possible use.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2008
2835 posts
410 upvotes
GTA
Great news!! I almost bought the nvidia shield but now I can skip all that and save money.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel