Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Koodo

$360 Essential Phone is back again

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 6th, 2018 9:27 pm
Deal Expert
Feb 13, 2012
16158 posts
5680 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Has anyone experienced, when charging the phone, the notification light would go from red to yellow (as it's supposed to), but seems to remain at yellow forever? I actually got tired of waiting for it to turn green, and unplugged it so I could start using it. Mind you, I just unboxed mine, and charged it for the first time, after sitting for about 6 months, so maybe that was the problem.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2008
1459 posts
629 upvotes
Canada
Rogido wrote: Has anyone experienced, when charging the phone, the notification light would go from red to yellow (as it's supposed to), but seems to remain at yellow forever? I actually got tired of waiting for it to turn green, and unplugged it so I could start using it. Mind you, I just unboxed mine, and charged it for the first time, after sitting for about 6 months, so maybe that was the problem.
How long was that forever? The original charger and cable charge very quick, but it'd take about a couple of hours to charge from near empty to full.
Deal Expert
Feb 13, 2012
16158 posts
5680 upvotes
VANCOUVER
tntdeal wrote: How long was that forever? The original charger and cable charge very quick, but it'd take about a couple of hours to charge from near empty to full.
It was at least a couple of hours. When I first plugged it in, the red light was blinking, then it turned to solid red, then to yellow. I'll try again and see what happens.
Jun 21, 2010
781 posts
628 upvotes
London
For those who are on Android 9 "P".

Essential is first out the gate again.

The July the latest "P" updates and July 2018 security patch updates are available for download.
Images
  • Screenshot_20180703-080254.png
TELUS Mobility
CAN/US $30 75GB x 4
CAN/US POM Tablet $0.00 x 2
Deal Expert
Feb 13, 2012
16158 posts
5680 upvotes
VANCOUVER
tntdeal wrote: How long was that forever? The original charger and cable charge very quick, but it'd take about a couple of hours to charge from near empty to full.
After updating to the latest Oreo version, the charging notification light appears to go from red to green, without the amber in between. I plugged it in and left it overnight. At least this time it did go to green, but the coffee cup icon never stopped scrolling. But when I turned the phone on, it indicated the battery was 100% charged. Overall, my initial impression of this phone, aside from this charging oddity/glitch, is that it's a great phone. Of course, for the my cost of $210, it's a freakin' bargain! Its fast and smooth, and looks great.
Deal Expert
Feb 13, 2012
16158 posts
5680 upvotes
VANCOUVER
norrric wrote: For those who are on Android 9 "P".

Essential is first out the gate again.

The July the latest "P" updates and July 2018 security patch updates are available for download.
Any significant change in how the phone functions, good or bad, after updating to P? I find for most phones, the limit for OS version updates is 2. Beyond that, usually the hardware can't keep up and the update seems to do more harm than good.
Jun 21, 2010
781 posts
628 upvotes
London
Rogido wrote: Any significant change in how the phone functions, good or bad, after updating to P? I find for most phones, the limit for OS version updates is 2. Beyond that, usually the hardware can't keep up and the update seems to do more harm than good.
Quite the opposite. Android 9, is solid even though it's in final beta. The new features in 9 are awesome. The phone runs so smooth, and fast. There are no hardware issues. It runs better than when I got it on 7, and still better than when I had it on 8. No lag, or other issues. Camera is good, better then when I first got it. Battery seems to last longer with Android 9, than it did with Android 8. All and all, it is worth the little bit of work to unlock the bootloader and upgrade to 9
TELUS Mobility
CAN/US $30 75GB x 4
Jun 21, 2010
781 posts
628 upvotes
London
Rogido wrote: After updating to the latest Oreo version, the charging notification light appears to go from red to green, without the amber in between. I plugged it in and left it overnight. At least this time it did go to green, but the coffee cup icon never stopped scrolling. But when I turned the phone on, it indicated the battery was 100% charged. Overall, my initial impression of this phone, aside from this charging oddity/glitch, is that it's a great phone. Of course, for the my cost of $210, it's a freakin' bargain! Its fast and smooth, and looks great.
My charge indicator goes one of two ways.

When the phone is turned off and charging, the indicator goes from red to green. Switching colours once it hits 90% charge.

When the phone is turned on and charging, the indicator goes from yellow to green. Also switching colours at 90% charge.

You are very correct, there is no phone at $210 that can touch it.
TELUS Mobility
CAN/US $30 75GB x 4
Deal Expert
Feb 13, 2012
16158 posts
5680 upvotes
VANCOUVER
norrric wrote: My charge indicator goes one of two ways.

When the phone is turned off and charging, the indicator goes from red to green. Switching colours once it hits 90% charge.

When the phone is turned on and charging, the indicator goes from yellow to green. Also switching colours at 90% charge.

You are very correct, there is no phone at $210 that can touch it.
The weird part was the charging icon, the thing that looks like a coffee cup, didn't stop scrolling, even though the phone was apparently 100% charged. Astonished Face Does yours do that too?
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29539 posts
20458 upvotes
Rogido wrote: The weird part was the charging icon, the thing that looks like a coffee cup, didn't stop scrolling, even though the phone was apparently 100% charged. Astonished Face Does yours do that too?
This is the exact behavior. Install accubattery and do the charging with the phone on if you want to do some health monitoring. This app integrates the charge and does a simple calculation of battery capacity based on the change in capacity from start to finish in a charge cycle.
Public Mobile customer, $34/50GB CAN-US, $29/30GB, $24/4GB
Tangerine, EQ, Simplii, HSBC customer
Jun 21, 2010
781 posts
628 upvotes
London
Rogido wrote: The weird part was the charging icon, the thing that looks like a coffee cup, didn't stop scrolling, even though the phone was apparently 100% charged. Astonished Face Does yours do that too?
Yes. The top 2 bars continue to go from two bars to one bar, then repeat two bars to one bar. Normally I pull it of the charger as soon as I notice the indicator light switched to green. That's if I catch the colours switch... tee hee hee. Usually I catch it somewhere between 90% -95%
TELUS Mobility
CAN/US $30 75GB x 4
Feb 16, 2011
289 posts
145 upvotes
FWIW, essential just released android 9.0 for the phone. Just downloaded now.
For all the people who think this phone is crap, I must say for the price beats all the others Samsung LG etc. Who will take months to upgrade their devices - If they ever will.