• Last Updated:
  • Jul 3rd, 2018 9:40 pm
Jun 21, 2010
142 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
For those who are on Android 9 "P".

Essential is first out the gate again.

The July the latest "P" updates and July 2018 security patch updates are available for download.
Images
  • Screenshot_20180703-080254.png
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2010
5364 posts
1855 upvotes
Canada
July update is out for Oreo as well
Koodo customer
Tangerine customer
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
11015 posts
2196 upvotes
VANCOUVER
tntdeal wrote:
Jul 1st, 2018 7:28 am
How long was that forever? The original charger and cable charge very quick, but it'd take about a couple of hours to charge from near empty to full.
After updating to the latest Oreo version, the charging notification light appears to go from red to green, without the amber in between. I plugged it in and left it overnight. At least this time it did go to green, but the coffee cup icon never stopped scrolling. But when I turned the phone on, it indicated the battery was 100% charged. Overall, my initial impression of this phone, aside from this charging oddity/glitch, is that it's a great phone. Of course, for the my cost of $210, it's a freakin' bargain! Its fast and smooth, and looks great.
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
11015 posts
2196 upvotes
VANCOUVER
norrric wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2018 8:10 am
For those who are on Android 9 "P".

Essential is first out the gate again.

The July the latest "P" updates and July 2018 security patch updates are available for download.
Any significant change in how the phone functions, good or bad, after updating to P? I find for most phones, the limit for OS version updates is 2. Beyond that, usually the hardware can't keep up and the update seems to do more harm than good.
Jun 21, 2010
142 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
Rogido wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2018 12:49 pm
Any significant change in how the phone functions, good or bad, after updating to P? I find for most phones, the limit for OS version updates is 2. Beyond that, usually the hardware can't keep up and the update seems to do more harm than good.
Quite the opposite. Android 9, is solid even though it's in final beta. The new features in 9 are awesome. The phone runs so smooth, and fast. There are no hardware issues. It runs better than when I got it on 7, and still better than when I had it on 8. No lag, or other issues. Camera is good, better then when I first got it. Battery seems to last longer with Android 9, than it did with Android 8. All and all, it is worth the little bit of work to unlock the bootloader and upgrade to 9
Jun 21, 2010
142 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
Rogido wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2018 12:48 pm
After updating to the latest Oreo version, the charging notification light appears to go from red to green, without the amber in between. I plugged it in and left it overnight. At least this time it did go to green, but the coffee cup icon never stopped scrolling. But when I turned the phone on, it indicated the battery was 100% charged. Overall, my initial impression of this phone, aside from this charging oddity/glitch, is that it's a great phone. Of course, for the my cost of $210, it's a freakin' bargain! Its fast and smooth, and looks great.
My charge indicator goes one of two ways.

When the phone is turned off and charging, the indicator goes from red to green. Switching colours once it hits 90% charge.

When the phone is turned on and charging, the indicator goes from yellow to green. Also switching colours at 90% charge.

You are very correct, there is no phone at $210 that can touch it.
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
11015 posts
2196 upvotes
VANCOUVER
norrric wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2018 2:45 pm
My charge indicator goes one of two ways.

When the phone is turned off and charging, the indicator goes from red to green. Switching colours once it hits 90% charge.

When the phone is turned on and charging, the indicator goes from yellow to green. Also switching colours at 90% charge.

You are very correct, there is no phone at $210 that can touch it.
The weird part was the charging icon, the thing that looks like a coffee cup, didn't stop scrolling, even though the phone was apparently 100% charged. Astonished Face Does yours do that too?
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
15146 posts
4118 upvotes
Toronto
Rogido wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2018 8:28 pm
The weird part was the charging icon, the thing that looks like a coffee cup, didn't stop scrolling, even though the phone was apparently 100% charged. Astonished Face Does yours do that too?
This is the exact behavior. Install accubattery and do the charging with the phone on if you want to do some health monitoring. This app integrates the charge and does a simple calculation of battery capacity based on the change in capacity from start to finish in a charge cycle.
Koodo $40/6GB plan
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo plan $120/12GB/90 days
Fido $0 data plan
Rogers $25 500U home internet plan
Jun 21, 2010
142 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
Rogido wrote:
Jul 3rd, 2018 8:28 pm
Yes. The top 2 bars continue to go from two bars to one bar, then repeat two bars to one bar. Normally I pull it of the charger as soon as I notice the indicator light switched to green. That's if I catch the colours switch... tee hee hee. Usually I catch it somewhere between 90% -95%

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)