• May 17th, 2018 4:45 pm
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2003
6433 posts
546 upvotes
Toronto
SonyCanWoes wrote:
Dec 15th, 2017 2:54 pm
Not sure if anybody's posted success about switching to this from an OOP plan so I figure I'd confirm it works fine as well as new lines being "new activations" and able to add this plan on since some people earlier said they were not new activations.

- Added a line to the original account to avoid taking a credit check hit the way a new account activation would, and because I didn't care if any "eyes" saw it since I was closing the OOP line anyways and replacing it with a legit line. Adding a line counts as a new activation so plan was added to the new line. Chose a new number.

- Got a new postpaid sim and prepaid sim (do not port to prepaid first as some have suggested on RFD in case something happens to mess up the sign up. Koodo's system is clogged/acting up right now and I had issues completing the sign up. This will probably get worse later in the day. There is no advantage and you can just do this step after you already sign up for the 10GB plan).

- Signed up the prepaid sim and ported old number from OOP plan to it, which instantly closed that line and bill got reduced.

- Went on to new line and ported old number that was now on the prepaid sim on to the new postpaid sim. Port went through immediately and tested.

Icing on the cake was that I got both sims for free so no extra cost to swap to this plan. Now on legit plan and no more being scared of being booted off the QC plan. I didn't bother with referral code credit but that could have been done too. Whole process shouldn't take more than 10 min total.

Telus will have a promo tomorrow to match Rogers and Virgin will have this tomorrow to match Koodo. Was told Virgin's is $55/month for 10GB for first year then $65/month from then on.

Good luck everybody.
I just called in and got it done. No porting needed.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2008
3728 posts
1320 upvotes
Toronto
SonyCanWoes wrote:
Dec 15th, 2017 2:54 pm
Not sure if anybody's posted success about switching to this from an OOP plan so I figure I'd confirm it works fine as well as new lines being "new activations" and able to add this plan on since some people earlier said they were not new activations.

- Added a line to the original account to avoid taking a credit check hit the way a new account activation would, and because I didn't care if any "eyes" saw it since I was closing the OOP line anyways and replacing it with a legit line. Adding a line counts as a new activation so plan was added to the new line. Chose a new number.

- Got a new postpaid sim and prepaid sim (do not port to prepaid first as some have suggested on RFD in case something happens to mess up the sign up. Koodo's system is clogged/acting up right now and I had issues completing the sign up. This will probably get worse later in the day. There is no advantage and you can just do this step after you already sign up for the 10GB plan).

- Signed up the prepaid sim and ported old number from OOP plan to it, which instantly closed that line and bill got reduced.

- Went on to new line and ported old number that was now on the prepaid sim on to the new postpaid sim. Port went through immediately and tested.

Icing on the cake was that I got both sims for free so no extra cost to swap to this plan. Now on legit plan and no more being scared of being booted off the QC plan. I didn't bother with referral code credit but that could have been done too. Whole process shouldn't take more than 10 min total. For people who don't want to wait on hold for an hour only to be possibly rejected by a CSR, just do it this way and save yourself some time and aggravation.

Telus will have a promo tomorrow to match Rogers and Virgin will have this tomorrow to match Koodo. Was told Virgin's is $55/month for 10GB for first year then $65/month from then on.

Good luck everybody.
exactly the info i was looking for, quoting for future reference. Thanks man
Current KOODO and FIDO customer😎
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2014
4622 posts
2135 upvotes
soupman wrote:
Dec 15th, 2017 2:50 pm
potentially stupid question: do koodo customers get the same service by being on the same network as telus? i'd rather go with telus (presuming they match), but part of me thinks it's 6 of one and half a dozen of the other situation...

edit: speeelingg
With TELUS, you will get better customer service, VoLTE, Wi-Fi Calling, and most features before Koodo. Koodo offers free international texting vs. TELUS' Canada-Wide. That is basically the only thing Koodo is better.
Last edited by hvwozq on Dec 15th, 2017 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Penalty Box
Aug 17, 2012
1389 posts
529 upvotes
Windsor
randomkidx wrote:
Dec 15th, 2017 2:52 pm
lol nope
I know one of my friend got screwed with qc plan ..
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2008
3728 posts
1320 upvotes
Toronto
taurus25 wrote:
Dec 15th, 2017 2:56 pm
no way it was cause of referrals, he must have called it and got his account flagged
Current KOODO and FIDO customer😎
Nov 27, 2010
293 posts
35 upvotes
Mississauga
taurus25 wrote:
what happened?
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2014
4622 posts
2135 upvotes
Lamjohn wrote:
Dec 15th, 2017 2:52 pm
Existing customer with Ontario #
MB/SK plan 48/5GB

just tried to call
got a NO from CSR then she transferred to
" Support team" Got NO also

she even said the MB/SK plan im on is a very good plan and usually if they see an Ontario # on a MB/SK Plan they have to switch people over but....she going let me keep my plan

i said i can technically port out and port back in on a new line and get the promo but its such a big hassle

she said you technically can but that would be " UNETHICAL" and " SRY New activations only"

i guess ill try again later tonight
:lol: But it is not unethical to let you keep the out of province plan when she is supposed to change it? What a weird rep.
Penalty Box
Aug 17, 2012
1389 posts
529 upvotes
Windsor
vivek1042004 wrote:
Dec 15th, 2017 2:57 pm
what happened?
They asked him to change the plan or loose the number ... So went ahead with gettinh qc number ...
Nov 21, 2010
649 posts
156 upvotes
Canada
I was able to get the plan put on my current account and old one removed. I should say, by calling support.
Last edited by likebutta on Dec 15th, 2017 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
May 22, 2005
2650 posts
175 upvotes
Call is taking forever... Wonder if I'd have any luck going to a Koodo store and having them change my plan from the MB/SK
Jan 27, 2011
402 posts
207 upvotes
hvwozq wrote:
With TELUS, you will get better customer service, VoLTE, Wi-Fi Calling, and most features before Koodo. Koodo offers free international texting vs. TELUS' Canada-Wide. That is basically the only thing Koodo is better.
thanks!
i have a few friends with US #s, so koodo might make sense. do you know if they're adding VoLTE/WiFi calling soon?
Nov 17, 2003
884 posts
182 upvotes
Edmonton
I'm gonna call telus retentions just to see what I can dig out of them.

R U PACKIN HEAT
?
Feb 24, 2007
445 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
SamuraiPizzaCat wrote:
Dec 15th, 2017 2:42 pm
Is it possible to switch to this from Telus? Asking for my wife.
Yes, I ported directly from Telus.
Oct 12, 2016
414 posts
92 upvotes
can i switch from chattr call and text only plan to koodo one?
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
2545 posts
1202 upvotes
Toronto
Damn the thread moved so many times. I should have called in first to retentions.

I went to the store and opened a new line and had to get a new SIM...they said if I call in I should be able to port my number to the new line.

Oh well, I'll eat the cost.