Cell Phones

Koodo Blacklisted my Phone, is this legal?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 16th, 2017 11:35 am
[OP]
Jun 14, 2010
335 posts
229 upvotes
Toronto

Koodo Blacklisted my Phone, is this legal?

So I signed up for a new plan and phone. Did a credit check and had to call in at the store to answer some questions regarding my credit profile. No issues, I go home with my plan and phone. I was planning to keep the plan for 3 months and then cancel and keep the phone.

Fast forward, 4 days later, I get a text saying my service from Koodo has been suspended and to call in. The Koodo rep tells me I need to email them 2 pieces of photo ID and proof of address (bill not from Koodo) to have the account reactivated. I offer to go into a store and show my ID, but he says it can only be emailed in. I ask if they can just leave the account cancelled and have them send me a bill for the phone. He said yes no problem. I will get the bill in a few weeks.

Fast forward to the next day, the phone suddenly stops working. Check the IMEI and its blacklisted. I called back and they refused to give me any information and said to call their fraud department, which is closed.

I will call them tomorrow, but want to know, is this legal? I am willing to pay for the phone. I am fine that they don't want to offer service to me, but this all seems a little strange.
19 replies
Nov 15, 2005
336 posts
115 upvotes
Are you still within the buyers remorse policy?

If so, I would return the phone to the store or get an exchange.
[OP]
Jun 14, 2010
335 posts
229 upvotes
Toronto
Pykes wrote:
Jun 14th, 2017 6:52 pm
Are you still within the buyers remorse policy?

If so, I would return the phone to the store or get an exchange.
I doubt it. I used the service quite a bit (data and text).
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
20427 posts
1919 upvotes
Toronto
thinking it is a mix-up........for some reason, Koodo has flagged your credit info as something shady and hence why they asked for 2 pieces of id emailed to them (this is probably to the Fraud department).

The general rep that you talked to about cancelling the service is just a general rep - and the cancellation request was probably sent to Billing department.

Fraud Department doesn't know that you cancelled and ok to pay for the phone (Billing didn't tell them and even the general rep mentioned that you would get a bill for the phone in a few wks) - and since Fraud hasn't received the 2 pcs of info they requested, they blacklisted the phone...

Best that you send in the 2 pcs of info to unblacklist the phone and then pay the bill in a few weeks for the phone. Otherwise, it will be a huge headache once your account is closed and your phone is still blacklisted.

Something similar happened to me with Bell - man, what a gong show...
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2509 posts
602 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Just send 2 pieces of ID to avoid further issues.
It shouldn't be sent to collection since it's considered "Fraud" but you don't want to take that risk.
You risk getting your credit screwed AND end up with a useless blacklisted phone.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16579 posts
6462 upvotes
Oakville
Yeah, they're asking for ID because your account is flagged for fraud for whatever reason. They blacklisted you because you refused to send in the ID. This is literally the only thing the blacklist is good for, protecting companies from fraudulent account sign ups.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
5414 posts
3281 upvotes
wearysky wrote:
Jun 15th, 2017 9:47 am
Yeah, they're asking for ID because your account is flagged for fraud for whatever reason. They blacklisted you because you refused to send in the ID. This is literally the only thing the blacklist is good for, protecting companies from fraudulent account sign ups.
Fido, Rogers, TELUS forums say the only way a phone can get blacklisted is if the owner reports it lost/stolen. ROBELUS is using the blacklist system for things it was not intended for, which is weird because aren't they the ones who started it in Canada?
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16579 posts
6462 upvotes
Oakville
hvwozq wrote:
Jun 15th, 2017 10:02 am
Fido, Rogers, TELUS forums say the only way a phone can get blacklisted is if the owner reports it lost/stolen. ROBELUS is using the blacklist system for things it was not intended for, which is weird because aren't they the ones who started it in Canada?
In the case of a fraudulent purchase, ROBELUS are considering the phone to be stolen FROM THEM. So no, not really an abuse of the system.
Nov 10, 2013
955 posts
305 upvotes
Toronto, ON
And to add to the insult, OP was totally fine with providing 2 pieces of ID, except he didn't want to do it over email. How silly it is for fraud department to force someone to email an ID (which can be photoshopped within a matter of hours)?!
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
18688 posts
6709 upvotes
Toronto
The joys of gaming the system to get a cheap carrier phone...
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
6878 posts
2142 upvotes
Mississauga
hvwozq wrote:
Jun 15th, 2017 10:02 am
Well the carrier owns the phone until it's fully paid off, so really, they can blacklist at any time while it's under contract or has a tab (balance).
[OP]
Jun 14, 2010
335 posts
229 upvotes
Toronto
wearysky wrote:
Jun 15th, 2017 9:47 am
wearysky wrote:
Jun 15th, 2017 10:13 am

In the case of a fraudulent purchase, ROBELUS are considering the phone to be stolen FROM THEM. So no, not really an abuse of the system.

But the phone isn't stolen and it isn't a fraudulent signup. I offered to pay for the device and show my ID at a store. I understand if it was fraud but this clearly isn't and they arnt doing anything to work with me. To make matters worse, the fraud department doesn't even take calls. You can only leave a message. Have my fingers crossed they call me back.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2011
1428 posts
226 upvotes
Calgary
EnchantedPlague wrote:
Jun 15th, 2017 12:37 pm
But the phone isn't stolen and it isn't a fraudulent signup. I offered to pay for the device and show my ID at a store. I understand if it was fraud but this clearly isn't and they arnt doing anything to work with me. To make matters worse, the fraud department doesn't even take calls. You can only leave a message. Have my fingers crossed they call me back.
Holy crap. What flagged your account for fraud? This makes no sense at all and seems arbitrary.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16579 posts
6462 upvotes
Oakville
EnchantedPlague wrote:
Jun 15th, 2017 12:37 pm
It isn't, but as far as they know it is, because you didn't send them your ID. They don't allow showing your ID at the store, their policy only allows emailing it (which is stupid, but if that's their policy then you gotta play by their rules). The issue that really screwed it up for you is the dummy that you talked to that said you could just leave it cancelled and they'd send you a bill, who clearly didn't understand how the system works. But from Koodo's fraud department point of view, as far as they're concerned you ARE a fraudulent sign up until you prove otherwise to them. So they're perfectly within their rights to blacklist the phone for now. Hopefully you can get it sorted out, and I would specifically make a complaint regarding the call you made to customer service that was so BLATANTLY wrong. Hopefully you can get some account credits out of it.