• Last Updated:
  • Aug 31st, 2017 3:03 am
Sep 23, 2013
389 posts
336 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
fwiw, freedom customer service isnt exactly a shining light in the darkness either. If Koodo reps are in fact reading this thread, take a look at what's going on here. People are just tired of it all. Tired of the game we gotta play every time new activation plans or retention offers are made known. If you care even a little bit, take this thread and show your team leads. Maybe they can show their bosses and maybe someone up in the chain will decide to think about us for a change, rather than their quarterly figures.
Nov 22, 2011
247 posts
109 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Just got off the phone with Koodo loyalty rep, who seemed to be genuine in trying to help.
He basically told me that this plan was tailored to the initial poster as they (Koodo Mobile) was late in providing the user with a phone, and made up for this with a sweet plan. He could not give me the same deal, but listed some other mentionable offers that are not nearly as good as the one listed here.

That was my experience. Good luck everyone!
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2006
1225 posts
63 upvotes
K-W
I called back on Aug 19 when Freedom had their weekend promo and was only able to get 2GB for $41 in Ontario. Told me they couldn't match Freedom due to differences in network, etc; or match any of the other provincial plans. Well done!
Deal Guru
Sep 28, 2010
10649 posts
2884 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
isgaard wrote:
Aug 28th, 2017 4:57 pm
Looks like the OP (and others) got 3 separate 1GB service added by the agent.

1. Data 1GB for $1.
2. Data 1GB for $0. (maybe this could be added twice depending on their system)
3. Bonus 1GB data.

If you get an agent that knows what they're doing, they can do it for you, if you get a clueless agent, hang up and call again.
Don't have very long left. Freedom's promo ends today. People are going to be on hold for hours and most will get nothing for their time.

Grab some popcorn.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Jan 19, 2017
27 posts
34 upvotes
Edmonton
Is the Freedom network bad in comparison to Koodo? I'm in Edmonton, Alberta, if that matters.

I am thinking of just porting out my 2 Koodo accounts to Freedom if the retention plan isn't available so any help is appreciated.
"Just give me all the bacon and eggs you have. Wait, wait. I'm worried what you just heard was, 'Give me a lot of bacon and eggs.' What I said was, 'Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.' Do you understand?"
Jun 18, 2005
209 posts
442 upvotes
I'd pay for this if I could just click a damn button and move on with my life like any self-respecting man of 2017.

But no, everything has to be awful.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
3359 posts
630 upvotes
Calgary
ZoNeD wrote:
Aug 28th, 2017 4:52 pm
The customer service guy basically laffed my suggestion out of the park, told me no offer available to my area. Told me Freedom Mobile isn't a competitor. Been with koodoo 5+ years and have a good plan, it's still better to make the switch to Freedom mobile.

Anyone have experience with freedom ? aka WIND

Located Edmonton, AB
Edmonton here. The whole city is well covered.
Nov 13, 2013
820 posts
1528 upvotes
Kingston, ON
sorry to be a downer but I must be honest - this post is a total joke and the biggest "Ymmv" i've seen in a long time. Total hit or miss with mostly misses. $49 for 8gb in Ontario is a dream at this point and the OP was very lucky to get it. I agree mobile plans SHOULD be this price but regularly they aren't.
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
12087 posts
2810 upvotes
VANCOUVER
ips1177 wrote:
Aug 28th, 2017 5:51 pm
sorry to be a downer but I must be honest - this post is a total joke and the biggest "Ymmv" i've seen in a long time. Total hit or miss with mostly misses. $49 for 8gb in Ontario is a dream at this point and the OP was very lucky to get it. I agree mobile plans SHOULD be this price but regularly they aren't.
There may be extenuating circumstances specific to the OP's file that the OP himself may not be aware of. That said, a couple of people have reported getting an extra GB for $1. I'll take that...beggars can't be choosers! lol
Apr 10, 2017
392 posts
153 upvotes
Toronto
This one is very high YMMV. What I can see happening is staying on the 50 for 5 gb plan for a while (yes I am one of the few PM people who switched) and then call in to request this plan. Right now the rep said that is not possible as you are a new customer to Koodo
Apr 9, 2008
293 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
Customer since 2011.

On Canada Wide $60/6GB plan since 2012ish. Ontario, Ottawa number.

Called in referring to Freedom Mobile $40/6GB plan. Best I got was no plan change and $10 credit per month, for a year. I still have the 10% BYOD discount from ages ago. Should bring me down to $44/6GB ($60-10%-$10)
Oct 17, 2007
939 posts
67 upvotes
Toronto
xantius wrote:
Aug 28th, 2017 5:06 pm
Just got off the phone with Koodo loyalty rep, who seemed to be genuine in trying to help.
He basically told me that this plan was tailored to the initial poster as they (Koodo Mobile) was late in providing the user with a phone, and made up for this with a sweet plan. He could not give me the same deal, but listed some other mentionable offers that are not nearly as good as the one listed here.

That was my experience. Good luck everyone!
if that's true, that's a little disappointing that the OP didn't mention this in his/her post...as that's another factor which explains why he/she got the plan.....
Dec 20, 2006
146 posts
59 upvotes
I tried calling as a potential new customer not necessarily to get this deal but thought they might be able to offer better than their advertised prices...no go.
I would be bringing 4 new customers by switching our family plan from Rogers which at least had the rep's interest and he in fact took my number so he could go to the highest form of customer support (retentions) I suppose, although I simply asked for any discounts versus the Web or advertised price.
He called back and said unfortunately the prices shown are the best they could offer new customers and the only way to get any better is be with the Koodo for a period of time
It was worth a shot and as others have said we really are getting screwed on our wireless plans when so much of the US is now adopting true unlimited data for half what most of us are paying for a few gig.
I believe without government intervention and or more allowed and easier real competition this will not change in the near future...Until then, it's RFD and begging reps for better plans/ data and better pricing.
[OP]
Apr 22, 2012
12 posts
76 upvotes
Toronto
kit25 wrote:
Aug 28th, 2017 6:07 pm
if that's true, that's a little disappointing that the OP didn't mention this in his/her post...as that's another factor which explains why he/she got the plan.....
This was absolutely not the case with me. Like I mentioned I was offered the plan by customer service. It is very disappointing that although I took time to share will all of you readers and I am being blamed. This is very demotivating.
Sep 14, 2009
31 posts
2 upvotes
Thanks for sharing OP! I am in BC with BC promotion plan $48 for 5gb. Called and they can only offer $5 for 1 additional gig.