• Nov 14th, 2017 1:31 pm
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2010
2057 posts
606 upvotes
Toronto
remik wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 1:07 pm
since iPhone unlocking is a little different, actually done on the server/itunes end and not by code input I read online that apple will actually push an update/patch that will unlock all Canadian registered iPhones via an update, no need to call in. Could be a rumour, but actually makes a lot of sense since iphone requests are always processed by apple directly.
Carrier sources tell MobileSyrup that while an over-the-air update was initially planned for unlocking iPhones, that plan is no longer going forward.

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/news/apple ... nes-dec-1/
Zoomer Wireless, Koodo Wireless & Home phone, Fido Tablet Plan + Knowroaming sticker
Carry Tel 25M Fiber
Mar 5, 2007
832 posts
378 upvotes
hvwozq wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 1:11 pm
:lol:
"Why is your billing address in Alberta?"
"Why do you have an Alberta number?"
Because I haven't updated my address with you, I used to live in Alberta... As for my number? Most of my friends are in Alberta, I want them to have a local call...

And that's assuming they ask ANYTHING, they won't.
May 30, 2010
249 posts
388 upvotes
althetrainer wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 12:41 pm
So this free unlock policy will be applied to all devices including tablets?
um, i though tablets where unlocked. I had more than a dozen tablets through rogers and all the ipads where unlocked.
Jul 30, 2011
22 posts
10 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
6060842 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 1:09 pm
How did you do it? Did you say you were going on vacation?
Nope. Contract was coming to an end, asked about unlocked my iPhone, she said no problem I can do that for free. They Charged me $50, but said she'd give me a $50 credit (which I already got).
Mar 5, 2007
832 posts
378 upvotes
9613019 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 1:12 pm
Carrier sources tell MobileSyrup that while an over-the-air update was initially planned for unlocking iPhones, that plan is no longer going forward.

http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/news/apple ... nes-dec-1/
??? iPhones lock status is stored on Apple's servers. When you insert a different SIM into your iPhone your phone will phone home and as about it's locked status. This is normal procedure.

There is no reason for an OTA update for iPhones, it's pretty trivial for Apple to simply flag every Canadian registered iPhone as "unlocked", and the phone will be unlocked when you put another SIM in.
Mar 5, 2007
832 posts
378 upvotes
Derick wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 1:20 pm
um, i though tablets where unlocked. I had more than a dozen tablets through rogers and all the ipads where unlocked.
My Fido Android LG tablet was locked (got a code, it asked for the code when I put a non Fido SIM in). No idea when it comes to iPads.
May 30, 2010
249 posts
388 upvotes
9613019 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 12:50 pm
I talked to Koodo before. They said they cannot unlock it, whether it is free or not.
I wonder since its required by law one could force them to either unlock it as required by law or buy it back. Its still a cellular device that is paid free and clear, and contract free.
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2010
2057 posts
606 upvotes
Toronto
repatch wrote:
??? iPhones lock status is stored on Apple's servers. When you insert a different SIM into your iPhone your phone will phone home and as about it's locked status. This is normal procedure.

There is no reason for an OTA update for iPhones, it's pretty trivial for Apple to simply flag every Canadian registered iPhone as "unlocked", and the phone will be unlocked when you put another SIM in.
Actually we may request Apple for unlocking after Dec 1.
Zoomer Wireless, Koodo Wireless & Home phone, Fido Tablet Plan + Knowroaming sticker
Carry Tel 25M Fiber
Nov 27, 2016
35 posts
12 upvotes
So presently, if you have an iPhone on Koodo, you have to go to a kiosk or store to get it unlocked? But we may request it from Apple directly after December 1?

Is that correct?
Dec 25, 2009
340 posts
60 upvotes
repatch wrote:

Has this process been implemented yet? or is it just speculation that this will happen?
Deal Guru
Jan 10, 2008
10406 posts
12736 upvotes
Montreal
I just called koodo and they unlocked both an iPhone SE and an LG G5 ( both on tab) for free . Thanks OP

He mentioned that this only works if phones are attached to an existing account
Last edited by stephroll on Nov 10th, 2017 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 5, 2007
832 posts
378 upvotes
wadokai wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 1:39 pm
Has this process been implemented yet? or is it just speculation that this will happen?
No idea. How iPhones get "unlocked" is what I described, what will actually happen after Dec 1st I don't know.

On the surface it would certainly save providers money by simply having Apple unlock all phones, but whether that's what will be done, no clue.
Jan 16, 2004
622 posts
196 upvotes
Toronto
just called and got my SE (used on public mobile) using a family member's koodo prepaid account. no issue at all.