• Last Updated:
  • Nov 14th, 2017 1:31 pm
Sep 21, 2004
8836 posts
2380 upvotes
Calgary
Anyone successfully unlocked Telus iPhone with this new Koodo policy?
Explore. Dream. Discover. - Mark Twain
Mar 15, 2017
185 posts
55 upvotes
when I got an old iPhone unlocked early from Telus, they required an active Telus account, which I do have.
Nov 6, 2011
296 posts
61 upvotes
Calgary
Called in tonight and politely requested to have 2 iPhones unlocked. Rep said, “no problem” and I was done in 2 mins. He mentioned without asking that Koodo will no charge the fee due to the upcoming policy change.

I’ve unlocked at least 10 iPhones from Koodo in the past year and most of them were “Telus” phones. As long as you have used that phone on that line (even for 2 mins), they deem it eligible and are able to unlock it. So make sure that you’ve popped in the SIM at least once before asking for the unlock. This may even apply to other carriers, maybe others can confirm.
May 25, 2009
332 posts
157 upvotes
Langley, BC
wadokai wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 3:12 pm
**UPDATE***

So I'm on QC plan, while being in Alberta, and wanted my iPhone unlocked. I called in and they did it for me without any issue. I was also told that they are no longer charging the fee. So thanks OP =)
Did they ask you for your account and phone number?
Jul 24, 2012
168 posts
46 upvotes
Edmonton
Gr4v1ty wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 11:46 am
I know, just wanted to give a heads up that some might do it before!

Appreciated. I'm leaving on Dec. 12th to the US and if it wasn't for this thread I wouldn't have found out others were unlocking for Telus right now. Now I just need my AT&T nano sim and I'll be good to go. :)
Jul 11, 2008
426 posts
93 upvotes
ps3playa wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 10:52 pm
Called in tonight and politely requested to have 2 iPhones unlocked. Rep said, “no problem” and I was done in 2 mins. He mentioned without asking that Koodo will no charge the fee due to the upcoming policy change.

I’ve unlocked at least 10 iPhones from Koodo in the past year and most of them were “Telus” phones. As long as you have used that phone on that line (even for 2 mins), they deem it eligible and are able to unlock it. So make sure that you’ve popped in the SIM at least once before asking for the unlock. This may even apply to other carriers, maybe others can confirm.
Why does the phone have to be "used" to be eligible for unlocking by Koodo? I bought a LG G5 through koodo to gift my dad about 3 months ago, have not taken it out of the box, once the 90 days is up, was planning on cancelling with Koodo, unlocking and gifting it - would that not work if the phone has not been used?
Oct 6, 2017
17 posts
10 upvotes
This is a call in, ask and report back situation.

Also, I would consider un boxing to check and tell the person you wanted to do all the system updates before you gave it as a gift.
Feb 3, 2015
133 posts
62 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
9613019 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 11:53 am
If you have an old locked phone and you are no longer with the original provider, you may not get it unlocked. I chatted with CRTC this morning and I was told that the phone has to be active in the carrier's network to get it unlocked for free. I am not sure whether you have to have active wireless service with the exact carrier or with its related brands (such as Telus/Koodo/PM).
I was with Public when I unlocked my S8 discounted phone through WOW with them 3 months ago.
Koodo customer service is a top notch.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
3172 posts
439 upvotes
GTEH!
Thanks OP. Tried unlocking an iPhone SE a few weeks ago and Koodo Rep said they couldn't, yet. It was not close enough to the Dec.1 date.
Will now try to unlock phone.

*UPDATE* Successful. unlocked iPhone SE with Koodo.
As other people mentioned, I tried unlocking an older HTC phone from Telus, before I moved to Koodo, and after 10 minutes the Koodo Rep unlocked it for me. Smiling Face With Open MouthSmiling Face With Open Mouth Will be using this older HTC phone for travelling.

Thanks again Gr4V1ty
Last edited by Webhead on Nov 11th, 2017 9:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
😎
Oct 7, 2016
24 posts
13 upvotes
densil_lopez wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 12:59 pm
I have a telus locked iPhone 7..
I was with telus and now with public mobile..

I had a friend who is with Koodo.. can he call to unlock mine..????
Yes you can. I am with Koodo, unlocked my GF's iPhone, and that was way before the internal memo in the summer (I even asked them to do it for free). All your friend has to do is put his sim card in your phone and call Koodo.
Last edited by blasianEng on Nov 11th, 2017 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 19, 2015
324 posts
148 upvotes
Just called Telus and asked if there's a fee to unlock. CSR said no, and unlocked it right away :)
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3444 posts
406 upvotes
saberon2016 wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 11:03 am
Just called Telus and asked if there's a fee to unlock. CSR said no, and unlocked it right away :)
Telus or Koodo ?
Nov 28, 2013
682 posts
228 upvotes
Quebec
shushwap wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 11:39 am
Telus or Koodo ?
His post clearly says telus
[OP]
Sep 11, 2008
213 posts
103 upvotes
Quebec
b166er1337 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 10:13 pm
Anyone successfully unlocked Telus iPhone with this new Koodo policy?
I'll try and keep you updated! Mine is a Telus phone.