Expired Hot Deals

[Koodo] Google Pixel 2 XL, $0 on tab M, $120 up front on tab S, $360 device cost. New and existing

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 23rd, 2019 2:04 pm
[OP]
Aug 23, 2015
703 posts
625 upvotes
250strong wrote:
Apr 6th, 2019 12:33 pm
Just a quick question:

Do I start getting charged my monthly plan on the day of delivery? Or the day that I activate the sim?

What if I don’t activate the sim?
The SIM should come preactivated. If you plan on cancelling you need to call in or port that Koodo number to another carrier like Bell which will auto cancel (no need to call). As for getting charged your monthly plan what does it say in self serve? Think actual service starts as your order ships out. But not sure.
Public Mobile $23 plan, $10 credits ongoing
Koodo $29 plan with Google Pixel 2 XL, $50 credits ongoing
EBox $42, group buy $2 off
Thanks to RFD
Nov 4, 2010
180 posts
318 upvotes
I went to Walmart, TMS, and Koodo kiosk. All told me that I needed to wait 3 months to pay off the tab, otherwise it would be the full price ($900). I want to keep my existing plan with another carrier, just need a new phone. Are they just feeding me a line to keep their commission or something, or do we actually need to wait 3 months?
Nov 23, 2018
49 posts
45 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Abaddon wrote:
Apr 6th, 2019 5:49 pm
I went to Walmart, TMS, and Koodo kiosk. All told me that I needed to wait 3 months to pay off the tab, otherwise it would be the full price ($900). I want to keep my existing plan with another carrier, just need a new phone. Are they just feeding me a line to keep their commission or something, or do we actually need to wait 3 months?
They are obviously lying. I don't know about the commission after 3 months but I've read it several times indeed.
Nov 4, 2010
180 posts
318 upvotes
jadzzz wrote:
Apr 6th, 2019 6:01 pm
They are obviously lying. I don't know about the commission after 3 months but I've read it several times indeed.
I had a feeling, thanks for confirming. Looks like I'll be ordering online.
Oct 14, 2004
683 posts
113 upvotes
Victoria
Abaddon wrote:
Apr 6th, 2019 6:10 pm
Actually... I think the comment is valid. You cannot "pay off" the tab in the first three months, keeping the line/account. What you can do is cancel the account/line, which triggers the payment of the full tab.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16337 posts
6295 upvotes
Oakville
Timbo420 wrote:
Apr 5th, 2019 6:33 pm
The deal expired on the 2nd and this thread should be marked expired. The worst part of RFD are these deals remaining open days and weeks past expiry. Feels like I'm the only one that reports expired deals.
Nope, deal's still valid. As mentioned several times in the thread, there was a glitch causing it to show up at $390 on medium tab, but if you added it to your cart it showed the correct amount of $0 due today.
Abaddon wrote:
Apr 6th, 2019 6:10 pm
Ordering online saves you $35 any way. Only reason to buy in person is if you get a bonus gift card. Technically speaking, you're not supposed to be able to pay off your tab before 90 days. But that's why you just close the account entirely :)
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
3685 posts
1707 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
htauthority wrote:
Apr 5th, 2019 12:28 pm

Some are concerned automatic updates could cease on the 2 XL come this Oct,
It's minimum October 2020. MINIMUM!

The OG pixel got a free year last month, so maybe we'll get it too and go to 2021
Mar 18, 2011
693 posts
277 upvotes
Pickering
Anybody do buy and cancel for in-store purchase and have problems the next time they went to purchase in-store?
Apr 4, 2019
6 posts
Want to cancel and change it to freedom mobile. Anybody know if this phone will run on freedom?
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16337 posts
6295 upvotes
Oakville
Richard1986 wrote:
Apr 6th, 2019 8:14 pm
Anybody do buy and cancel for in-store purchase and have problems the next time they went to purchase in-store?
People have been blocked from buying Koodo phones. There's a whole thread about it. But most, if not all, people that are blocked are blocked because they're purchasing several phones over a short period of time. Koodo is highly unlikely to care if you're doing one or two a year - their system officially allows for up to 4 per year per line (since you can pay off your tab every 90 days, as a customer), but realistically speaking they're just trying to stop people from buying and cancelling over and over and over again and turning their generous tab system into a phone reselling business.
rav444 wrote:
Apr 7th, 2019 1:34 am
Want to cancel and change it to freedom mobile. Anybody know if this phone will run on freedom?
It should run fine on Freedom's network, yes.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Mar 18, 2011
693 posts
277 upvotes
Pickering
wearysky wrote:
Apr 7th, 2019 9:59 am
People have been blocked from buying Koodo phones. There's a whole thread about it. But most, if not all, people that are blocked are blocked because they're purchasing several phones over a short period of time. Koodo is highly unlikely to care if you're doing one or two a year - their system officially allows for up to 4 per year per line (since you can pay off your tab every 90 days, as a customer), but realistically speaking they're just trying to stop people from buying and cancelling over and over and over again and turning their generous tab system into a phone reselling business.

Yeah, that's more or less what I'm inquiring out. My question is more so for somebody that's only purchased it maybe once or twice in a years time by newly activating/cancelling, and if they had issues purchasing again in-store for another new activation? (They didn't stay with the company)
Sep 10, 2009
58 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks OP, I just ordered one. Upgrading from a Samsung S7 and this will be my first Google phone since the Nexus 5 (also had a Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4 and Nexus One)

Has anyone received a shipping notice yet? Just wondering if the 1-2 weeks is accurate.
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
13111 posts
1457 upvotes
Mississauga
Abaddon wrote:
Apr 6th, 2019 5:49 pm
Was any one of them offering any sign- up incentives? $100 GC or points?
Nov 23, 2012
425 posts
118 upvotes
Toronto
Ordered on Apr 2nd afternoon, just got shipping notice.