Expired Hot Deals

[Koodo] Google Pixel 2 XL, $0 on tab M, $120 up front on tab S, $360 device cost. New and existing

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 23rd, 2019 2:04 pm
[OP]
Aug 23, 2015
702 posts
621 upvotes
REDDEE74 wrote:
Apr 8th, 2019 10:24 am
So you need a koodo prepaid sim or can it be any sim. Thanks again
When you order the phone Koodo includes and ships with the phone a preactivated SIM. You port out the number from that SIM if you want to cancel. Or you can have them call you back via the digital assistant to cancel.
Public Mobile $23 plan, $10 credits ongoing
Koodo $29 plan with Google Pixel 2 XL, $50 credits ongoing
EBox $42, group buy $2 off
Thanks to RFD
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16117 posts
6174 upvotes
Oakville
Richard1986 wrote:
Apr 7th, 2019 11:54 am
Yeah, that's more or less what I'm inquiring out. My question is more so for somebody that's only purchased it maybe once or twice in a years time by newly activating/cancelling, and if they had issues purchasing again in-store for another new activation? (They didn't stay with the company)
I've only ever heard of one supposed case - there was one dude complaining in one of these recent Koodo deal threads that he did a buy-and-cancel one time, back in 2017, and as a result was unable to get the latest deal. I *highly* doubt that the reason he wasn't able to get the deal was because of that single churn a year and a half ago, though.
Timbo420 wrote:
Apr 7th, 2019 5:10 pm
Edit: dang. I guess the system was wonky for me because I am on $40 5GB plan and won't let me keep it.
Koodo just updated the minimum plan amount for medium tab to $50 a few weeks ago - seems like all the previous plans that had exceptions (PM migration plans in particular) are no longer medium tab eligible.
REDDEE74 wrote:
Apr 8th, 2019 10:24 am
So you need a koodo prepaid sim or can it be any sim. Thanks again
You would port out to any other provider. Doesn't even need to be a mobile provider. You can port your number to NumberBarn.com, for example. If you don't understand the porting process at all, though, you're better off to just call and cancel (because if you screw up the port, it could end up taking days to fix, and then you're paying for all those days' worth of service).
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Nov 13, 2017
210 posts
117 upvotes
stillmatic11 wrote:
Apr 8th, 2019 8:41 am
I got the shipping notice yesterday as well, but the tracking # is not showing up on Canada Post.
so the status of "You order is currently being verified" won't change until it gets shipped ? Thx
Feb 7, 2008
760 posts
250 upvotes
Okanagan
I'd like to know the same. Does your credit take a hit?
I'll be in process of applying/renewing my mortgage so I guess its kind of important to me :)
chadw01 wrote:
Apr 8th, 2019 8:45 am
Just to confirm, as above, the $50 plan has to be added to get this promo and try it for 1-2 days (in case there are issues with the phone) before canceling?

Does your credit take a hard hit?
Oct 23, 2015
83 posts
2 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
wearysky wrote:
Apr 8th, 2019 11:15 am
I've only ever heard of one supposed case - there was one dude complaining in one of these recent Koodo deal threads that he did a buy-and-cancel one time, back in 2017, and as a result was unable to get the latest deal. I *highly* doubt that the reason he wasn't able to get the deal was because of that single churn a year and a half ago, though.

Koodo just updated the minimum plan amount for medium tab to $50 a few weeks ago - seems like all the previous plans that had exceptions (PM migration plans in particular) are no longer medium tab eligible.

You would port out to any other provider. Doesn't even need to be a mobile provider. You can port your number to NumberBarn.com, for example. If you don't understand the porting process at all, though, you're better off to just call and cancel (because if you screw up the port, it could end up taking days to fix, and then you're paying for all those days' worth of service).

Thanks now the question is buy the 2 or wait a bit for the 3
Feb 10, 2003
895 posts
337 upvotes
Calgary
chadw01 wrote:
Apr 8th, 2019 8:45 am
Does your credit take a hard hit?
verby wrote:
Apr 8th, 2019 1:48 pm
I'll be in process of applying/renewing my mortgage so I guess its kind of important to me :)
If you're a new subscriber, then yes your credit will take a hard hit. Not sure what happens if you're a current Koodo subscriber.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16117 posts
6174 upvotes
Oakville
verby wrote:
Apr 8th, 2019 1:48 pm
Strider wrote:
Apr 8th, 2019 2:32 pm
If you're a new subscriber, then yes your credit will take a hard hit. Not sure what happens if you're a current Koodo subscriber.
There's no hard check if you're an existing customer. If you're a new customer, it's a single new hard check showing up on your report - the same if you sign up for *any* new postpaid service, incidentally. The effect on your score should be pretty tiny, and banks don't just look at the raw number when they're determining your creditworthiness.
Deal Addict
May 7, 2007
1733 posts
725 upvotes
Fredericton
REDDEE74 wrote:
Apr 8th, 2019 2:03 pm
Thanks now the question is buy the 2 or wait a bit for the 3
I wouldn't expect the 3 XL to be at this price point any sooner than Black Friday.
Oct 23, 2015
83 posts
2 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Strider wrote:
Apr 8th, 2019 2:32 pm
So is porting better to help not have a credit hard hit
Jul 15, 2003
602 posts
108 upvotes
Is the Walmart GC still going on?

Also, this phone or a chinaphone that is similarly spec'ed like the Pocophone F1?
Feb 10, 2003
895 posts
337 upvotes
Calgary
REDDEE74 wrote:
Apr 8th, 2019 2:41 pm
Unless I misinterpreted the question, it wouldn't make a difference. You'd still be a new customer to Koodo and they would need to establish your credit-worthiness.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16117 posts
6174 upvotes
Oakville
djray wrote:
Apr 8th, 2019 2:49 pm
Is the Walmart GC still going on?

Also, this phone or a chinaphone that is similarly spec'ed like the Pocophone F1?
Walmart GC is usually only on the weekend, so it's probably dead by now (best way to find out is to call your local WM directly).

This phone over a ChinaPhone with similar specs, hands down. Stock Android direct from Google > ChinaPhone ROM any day of the week.
REDDEE74 wrote:
Apr 8th, 2019 2:41 pm
Unrelated. Porting is for when you want to cancel your service, not when you're signing up to get the phone.
Jul 15, 2003
602 posts
108 upvotes
wearysky wrote:
Apr 8th, 2019 2:56 pm
Walmart GC is usually only on the weekend, so it's probably dead by now (best way to find out is to call your local WM directly).

This phone over a ChinaPhone with similar specs, hands down. Stock Android direct from Google > ChinaPhone ROM any day of the week.
MIUI isn't a problem for me because I would flash it with LineageOS or something like that anyway.
Oct 23, 2015
83 posts
2 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
wearysky wrote:
Apr 8th, 2019 2:56 pm

Unrelated. Porting is for when you want to cancel your service, not when you're signing up to get the phone.
I was hoping to buy a phone and use it on different carrier sorry I should have been more clear
Last edited by REDDEE74 on Apr 9th, 2019 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 10, 2009
54 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
Just noticed that the page no longer says ships in 1-2 weeks. Hopefully that means I get mine this week.