Expired Hot Deals

[Koodo] Google Pixel 2 XL, $0 on tab M, $120 up front on tab S, $360 device cost. New and existing

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 23rd, 2019 2:04 pm
Feb 28, 2008
844 posts
339 upvotes
Canada
wearysky wrote:
Apr 10th, 2019 11:06 am
Out of curiosity, why do you use night sight during the day? The extra time it takes to take a shot is prohibitive enough for me to only use it sparingly at night as it is, I can't imagine using it during the day (especially with fast moving subjects like my kids or the new puppy). Unless you're primarily shooting relatively still subjects (landscapes, adults that know how to stand still :))
You should try Night Sight pictures of your kids during the day. It won't blur your kids. I'm too tired atm to write a long explanation, but I checked some pictures beside the window today and the exposure time of the first frame was about 1/640s. Your kids won't be blurred until it's longer than about 1/100-1/200s.

PS: again, if you never or rarely look at your pictures at 100% then the HDR+ mode is more than good enough most of the time.
Dec 14, 2012
243 posts
172 upvotes
Ottawa
Hi guys. Did anyone tried to negotiate a better plan than the listed ones? I have no problem to switch to Koodo from Rogers. But I need a plan from Koodo comparible to my existing one which is 4G unlimited call for $40. I am going to try to negotiate when I call to cancel. Just like to know if anyone has done this before. Thanks!
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2006
2720 posts
217 upvotes
htauthority wrote:
Apr 10th, 2019 5:07 pm
Got the following case and pretty nice. Not too bulky but solid protection. If you tend to carry your phone and put it in and out of your pockets constantly then might not be the right case as the rubber ridges can wear down (from some reviews on Amazon). Perfect case otherwise and pretty popular. Seller accepted $12.50 best offer. If anyone is interested.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/223440667584?ul

amazon:

https://www.amazon.ca/Speck-Products-Pr ... B01LYQZIXO

Now the question is finding the right screen protector. The glass ones aside from the $60 one can be really hit and miss due to the curved screen. Ordered two to try out but not too confident. It's a known issue with the 2 XL. Insight appreciated.
I'm a fan of this seller/manufacturer's "AirGlass" glass screen protectors after buying one for my previous phone. They're really thin glass so they have the hardness for protection while maintaining good touch response. They are deliberately smaller than full screens that have curved edges.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Google-Pixel-2- ... SwYgxa4GUd

Short video -
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16689 posts
6539 upvotes
Oakville
htauthority wrote:
Apr 10th, 2019 5:07 pm
Now the question is finding the right screen protector. The glass ones aside from the $60 one can be really hit and miss due to the curved screen. Ordered two to try out but not too confident. It's a known issue with the 2 XL. Insight appreciated.
The key is to get a "case friendly" screen protector. They generally don't cover the full front of the phone, leaving a gap for the sides of your case. All the curved full-coverage screen protectors I've gotten for the p2xl only had adhesive around the edges, so if the case pressed up directly against the edge of the protector, any time it flexed it would cause the protector to pop up.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Deal Addict
May 7, 2007
1910 posts
1186 upvotes
Fredericton
Also, wtf Koodo. Base Tab Medium plan is now $55.
Koodo - $39/10GB
Koodo - $70 Huawei P20
May 15, 2012
121 posts
53 upvotes
Surrey
smuPoker wrote: Also, wtf Koodo. Base Tab Medium plan is now $55.
Wtf indeed. I guess they’ll just keep pushing until there is push back.
[OP]
Aug 23, 2015
759 posts
671 upvotes
wearysky wrote:
Apr 11th, 2019 8:55 am
The key is to get a "case friendly" screen protector. They generally don't cover the full front of the phone, leaving a gap for the sides of your case. All the curved full-coverage screen protectors I've gotten for the p2xl only had adhesive around the edges, so if the case pressed up directly against the edge of the protector, any time it flexed it would cause the protector to pop up.
Do you recommend a particular one? My case should work. Past phones no issues with a tempered glass. Reading reviews and XDA, for this phone it's a common problem. Case or not, they just do not stick properly given the curve of the screen. The whitedome one is suppose to be the best but it's $60. Ah well, worst case is that will need to get a film protector instead. If you have recommendations since you have some experience shoot away. Would love to eliminate some trial and error thanks to someone that knows. Just going off the many reviews. Thanks for your help and taking time to post.
Public Mobile $23 plan, $10 credits ongoing
Koodo $29 plan with Google Pixel 2 XL, $50 credits ongoing
EBox $42, group buy $2 off
Thanks to RFD
Sep 21, 2016
68 posts
18 upvotes
I asked the people at the little Google section of my local Best Buy and they told me to give ClearPlex a try. It sticks to the curved sides, and only really looks a bit weird when reflecting sunlight. It's $30, though, not the cheapest solution out there, though it makes up for it by offering free replacements for the life of the phone.
Sep 5, 2011
616 posts
133 upvotes
Charlottetown
htauthority wrote:
Apr 11th, 2019 1:07 pm
Do you recommend a particular one? My case should work. Past phones no issues with a tempered glass. Reading reviews and XDA, for this phone it's a common problem. Case or not, they just do not stick properly given the curve of the screen. The whitedome one is suppose to be the best but it's $60. Ah well, worst case is that will need to get a film protector instead. If you have recommendations since you have some experience shoot away. Would love to eliminate some trial and error thanks to someone that knows. Just going off the many reviews. Thanks for your help and taking time to post.
My experience having another phone with gorilla glass 5, I went a little over a year without a screen protector and did not have an issue with scratches. I had one minor surface scratch from an accidental drop from ~4 feet and it really wasn't all that bad. YMMV of course how you treat your phone/whats in your pockets and if you're considering reselling down the road.
[OP]
Aug 23, 2015
759 posts
671 upvotes
yangj08 wrote:
Apr 11th, 2019 1:12 pm
I asked the people at the little Google section of my local Best Buy and they told me to give ClearPlex a try. It sticks to the curved sides, and only really looks a bit weird when reflecting sunlight. It's $30, though, not the cheapest solution out there, though it makes up for it by offering free replacements for the life of the phone.
Thank you, will look at the reviews. Most of the tempered glass ones do have some adhesive on the sides for this particular phone. Either the adhesive does not last or since there is nothing on the entire flat surface of the screen it is prone to getting air bubbles. If it looks weird in sunlight or at any point it defeats the purpose also. Do want something to protect the screen, there just so many downsides to the glass protectors for this phone.

Thanks Koodo, for raising the price of plans yet again, those wanting this or another phone see post #4. If Koodo can't work with us, there are other options, simple as that.
Thanks to RFD
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2006
2720 posts
217 upvotes
htauthority wrote:
yangj08 wrote:
Apr 11th, 2019 1:12 pm
Now that you mention curved screens, I think the AirGlass tempered glass that I mentioned above would be PERFECT for a slightly curved screen too (if in fact the Pixel 2 XL screen has some curvature - unconfirmed?) as the previous one I bought actually arrived in its envelope a bit curved (lacking a stiff, flat support) and I was worried about that before I realized how flexible the AirGlass is. No issues with that one at all on my Blackberry Key2 LE. I would expect no issues with it on a slightly curved screen either.
Deal Addict
May 7, 2007
1910 posts
1186 upvotes
Fredericton
htauthority wrote:
Apr 11th, 2019 1:21 pm

Thanks Koodo, for raising the price of plans yet again, those wanting this or another phone see post #4. If Koodo can't work with us, there are other options, simple as that.
I just re-upped my Tab Medium plan to the $50 4GB/500min plan that was active til today, and then they jump the base plan again. That's a $10 jump in the base plan within the month. I'm pretty loyal to Koodo (long story), but I can get better plans elsewhere now. I may be looking to switch once my Tab is paid off.
Koodo - $39/10GB
Koodo - $70 Huawei P20
[OP]
Aug 23, 2015
759 posts
671 upvotes
smuPoker wrote:
Apr 11th, 2019 1:50 pm
I just re-upped my Tab Medium plan to the $50 4GB/500min plan that was active til today, and then they jump the base plan again. That's a $10 jump in the base plan within the month. I'm pretty loyal to Koodo (long story), but I can get better plans elsewhere now. I may be looking to switch once my Tab is paid off.
Noticed small tab is now $45! Up from $35, that's crazy. Unlimited minutes and texting, no data :) Must be April fools. Loyal as well and fortunate that am able to keep my current plan. If there is no incentive for customers to stay, especially knowledgeable RFDers that know about Public Mobile, Chatr, Freedom, etc. Not sure how they expect to retain customers if doing this.

OP updated.
Thanks to RFD
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2007
1146 posts
186 upvotes
I'm using a Ringke Slim Case on this phone right now. The grip is much improved without adding any bulk. The bumpers in the corners are also raised just enough so you can put the phone screen side down if you want. I don't expect much protection against drops, but that's expected from a slim case. Only issue I have is I don't like the feel around where the buttons are and wish there was a bumper all around and that the buttons were just covered instead as well. It might just take some time getting used to it though.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16689 posts
6539 upvotes
Oakville
htauthority wrote:
I ended up giving up, and going without a screen protector. Over a year in and only one scratch, but I hardly ever notice it except when the screen is off. I was tired of the frustration of not being able to find one I liked - since they all only seemed to have adhesive around the edges of the protector (vs previous flat screen protectors I've used that had adhesive for the whole back of the protector), none of them ever really stuck well.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient