Expired Hot Deals

[Koodo] Google Pixel 2 XL, $0 on tab M, $120 up front on tab S, $360 device cost. New and existing

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 23rd, 2019 2:04 pm
Feb 15, 2019
5 posts
1 upvote
Sorry not related to the topic, does anyone know if there is any deal for this long weekend? Thanks.
May 2, 2017
262 posts
407 upvotes
will888 wrote:
Apr 14th, 2019 1:12 pm
You must be joking using the word ethical when discussing Canadian carriers. I don't think anything customers can do to them can trump what they do to us. How one decides to cancel is merely a personal preference, nothing more. No need for deep analysis.
Just because they are an established company, one can then do these things? Im not trying to analyse it too deeply, but really it is the act of doing it, to big companies or not. As per preferences, nah. You were supposed to buy the phone for a much greater amount, but soneone found this loophole, thereby feeling a bit unethical.
May 16, 2017
227 posts
77 upvotes
Seanne wrote:
Apr 14th, 2019 9:43 am
Because one would feel more ethical, and it would port out automatically, and canceling the account automatically, no CSRs needed.
hahahaha so true, dam rfders
May 28, 2007
623 posts
32 upvotes
GTA
audit13 wrote:
Apr 13th, 2019 10:36 am
People are activating a prepaid Bell account with $0 down and porting out from Koodo to Bell to cancel the account without calling in to cancel.
Can you explain a bit more? Sim cost $, how to get $0 work out without loosing the number from koodo? what about after? e.g. how long I can hold my number with Bell and how much I have to pay minimum to keep my number activate?
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
18701 posts
6722 upvotes
Toronto
Seanne wrote:
Apr 14th, 2019 2:38 pm
Just because they are an established company, one can then do these things? Im not trying to analyse it too deeply, but really it is the act of doing it, to big companies or not. As per preferences, nah. You were supposed to buy the phone for a much greater amount, but soneone found this loophole, thereby feeling a bit unethical.
I just don't see how it makes sense for people to come up with more ethical ways of phone churning. You either do it or you don't. Those who do are all equally ethical.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB, $28 RBC 5GB promo
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
8207 posts
3337 upvotes
Markham
Seanne wrote:
Wow, talk about Stockholm's Syndrome here.

If we really want to get into ethics, let's talk about the ethics of charging criminally high rates compared to the rest of the world first.
[OP]
Aug 23, 2015
704 posts
626 upvotes
Canada is such an immense country with a smaller population. Makes sense why carrier prices would be higher. Network and infrastructure costs money. That's the business standpoint.

However if all the big 3 third tier carriers and Freedom can offer reasonable plan prices, you can definitely call it price gauging by the big 3 first and second tier carriers.

Agree with the above. Although I do not endorse the continuous buy and cancel approach Koodo's price increases are criminal. They are not providing customers a chance to stay. It's unethical for a carrier to overcharge its customers just as it could be deemed unethical to churn phones. No doubt some overdid it, now less deals and higher plan prices. Will be interesting to see what happens next. Good luck keeping customers happy as is.

Buy and cancel while you still can, there is not one plan that Koodo offers right now that is competitive.

Good info and conversation. Thanks ladies and gentlemen.
Public Mobile $23 plan, $10 credits ongoing
Koodo $29 plan with Google Pixel 2 XL, $50 credits ongoing
EBox $42, group buy $2 off
Thanks to RFD
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
8207 posts
3337 upvotes
Markham
htauthority wrote:
Apr 14th, 2019 11:07 pm
Canada is such an immense country with a smaller population.
This excuse has been beaten to death. If you plainly take land mass and population then yes, but the reality is the distribution and network buildout is very concentrated in the urban areas.
[OP]
Aug 23, 2015
704 posts
626 upvotes
ToniCipriani wrote:
Apr 14th, 2019 11:26 pm
This excuse has been beaten to death. If you plainly take land mass and population then yes, but the reality is the distribution and network buildout is very concentrated in the urban areas.
Not trying to make excuses. Those that live out in the boonies need service too. We have a whole lot more people spread out than other countries.

Things are not that bad. This phone for example, $360CAN. US had the lowest price of $349US on the Verizon variant of this phone. It's cheaper here than over there. Koodo's plan prices do suck, no one would disagree, thank goodness there are other options.

If anyone is interested can add a couple of treats to the thread summary for those that like to root their phones.
Public Mobile $23 plan, $10 credits ongoing
Koodo $29 plan with Google Pixel 2 XL, $50 credits ongoing
EBox $42, group buy $2 off
Thanks to RFD
Deal Addict
May 11, 2009
4510 posts
1394 upvotes
Debtario
Seanne wrote:
I don't understand your reasoning, there is nothing unethical going on here, and exercising your right to cancel is not a "loophole". Telus/Koodo are not in the business to lose money, this isn't some obscure system error that people are exploiting. It's a previous gen phone from 2017 that has been discontinued, they've even lowered the tab eligibility to help clear it out.

If you feel it's unethical to pay less than the price the company wants you to pay, RFD isn't for you.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2012
1165 posts
516 upvotes
Guelph
I bought this thinking it was an upgrade from my G7 One I got at black Friday... I was mistaken. Aside from oled which caused me issues on my s8+ and a better camera, it's basically the exact same phone just wider and more difficult to use with one hand. Sticking with my g7 one and taking this back unfortunately. Beautiful hardware but just not worth the change for my situation.

I bought it blind (I usually research this stuff to death) assuming a pixel device would be leaps and bounds better than a budget variant of an LG flagship.
Deal Addict
May 19, 2005
3494 posts
493 upvotes
Markham
LawEightSix wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 4:45 am
I bought this thinking it was an upgrade from my G7 One I got at black Friday... I was mistaken. Aside from oled which caused me issues on my s8+ and a better camera, it's basically the exact same phone just wider and more difficult to use with one hand. Sticking with my g7 one and taking this back unfortunately. Beautiful hardware but just not worth the change for my situation.

I bought it blind (I usually research this stuff to death) assuming a pixel device would be leaps and bounds better than a budget variant of an LG flagship.
LG 7 One has the exact same CPU, so I’m not sure why you’d expect the Pixel 2 XL to be “leaps and bounds better”. Except for the more frequent and guaranteed updates and camera, there isn’t a whole lot that better in the 2 XL. You lose micro sd slot and headphone jack with Quad DAC. I missed the LG 7 One deals a few months back but I’d probably get that if they were the same price.
Some people just don't get that online forum posts shouldn't always be taken seriously.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
18701 posts
6722 upvotes
Toronto
htauthority wrote:
Apr 14th, 2019 11:39 pm
Not trying to make excuses. Those that live out in the boonies need service too. We have a whole lot more people spread out than other countries.

Things are not that bad. This phone for example, $360CAN. US had the lowest price of $349US on the Verizon variant of this phone. It's cheaper here than over there. Koodo's plan prices do suck, no one would disagree, thank goodness there are other options.

If anyone is interested can add a couple of treats to the thread summary for those that like to root their phones.
Wait a minute, this phone is not $360 if you go the "ethical route". You need to get a plan that is at least small tab eligible which means $45 for talk and text. Add in the cost of being on this plan for 24 months into the arithmetic. The 90 day thing does not apply to an ethical example. The 90 day churn is the minimum duration in order for retail partners to get their commission. The true work down curve for a tab last 24 months.
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
18701 posts
6722 upvotes
Toronto
htauthority wrote:
Apr 14th, 2019 11:39 pm

So you want others to add to your up vote harvest?
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Apr 25, 2009
91 posts
180 upvotes
Maple
xman111 wrote:
Apr 14th, 2019 12:10 am
thanks guys, just paid off my Galaxy s9. Got the 2xl on tab medium, for $0. Was able to keep my wife's 4gb/$55 a month plan. Don't even need a phone but for $15 a month or $360 it is worth it for a backup!
Congrats on new phone :-)
Have you had a chance to compare the 2 XL with your S9 ?? Any feedback would be appreciated...