Expired Hot Deals

[Koodo] Google Pixel 2 XL, $0 on tab M, $120 up front on tab S, $360 device cost. New and existing

  • Last Updated:
  • Apr 19th, 2019 2:55 am
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 31, 2012
1118 posts
468 upvotes
Guelph
Jonavin wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 7:58 am
LG 7 One has the exact same CPU, so I’m not sure why you’d expect the Pixel 2 XL to be “leaps and bounds better”. Except for the more frequent and guaranteed updates and camera, there isn’t a whole lot that better in the 2 XL. You lose micro sd slot and headphone jack with Quad DAC. I missed the LG 7 One deals a few months back but I’d probably get that if they were the same price.
Sorry I explained why. I went in blind. It's a google flagship so I assumed. That's why I am returning. Amazing hardware though. If I didn't have the g7 one I'd for sure keep it.
Jr. Member
Mar 9, 2015
160 posts
73 upvotes
Calgary, AB
htauthority wrote:
Apr 14th, 2019 11:07 pm
Canada is such an immense country with a smaller population. Makes sense why carrier prices would be higher. Network and infrastructure costs money. That's the business standpoint.
Who said that? Make sense to who exactly?

Look Down Under (Australia), I lived there for 7 years, on the West side (not that it matters for pricing but it's one of the most isolated city in the world) and the price was way lower than here in Canada... Just as an example, in 2012 I was paying $11 per month for unlimited texts, unlimited incoming calls, ~450 minutes of outgoing calls and 1.5G of data. Before someone ask, the $ was pretty much on par between here and there.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Aug 23, 2015
644 posts
585 upvotes
will888 wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 8:05 am

Wait a minute, this phone is not $360 if you go the "ethical route". You need to get a plan that is at least small tab eligible which means $45 for talk and text. Add in the cost of being on this plan for 24 months into the arithmetic. The 90 day thing does not apply to an ethical example. The 90 day churn is the minimum duration in order for retail partners to get their commission. The true work down curve for a tab last 24 months.
will888 wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 8:09 am
So you want others to add to your up vote harvest?
See post #4 for other options. You don't need to do that if you speak with loyalty. There is no winning formula when discussing ethics, there never is.

Thread is for RFD members to get in on a decent deal, RFD can take away all the upvotes for all I care. Stay on topic please without the nonsense. Thank you. Have a screen calibration setting and a Viper4Android speaker profile if anyone wants it. Is that bad?
Public Mobile $23 plan, $10 credits ongoing
Koodo $29 plan with Google Pixel 2 XL, $50 credits ongoing
EBox $42, group buy $2 off
Thanks to RFD
Deal Addict
User avatar
Sep 24, 2007
1666 posts
344 upvotes
Countries like canada with low population and vast geography can't develop economies of scale unless a proven export market exists for a high volume product. High infrastructure costs and poor gov't fiscal budget, means high cost of living = no fun. I was paying like $100 yuan for almost unlimited data in china that was prepaid and lasted a few months, here in canada for $20 bucks I probably get 200 MB. Why? lack of economies of scale to drive down costs and a banckrupt gov't that can't subsidize this industry that can promote wider mobile ecommerce and technology growth. 5G rollout will be useless here compared to other countries, only the super rich can afford to use all the complimentary services it entails which may not come to fruition.

I digress, when will they bring back the Mate 20 pro or a sale on Note 9?
[OP]
Sr. Member
Aug 23, 2015
644 posts
585 upvotes
lekidyyc wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 9:16 am
Who said that? Make sense to who exactly?

Look Down Under (Australia), I lived there for 7 years, on the West side (not that it matters for pricing but it's one of the most isolated city in the world) and the price was way lower than here in Canada... Just as an example, in 2012 I was paying $11 per month for unlimited texts, unlimited incoming calls, ~450 minutes of outgoing calls and 1.5G of data. Before someone ask, the $ was pretty much on par between here and there.
Ok maybe it makes no sense. Australia is like 1/3 the size of Canada. Canada, second largest country in the World. See your point, we all want cheaper prices. Just trying to see things from a business standpoint as well. Our taxes per capita, our energy prices are so high compared to other countries. The cost of doing business aside from just land mass has not been discussed. We have a huge power plant in Niagara falls (near here) that sells to the US for a fraction of the cost that we pay. Yet the plant is in Canada. Shouldn't it cost them more and be cheaper for us?

Lots could be discussed and factored in as to why we pay more for cell service (among most things). Cheaper is better, unlike what Koodo has been doing lately. No use justifying why we pay more, just trying to see both sides of the coin. But everyone is together at the end of the day. We want more for less as Canadians and grow tired of getting gauged. Pretty much everyone can agree on that. Maybe some or all of what I just posted makes no sense either :)
Public Mobile $23 plan, $10 credits ongoing
Koodo $29 plan with Google Pixel 2 XL, $50 credits ongoing
EBox $42, group buy $2 off
Thanks to RFD
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2011
1510 posts
521 upvotes
Mississauga
htauthority wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 10:47 am
Ok maybe it makes no sense. Australia is like 1/3 the size of Canada. Canada, second largest country in the World. See your point, we all want cheaper prices. Just trying to see things from a business standpoint as well.
Actually, no. This is the lie that carriers are trying to sell you and you're falling for it. Canada's area is 9,984,670 km2 and Australia is 7,692,024 km2 according to Wikipedia. The reason Australia looks smaller to you is because of the Mercator projection: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercator_projection Also see https://thetruesize.com/

More relevant to this discussion is that Australia has a population density of 3.3/km2 and Canada has 3.9/km2. So they are even less densely populated than we are. Carriers do not have any excuses. The only reason they are able to get away with these prices is because of their monopoly.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Aug 23, 2015
644 posts
585 upvotes
hackoder wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 10:55 am
Actually, no. This is the lie that carriers are trying to sell you and you're falling for it. Canada's area is 9,984,670 km2 and Australia is 7,692,024 km2 according to Wikipedia. The reason Australia looks smaller to you is because of the Mercator projection: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercator_projection Also see https://thetruesize.com/

More relevant to this discussion is that Australia has a population density of 3.3/km2 and Canada has 3.9/km2. So they are even less densely populated than we are. Carriers do not have any excuses. The only reason they are able to get away with these prices is because of their monopoly.
Interesting. What does Australia pay in taxes and energy costs? My sis lives there, could ask. Probably won't bother. The hydro plant (as one example) makes the cost of doing business a huge disadvantage here in Canada. Taxes another. Again, not trying to defend the carriers. The cost of doing business is higher. Minimum wage, huge factor in small business. For a large company this has to be factored into the expense column as well. Why are we paying more. Expenses are more. Then you have red tape and efficiency. Some countries are more efficient than others.
Public Mobile $23 plan, $10 credits ongoing
Koodo $29 plan with Google Pixel 2 XL, $50 credits ongoing
EBox $42, group buy $2 off
Thanks to RFD
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 7, 2007
1719 posts
675 upvotes
Fredericton
This thread has gone off the rails.
[OP]
Sr. Member
Aug 23, 2015
644 posts
585 upvotes
Yeah. Maybe business should not be discussed on a consumer forum. Still find it interesting. It does apply since Koodo keeps jacking up their rates. Who wants to buy a phone and pay $55 for a plan that is not competitive. Probably not many, no matter what the reasons are.

Sorry for going somewhat OT.
Public Mobile $23 plan, $10 credits ongoing
Koodo $29 plan with Google Pixel 2 XL, $50 credits ongoing
EBox $42, group buy $2 off
Thanks to RFD
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2013
15876 posts
6023 upvotes
Oakville
astrotrain wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 9:39 am
Countries like canada with low population and vast geography can't develop economies of scale unless a proven export market exists for a high volume product.
The "population density" argument can only go so far. It can (partially) explain why the *cheapest* prices in Canada are more expensive than the rest of the world, but the fact remains that the big three are still gouging Canadians in all the provinces where there isn't a regional carrier. Rogers can offer an Ultra tab plan for $100 a month to get 15GB of data in Saskatchewan, but to get *14*GB on an Ultra tab plan in Ontario costs $170 a month? Despite Ontario having 7 times the population density of Saskatchewan? No, the only reason it's so much more expensive in Ontario is because we don't have a SaskTel keeping pricing pressure on the big 3's oligopoly.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 7, 2007
1719 posts
675 upvotes
Fredericton
htauthority wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 11:39 am
Yeah. Maybe business should not be discussed on a consumer forum. Still find it interesting. It does apply since Koodo keeps jacking up their rates. Who wants to buy a phone and pay $55 for a plan that is not competitive. Probably not many, no matter what the reasons are.

Sorry for going somewhat OT.
I am really happy that I switched to the 4GB $50 plan while it was available last month, but that plan is irrelevant now if I ever decide to upgrade and stay with Koodo on Tab Medium. Oh well. We'll see what plans they come up with over the next few months.
Sr. Member
Aug 16, 2017
881 posts
196 upvotes
Toronto
i want to upgrade to a new phone,

should i jump on this or get the google pixel 3 xl on tab medium instead?

the pixel 3 XL on tab medium is 350$ + 15$ for 24 months + 150$ in activation credits.

I am already with koodo.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Aug 6, 2001
12926 posts
1329 upvotes
Mississauga
DimsumDeals wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 12:36 pm
i want to upgrade to a new phone,

should i jump on this or get the google pixel 3 xl on tab medium instead?

the pixel 3 XL on tab medium is 350$ + 15$ for 24 months + 150$ in activation credits.

I am already with koodo.
Essentially, is Pixel 3 XL worth the extra $210? plus taxes
Sr. Member
Aug 16, 2017
881 posts
196 upvotes
Toronto
weedb0y wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 12:39 pm
Essentially, is Pixel 3 XL worth the extra $210? plus taxes
in your opinion, is it?

and that's extra 350$ not 210$ i think, the activation discount is irrelevant.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Aug 6, 2001
12926 posts
1329 upvotes
Mississauga
DimsumDeals wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 12:45 pm
in your opinion, is it?

and that's extra 350$ not 210$ i think, the activation discount is irrelevant.
Personally, no. Other than just modern screen design. Go with Pixel 2XL and spend the extra $360 ($406.80 incl taxes) on something better.

Top