Expired Hot Deals

[Koodo] Google Pixel 2 XL, $0 on tab M, $120 up front on tab S, $360 device cost. New and existing

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 23rd, 2019 2:04 pm
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2017
1099 posts
329 upvotes
Toronto
weedb0y wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 12:51 pm
Personally, no. Other than just modern screen design. Go with Pixel 2XL and spend the extra $360 ($406.80 incl taxes) on something better.
gotcha! just placed my order, thanks for your inputs.
Jan 18, 2017
229 posts
196 upvotes
Just received my pixel 2 XL in the mail!

do I need to set it up with the koodo sim card first?

I will probably do that and then activate my bell sim and then port over.
[OP]
Aug 23, 2015
704 posts
626 upvotes
250strong wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 2:20 pm
Just received my pixel 2 XL in the mail!

do I need to set it up with the koodo sim card first?

I will probably do that and then activate my bell sim and then port over.
No SIM card needed to set it up. Before setting it up, feel free to upgrade to Android Pie first. You will need to charge your phone enough to do this.
Public Mobile $23 plan, $10 credits ongoing
Koodo $29 plan with Google Pixel 2 XL, $50 credits ongoing
EBox $42, group buy $2 off
Thanks to RFD
Jan 18, 2017
229 posts
196 upvotes
htauthority wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 2:33 pm
No SIM card needed to set it up. Before setting it up, feel free to upgrade to Android Pie first. You will need to charge your phone enough to do this.
Sorry can you guide me how? Apple user here.
[OP]
Aug 23, 2015
704 posts
626 upvotes
250strong wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 2:40 pm
Been 2 weeks since I've done this. Go into phone settings>system>advanced or about phone then there will be an option for system update. It's automated pretty much, if phone is not charged enough it will not let you upgrade. You can also stay on Android 8.1. It's not something you need to do. But if you want to be on the latest software up to you.

Instructions: https://support.google.com/android/answer/7680439

Edited to add instructions and will add to OP. To my knowledge all the 2 XLs ship with Android 8.1.
Last edited by htauthority on Apr 15th, 2019 4:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Thanks to RFD
May 16, 2010
137 posts
63 upvotes
Vancouver
haven't got it yet but will do when i get it.
Nov 13, 2017
266 posts
148 upvotes
British Columbia
250strong wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 2:40 pm
htauthority wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 3:16 pm
Been 2 weeks since I've done this. Go into phone settings>system then there will be an option for system update. It's automated pretty much, if phone is not charged enough it will not let you upgrade. You can also stay on Android 8.1. It's not something you need to do. But if you want to be on the latest software up to you.
I got mine last week and first thing to do was to update to Pie. One of the reasons for me to purchase this phone is to get the timely software updates.
Loving the new gesture navigation
Sep 10, 2009
60 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto
I got my phone today- pretty sweet so far!
Is the package supposed to include details about the Koodo contract? I didn't get an account number or phone number so I'm guessing I'll have to put the SIM card in to find out what the number is before I can port it. Also, is there any reason to set up a self serve account? I'm assuming they will just send a paper bill eventually after I port out the number.

Thanks
Deal Addict
Aug 25, 2015
1486 posts
460 upvotes
Montreal, QC
beermike wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 3:38 pm
Is the package supposed to include details about the Koodo contract? I didn't get an account number or phone number so I'm guessing I'll have to put the SIM card in to find out what the number is before I can port it. Also, is there any reason to set up a self serve account? I'm assuming they will just send a paper bill eventually after I port out the number.

Thanks
the self serve account is exactly for getting the final bill as they'll take a long time to send a paper bill
[OP]
Aug 23, 2015
704 posts
626 upvotes
beermike wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 3:38 pm

Thanks
Did you receive an email when you purchased the phone? In the one emails the contract will be in one of the attachments. I have a self serve account with my email on file. I would imagine you signed up with an email address even if you did not register for self serve. The email should say in the subject "Thank you for renewing with Koodo". If you did neither (self serve or provide email) then I would imagine you would get something in the mail. Can't recall if an email address is required or not.
Thanks to RFD
Sep 10, 2009
60 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto
I received exactly two emails from them:
Day 0- Order Confirmation. Order# - xxxx
Day 5- Order Shipment Confirmation. Order# - xxxx

Neither has an attachment but they both reference an order number which doesn't seem like it's the same as an account number.
I didn't renew. It was a completely new account.
[OP]
Aug 23, 2015
704 posts
626 upvotes
beermike wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 4:09 pm

Neither has an attachment but they both reference an order number which doesn't seem like it's the same as an account number.
Sorry, my confusion. Since you are cancelling and know to port out, that's the easiest way. No need to call. After you port they will mail you your final bill. No need to create a self serve account just for that. You can but there is no need.
Thanks to RFD
Jan 18, 2017
229 posts
196 upvotes
beermike wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 4:09 pm

I had the same exact thing. Didn’t get any email or mail about my account number or phone number.

The sim it came with was not working so I had to call in customer support. They got the sim working now and gave me my account number and phone number.

I’m sure I needed a phone number in order to port out to bell.

Will I still have access to online account once you port out??? To get the final bill quicker?
Sep 10, 2009
60 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto
250strong wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 5:03 pm
I had the same exact thing. Didn’t get any email or mail about my account number or phone number.

The sim it came with was not working so I had to call in customer support. They got the sim working now and gave me my account number and phone number.

I’m sure I needed a phone number in order to port out to bell.

Will I still have access to online account once you port out??? To get the final bill quicker?
Yeah I just put in the SIM card as well and it says that it's not provisioned. I guess I'll have to call them.
Nov 4, 2010
180 posts
318 upvotes
beermike wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 5:05 pm
Yeah I just put in the SIM card as well and it says that it's not provisioned. I guess I'll have to call them.
I'm in the same boat. Only emails were order confirmation and shipping. I put in the SIM and it didn't work. I called the number on the SIM and after 30 mins of explaining and waiting, I was told the webstore didn't complete my order properly and they couldn't activate my account. They also told me I can't cancel until I activate first. Been on hold for the webstore now for another 30 mins and still waiting. Good luck to you.