Expired Hot Deals

[Koodo] Google Pixel 2 XL, $0 on tab M, $120 up front on tab S, $360 device cost. New and existing

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 23rd, 2019 2:04 pm
[OP]
Aug 23, 2015
704 posts
626 upvotes
Ok so no one has mentioned any of this being a new customer (I'm existing). So SIM for new customers does not come preactivated it seems.

Rather than calling in and beating around the bush it might be worth opening a self serve account. Activate your SIM online, port out, done. Maybe some earlier members that got in can post what's the best procedure to cancel. Had no idea SIMs were not activated with online orders,
Public Mobile $23 plan, $10 credits ongoing
Koodo $29 plan with Google Pixel 2 XL, $50 credits ongoing
EBox $42, group buy $2 off
Thanks to RFD
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
15306 posts
2211 upvotes
Toronto
There is no way to create a self serve account without an active sim and account number. The new customer will have to call in to Koodo to have the sim activated and get the account number.
Feb 21, 2014
17 posts
1 upvote
I'm currently on a pay as you go with 7-11 speak out. I want to keep my same number and everything there, just using this deal to upgrade phones. I'm a little confused on the actual process involved here. I gather I have to activate with Koodo first can i just cancel at that time or do I have to actually port that number over to a different provider?

Talked with a local Walmart rep and waaay missed the boat on the gift card. She did mention that you had to keep the plan for 3 months before cancelling... is this true? I'll be buying direct through Koodo to skip the activation charge anyways... I'd just like to confirm I can cancel right away.
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
13313 posts
1635 upvotes
Mississauga
lowenheim wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 6:57 pm
I'm currently on a pay as you go with 7-11 speak out. I want to keep my same number and everything there, just using this deal to upgrade phones. I'm a little confused on the actual process involved here. I gather I have to activate with Koodo first can i just cancel at that time or do I have to actually port that number over to a different provider?

Talked with a local Walmart rep and waaay missed the boat on the gift card. She did mention that you had to keep the plan for 3 months before cancelling... is this true? I'll be buying direct through Koodo to skip the activation charge anyways... I'd just like to confirm I can cancel right away.
Why would you tell the rep that you want to cancel right away?

Was there a GC?
Nov 4, 2010
180 posts
318 upvotes
lowenheim wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 6:57 pm

You don't have to wait 3 months. Every in-store rep told me that too. I ordered online and just got off the phone with the webstore customer service who cancelled the account immediately after activating it. She told me at the end of the next billing cycle I'll get my bill for $360+tax to pay out the remainder of the to tab.

You also don't need port your number back and forth. When you order, just set it to be a new number and they will assign you a new phone number with the new account.
Feb 21, 2014
17 posts
1 upvote
Just starting my research into cell phones... seems like the used prices on Craigslist (vancouver) start at about $400. Are people actually selling them for that price? Just trying to calculate my downside risk if I don't like it. Think it's reasonable to assume I could sell it for $400 in 6 months if kept in good shape and with 6 month warranty left?

Only gift card offered was for $250 if you bought the phone with a telus contract.... which was like a $900 buy out.
Jun 19, 2017
30 posts
4 upvotes
Kind of want to pull the trigger on the deal but I'm inclined to wait for the pixel 3 XL with wireless charging and a slightly better screen. Hopefully koodo has a sale on those in the near future
Jan 18, 2017
229 posts
196 upvotes
geedome wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 9:13 pm
Kind of want to pull the trigger on the deal but I'm inclined to wait for the pixel 3 XL with wireless charging and a slightly better screen. Hopefully koodo has a sale on those in the near future
A deal similar to this will probably be months after the release of the pixel 4 :)
Apr 5, 2019
2 posts
1 upvote
I got my phone today- pretty sweet so far!
Is the package supposed to include details about the Koodo contract? I didn't get an account number or phone number so I'm guessing I'll have to put the SIM card in to find out what the number is before I can port it. Also, is there any reason to set up a self serve account? I'm assuming they will just send a paper bill eventually after I port out the number.

Thanks Electric Light Bulb
Jun 19, 2017
30 posts
4 upvotes
You might be right. How long do you think after ordering will it take to receive the phone?
Dec 4, 2010
316 posts
54 upvotes
Montreal
S8 is the same price as 2XL. Which one is better?
Jun 30, 2016
103 posts
150 upvotes
amirghanbariir wrote:
Apr 16th, 2019 3:39 am
I got my phone today- pretty sweet so far!
Is the package supposed to include details about the Koodo contract? I didn't get an account number or phone number so I'm guessing I'll have to put the SIM card in to find out what the number is before I can port it. Also, is there any reason to set up a self serve account? I'm assuming they will just send a paper bill eventually after I port out the number.

Thanks Electric Light Bulb
They will/should have already emailed you your contract containing your phone number. If you're porting out, no reason to setup self-serve. Also, calling in to cancel doesn't take very long at all and you don't have to make up an elaborate story, just tell them you wanted the phone. They don't care. I've done it many times.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16592 posts
6465 upvotes
Oakville
htauthority wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 4:18 pm
Sorry, my confusion. Since you are cancelling and know to port out, that's the easiest way. No need to call. After you port they will mail you your final bill. No need to create a self serve account just for that. You can but there is no need.
There is a very good chance they will not mail you a final bill. They'll say they will, but then they won't, and they'll send you to collections. This has happened to many people. That's why I always recommend still creating a self serve account.
DizzyYak wrote:
Apr 16th, 2019 8:47 am
They will/should have already emailed you your contract containing your phone number. If you're porting out, no reason to setup self-serve. Also, calling in to cancel doesn't take very long at all and you don't have to make up an elaborate story, just tell them you wanted the phone. They don't care. I've done it many times.
They seem to be slow slow in emailing out the contracts right now. I'm guessing they're swamped with RFDers ordering this phone :P
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
[OP]
Aug 23, 2015
704 posts
626 upvotes
Good info, thank you. Or be sure to call in, seems members have to anyways since the SIM does not come provisioned with a new account, which seems silly to me. Just in case they take their time or do not send a bill, members should know what to do to get it cancelled either way.
Public Mobile $23 plan, $10 credits ongoing
Koodo $29 plan with Google Pixel 2 XL, $50 credits ongoing
EBox $42, group buy $2 off
Thanks to RFD
Jan 18, 2017
229 posts
196 upvotes
I just ported out to my Bell prepaid SIM card this morning. It was quite easy. Done in less than 5 mins.

I had to call in yesterday when I received my phone to activate my SIM card and get my account number and phone number. Phone number required to port, account number required to set up Koodo self serve. You can still access it for 90 days after cancellation to see my final bill after I ported out. Did not want to risk it going to collections.

I guess I could’ve tried to cancel at the same time as activation but it felt a little weird to do that. The rep kept saying I had to wait 90 days. And I did want to learn and try the porting out method since I already ordered the bell sim.

Updated the software to the latest update. Wifey is super happy with this phone compared to her garbage Samsung s5 haha

Thank you OP and others for your continued guidance and reviews.

RFD has saved me hundreds If not thousands on new current phones (Fido winback iPhone X for $0 and this Koodo pixel 2 xl for $360)
Last edited by 250strong on Apr 16th, 2019 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.