Hot Deals

[Koodo] Google Pixel XL $0 Tab Medium [Online only]

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2018 9:55 pm
Aug 13, 2006
578 posts
251 upvotes
Ottawa
Could someone clarify what lifetime means in this context? As long as you have Pixel XL or you had it once and that's enough for lifetime of photo storage?
If it's the first case I don't think this lifetime promise worth anything because I don't see myself still using Pixel XL let's say in 10 years.
Sep 26, 2014
25 posts
3 upvotes
North York, ON
Any picture taken with the pixel or pixel xl is eligible for free unlimited original quality Google photos backup for life.

For pixel 2's and 3's I believe it's for four years since activation. Not completely sure though.
Apr 9, 2017
66 posts
67 upvotes
Cold.
Pixel 1 design was so backwards even for the year when it came out.
Deal Guru
Oct 17, 2001
11827 posts
41 upvotes
Still takes pretty good photos. Especially if you sideload the apk for the Pixel 3 camera app that has Night Sight.
My moto z2 force takes worse pics sadly even with the Pixel camera app. For selfie under and overexposed photos, it still kicks my S9+'s pic quality.
From a "Family" reviewer: "We Cheer teaches coordination, enticement to lust, women being used as sex objects, and team work."

From Worthy Playing: "We Cheer is, then, for all intents and purposes, the F-Zero GX of music games. It asks for so much, yet forgives so little. It is actually so casual that it's hardcore."
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2006
1913 posts
269 upvotes
Calgary
eugene_2005 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2018 12:23 am
Could someone clarify what lifetime means in this context? As long as you have Pixel XL or you had it once and that's enough for lifetime of photo storage?
If it's the first case I don't think this lifetime promise worth anything because I don't see myself still using Pixel XL let's say in 10 years.
Pixel xl only.
Aug 27, 2016
45 posts
16 upvotes
This phone should be given away just for signing up with koodo.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2011
3350 posts
1418 upvotes
Westmount (Montreal)
sfu_lifer wrote:
Nov 9th, 2018 3:39 am
Still takes pretty good photos. Especially if you sideload the apk for the Pixel 3 camera app that has Night Sight.
My moto z2 force takes worse pics sadly even with the Pixel camera app. For selfie under and overexposed photos, it still kicks my S9+'s pic quality.
Any phone with a good Gcam app will take fabulous pictures.

I have it on my 200$ Xiaomi phone and can't see the difference between the pixel 2.
Aug 23, 2005
347 posts
121 upvotes
Hamilton
sosyed wrote:
Nov 9th, 2018 12:53 am
Any picture taken with the pixel or pixel xl is eligible for free unlimited original quality Google photos backup for life.
It's actually any picture or video uploaded from a Pixel or Pixel XL device. Doesn't necessarily need to be taken from the phone. You can transfer media captured from another device or website and if it's uploaded from the Pixel at original quality, it will show that it counts as zero space towards your Google Photos limit.
Sep 26, 2014
25 posts
3 upvotes
North York, ON
A-Town wrote:
Nov 9th, 2018 7:22 am
It's actually any picture or video uploaded from a Pixel or Pixel XL device. Doesn't necessarily need to be taken from the phone. You can transfer media captured from another device or website and if it's uploaded from the Pixel at original quality, it will show that it counts as zero space towards your Google Photos limit.
Did they change the system? As I recall photos does an exif check to look for pixel metadata. There were even exploits that allowed other phones to overwrite the metadata and take advantage of the unlimited upload.
Jan 2, 2008
209 posts
33 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Still rocking my Pixel XL, got it when it came out, still love it. That being said with the Pixel 3 on the market? Yeah I'm torn.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2016
1894 posts
743 upvotes
Pixel XL is ugly. It copied the bad things from iPhone 7 Plus but didn't retain the good things. Regardless, I still like my Pixel XL. I will sell used for $200 if anyone wants.
Battery life is still good, and it comes with all the accessories. I bought it from Google's store directly for over $1,000 in 2016. Regret lol.
Oct 5, 2008
321 posts
158 upvotes
I'm seeing $150 bill credit and $0 on Medium tab.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
3499 posts
984 upvotes
CollegeGraduate wrote:
Nov 9th, 2018 4:49 pm
Pixel XL is ugly. It copied the bad things from iPhone 7 Plus but didn't retain the good things. Regardless, I still like my Pixel XL. I will sell used for $200 if anyone wants.
Battery life is still good, and it comes with all the accessories. I bought it from Google's store directly for over $1,000 in 2016. Regret lol.
They copied and manufactured it in ~1 month?
Aug 23, 2005
347 posts
121 upvotes
Hamilton
sosyed wrote:
Nov 9th, 2018 3:08 pm
Did they change the system? As I recall photos does an exif check to look for pixel metadata. There were even exploits that allowed other phones to overwrite the metadata and take advantage of the unlimited upload.
It's based on identifying the upload device as a Pixel. The exploit was for other rooted Android phones to fool Google Photos into thinking that the pictures/videos were uploaded from a Pixel. It has since been patched. The unlimited original quality upload from a Pixel device still exists:

Unlimited original quality storage - all photos and videos uploaded from the Pixel phone are stored for free at original quality, whether it was taken by the camera, captured in a screenshot, or downloaded from another app. The storage used by these photos and videos will continue to be free even if you stop using the Pixel phone. Any photos and videos that are uploaded from other devices will count against the storage quota of the account if done at original quality and will be free at High Quality (which compresses photos).
https://productforums.google.com/forum/ ... Tld8KIwBlE
Deal Guru
Feb 13, 2012
11386 posts
2348 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Fatty55 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2018 5:03 pm
I'm seeing $150 bill credit and $0 on Medium tab.
I still wouldn't buy it for $210. I would use the bill credit for Essential, P20 instead.