• Last Updated:
  • Oct 21st, 2017 12:02 am
Dec 23, 2006
643 posts
87 upvotes
Montreal
Jaegerjaque wrote:
Jun 27th, 2017 10:14 am
Just spoke with a Koodo rep so its $5 for the first 12 months then $25 thereafter but no contract it can be cancelled anytime so still a good deal you can always shop around end of term or something else might come up towards the end of the year.
Just went to a Koodo kiosk and purchased the unit in Montreal, QC. Here are the deets:

Cost me $57.49 tax in, up front, no contract ($40 for device, $10 SIM, plus local taxes, etc.)
Will show up as $20.46 cents monthly and then a $15 discount ($0.46 is for e911). He was aware and informed me that was 12 mos. only and then the credit expires and it defaults to $20/month automatically.

The device is locked and costs $50 to unlock or free as of Dec 2017. I own the device since bought outright and can be used with Fido, Rogers and Virgin. I figure in 11 months and need to look around and see who has the best deal in order to maintain the service...
Sep 13, 2006
2081 posts
845 upvotes
Muskoka
Nice. What was the make/model of the modem?
Dec 16, 2012
72 posts
10 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
rfd8888 wrote:
Jun 26th, 2017 2:09 pm
Does this work for home security alarm monitoring?
Would like to know the answer to this as well. My parents are on a $50 home phone plan with Rogers while using Grand Alarms...
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2007
2817 posts
661 upvotes
QC
portraitofruin wrote:
Jun 27th, 2017 3:40 pm
Would like to know the answer to this as well. My parents are on a $50 home phone plan with Rogers while using Grand Alarms...
It doesn't work with alarm system
Mar 9, 2012
754 posts
231 upvotes
KITCHENER
You'd wonder if they'd have a retention plan at some point after that.
Mar 14, 2010
193 posts
64 upvotes
Toronto
spotts01 wrote:
Jun 27th, 2017 2:58 pm
Nice. What was the make/model of the modem?
There is no modem. It run on a cellular network not the internet. It is not a VOIP system.
Feb 18, 2014
194 posts
116 upvotes
Ohlias wrote:
Jun 27th, 2017 2:10 pm
The device is locked and costs $50 to unlock or free as of Dec 2017. I own the device since bought outright and can be used with Fido, Rogers and Virgin. I figure in 11 months and need to look around and see who has the best deal in order to maintain the service...
Maybe I'm just cynical from dealing with Rogers, Bell etc all these years but the CRTC wireless code page only mentions removing the unlocking fee for cellphones... I wouldn't put it past them to claim that 'home phone' devices like these do not qualify in order to keep charging the unlock fee past Dec 1st. I do hope you are right though.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
2081 posts
845 upvotes
Muskoka
pickles02 wrote:
Jun 27th, 2017 5:58 pm
There is no modem. It run on a cellular network not the internet. It is not a VOIP system.
Ok. I meant was is the make model of the unit they give you
Jul 2, 2016
120 posts
73 upvotes
Has anyone tried to see if Fido will match this deal for home phone in Ontario?
Jul 16, 2008
81 posts
5 upvotes
ON
I know it's not the same but how does Koodo home phone compare with Teksavvy VOIP?

Both equipment cost $50. Koodo is cheaper monthly for the first year. Teksavvy monthly is $9.95.

Anyone?
Banned
Mar 14, 2004
66 posts
6 upvotes
london
j3390659 wrote:
Jun 27th, 2017 11:27 pm
I know it's not the same but how does Koodo home phone compare with Teksavvy VOIP?

Both equipment cost $50. Koodo is cheaper monthly for the first year. Teksavvy monthly is $9.95.

Anyone?
Do you think about the italkbb?

Canada Unlimited Plan

$4.50/month(first 6 months)
$8.99/month
Unlimited long distance calls within Canada
Free 60 minutes/month international long distance callingSmiling Face With Open Mouth
Dec 12, 2014
6 posts
Westmount, QC
j3390659 wrote:
Jun 27th, 2017 11:27 pm

Anyone?
How is Teksavvy VOIP btw? for 9.95$ what do they mean by long distance call? Toronto to Montreal is long distance? Inside province calls are long distance?
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
2555 posts
674 upvotes
Halifax
I had last years promo, and it was due to expire in August. So I called Koodo, to see if I could get a 1 year extension. No can do. So I asked them if they could add another Koodo phone home package to my account. That turned out to be a bad idea.

Ultimately, they were not able to do it, and ended up really messing up the account. It took them 3 hours to get back to where I started. I was entertained at the very least.

Turns out to get this to work, you need to set up another Koodo account using another email address. I am not sure if I can port from Koodo to Koodo, but I have a disposable Virgin prepaid SIM card and phone I can port to, and then port over to the new Koodo account if need be. I think I am stuck with an extra home phone box, even though the SIM cards are interchangeable. I have 15 days to find out if I can return the box, without losing the service.
Jun 21, 2010
74 posts
26 upvotes
Toronto
shorfd wrote:
Jun 27th, 2017 6:17 pm
Maybe I'm just cynical from dealing with Rogers, Bell etc all these years but the CRTC wireless code page only mentions removing the unlocking fee for cellphones... I wouldn't put it past them to claim that 'home phone' devices like these do not qualify in order to keep charging the unlock fee past Dec 1st. I do hope you are right though.
I unlocked mine $1.99 on ebay works on koodo & fido now
Nov 15, 2003
490 posts
8 upvotes
apologies if it's been answered already - mobile and out of the country! trying to figure out if this is good alternative for my parents (on bell w/ phone/internet but the bundle price is ridiculous)

- can you port number from Bell over with this deal - cost associated with it?
- have a vtech set but i think Bell modified the phone lines- would this still work? (seems like it's voip only ports now.. i could be wrong... whatever they needed to do to get Fibe working

Thank you!!
"Damn you! You're one of them aren't you! What are they paying you? I'll double it! I'll give you whatever you want! Money, women...men?"