Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Koodo

Koodo Prepaid $15 Base Plan now includes 250MB data

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 26th, 2019 4:01 pm
Feb 5, 2012
81 posts
282 upvotes
VICTORIA

[Koodo] Koodo Prepaid $15 Base Plan now includes 250MB data

Looks like the $15 base plan on Koodo Prepaid now includes 250MB of data. Used to include no data, everything else is the same as the old plan from what I can tell. So make sure to switch over to this if you are using the $15 plan currently!

Note that it says 'Any base plan changes will occur immediately', so it would probably be wise to strategically make the change on the last day of your billing cycle.
119 replies
Apr 9, 2017
176 posts
197 upvotes
ON
Does the 250 MB Data carry over like it does with the booster?
Feb 5, 2012
81 posts
282 upvotes
VICTORIA
Boboabc wrote: Does the 250 MB Data carry over like it does with the booster?
Nope.

'Included data does not roll over at the end of 30 days.'
May 9, 2012
867 posts
238 upvotes
Montreal
Wouldn’t Public Mobile be better... free incoming and 2$ off per month with autopay?
Deal Addict
May 1, 2011
1928 posts
2774 upvotes
Halifax
barginfreak wrote: Wouldn’t Public Mobile be better... free incoming and 2$ off per month with autopay?
and 100 min talk. Unless I am missing it, the Koodo $15 plan doesn't have any minutes. You have to buy a booster of 100min for $10 which to compare to Public Mobile plan at $15 per month (minus 2$ and 250MB with autopay), would be more like $25 per month for unlimited text, 100 min talk, and 250MB data.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22706 posts
3696 upvotes
tdracer wrote: and 100 min talk. Unless I am missing it, the Koodo $15 plan doesn't have any minutes. You have to buy a booster of 100min for $10 which to compare to Public Mobile plan at $15 per month (minus 2$ and 250MB with autopay), would be more like $25 per month for unlimited text, 100 min talk, and 250MB data.
Boosters carry over each month. It's a one time purchase.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
29332 posts
10712 upvotes
Hamilton
barginfreak wrote: Wouldn’t Public Mobile be better... free incoming and 2$ off per month with autopay?
+1
hated on but respected.
Deal Addict
May 1, 2011
1928 posts
2774 upvotes
Halifax
Kasakato wrote: Boosters carry over each month. It's a one time purchase.
for 100 min. i was comparing price and in order to have the equal amount of minutes from Koodo you would be paying $25 per month vs the other 3. If you like you can compare minutes. With Public Mobile you get 1200 minutes per year, with Koodo you get 100 in a year and it's still more on a monthly basis. No matter how you look at it, the Public Mobile, Chatr and Lucky are all cheaper.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2013
1332 posts
663 upvotes
Chambly, QC
My wife has this. Great.
No mention of what happen after the limit is reached.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22706 posts
3696 upvotes
tdracer wrote: for 100 min. i was comparing price and in order to have the equal amount of minutes from Koodo you would be paying $25 per month vs the other 3. If you like you can compare minutes. With Public Mobile you get 1200 minutes per year, with Koodo you get 100 in a year and it's still more on a monthly basis. No matter how you look at it, the Public Mobile, Chatr and Lucky are all cheaper.
If you buy on the Koodo sales the difference is fairly small. $30 will net 1200 mins on bonus and you can earn 10% back on the monthly plan to pay for the minutes.
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
1310 posts
417 upvotes
Ottawa
Isn't Public Mobile's data for that price 3G only?
(not saying that 3g data is bad, just something to consider)

It doesn't look like there's any such restriction for Koodo's plan.
Also Koodo gives $1.50 in credit with "auto-topup".

My question is if you switch, do you have to pay another $15 right away?
So, like OP said, it would be best to wait until the last day or for your plan to run out first (and remember to remove auto-topup).
Last edited by nguyentri on May 24th, 2019 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 5, 2012
81 posts
282 upvotes
VICTORIA
Koodo is LTE speed, Public is 3G speed.

EDIT: jinx above
Jan 15, 2016
879 posts
940 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Great experience with koodo here! Iv been with them for 3 years now, not a heavy user so it works and i can take the savings. A booster of minutes lasts me 6 months and since we go to the states often it is convenient that i can just get booster mins and texts and leave them in the account for them to rollover. I look at it as almost just ~20 per month for me in terms of net usage. Thanks OP!
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
28752 posts
1370 upvotes
PunkeyDoodles Corner…
nguyentri wrote: Isn't Public Mobile's data for that price 3G only?...
When we're talking 250mb, it's almost BETTER to have a slower internet connection. Mitigate the 'inadvertent' downloading of massive data before you realize what's going on & blow through it in 10s.
RobertRabbit wrote: No mention of what happen after the limit is reached.
lol. Well., Koodo has shock-free data? Or is that not a standard for all plans & this would incur overages?

In this day and age, as someone who went through the $20 multi pack that Rogers introduced in 2006'ish? 2009'ish? that had like 10 or 20mb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can tell you, that you CAN use a cellphone and ONLY burn that much data. However, to the layman - it is gonna be a huge learning curve.

You have to really discipline yourself in not browsing instagram, you'll have to disable insta vid play, downgrade ALL playback settings for youtube/iG/snap is out the window haha. It's really 250mbs or emergency use, emails (disable auto attachment download).

Even emails, which used to be text only & thus, for BB, you can blow through thousands of emails & still not even HIT any data thresholds, but for smartphones, email is now data rich. Graphics intensive. I just don't understand how they are peddling 250mb. Maybe it is obviously in hopes that you'll blow through it every month & incur overages.

Unless you get shockfree data, which isn't unheard of. I mean Kudos to Koodo for introducing that. Mind Blown!

Cheers.

Oh..side point.

I remember back in 2002'ish, I just got the new multipack (unlim sms/mms/20mb or 100mb whatever it was) & had gone bonkers sending picture messages. The next month I got a $130 overage bill for data. I was like WTF is that. As my heart sank, as a struggling poor lemming, shocked to consider how the heck I could scrape together that much. After looking at my bill I realized what had happened. Their system hadn't coded the MMS I sent as MMS, but rather as DATA. LOL. A quick phone call with the agent & she recognized the glitch & reversed the charges. That was heart attack in the making.

Happy Friday Mofos!

Be safe out there!
PayTM$154, dead. SDM: $5342 Rakuten: $181.98
100% Established: BST; Heat; FB market; Kijiji *BST: FS Mens Shoes & Boots: Viberg, Allend Edmonds, Red Wings, misc,*
*Various Szs Vintage: Florsheim Imperial
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2006
4264 posts
5638 upvotes
Muskoka
Kasakato wrote: If you buy on the Koodo sales the difference is fairly small. $30 will net 1200 mins on bonus and you can earn 10% back on the monthly plan to pay for the minutes.
Any talk boosters you buy would make it more expensive than PM, no matter what the sale. In addition the booster minutes are for incoming and outgoing. PM has unlimited incoming. If boosters last you along time, then 100 outgoing minutes per month at no extra cost would also probably work.

The 10% ($1.50) cash back for Koodo autopay cannot be applied to base plan, only boosters. The PM autopay credit gets applied directly to the PM plan thereby making it $13

BUT - Koodo data is full LTE vs LTE Lite - not a big deal both for performance and we are only talking 250mg here.
AND - this is a big one - with Koodo you can call in for help or walk into a store and get issues resolved.
Public Mobile
Nov 20, 2006
353 posts
382 upvotes
Thanks, OP. My data was running low (<50 mb) and I kept checking to see if they will offer the bonus data add-on before buying. I just changed to the new plan. It charged me $15 right away even though my current plan does not expire until June 9. I’ll call them after work to get the credit back.

I’m still with Koodo because I have a landline with my Bell 3 services package and therefore don’t need much voice minutes. I already bought bonus voice add-ons over a year ago, back when they can be used for US or international calls.
Jul 7, 2003
710 posts
413 upvotes
Thanks OP. I see the new base plan when I logged into my account. Will wait closer to the next billing cycle before switching.

I haven't looked at the other carriers to see how it compares to Koodo now but I like this plan for my daughter. I prefer not for her to have data all the time as it would just cause her to use her phone more. I simply added a bunch of booster packs when they go on sale and tell her that she has a limited amount of data to use and it is to be used only for emergency cases (e.g. she's lost and needs to use GPS or look up something). I also added some talk minutes and they even have U.S. booster packs for when we're travelling south of the border.

The only thing I haven't been able to figure out is that she cannot receive picture messages. She uses an iphone and I think in order for her to receive an SMS picture is to turn on data. But wouldn't that mean all other apps would use data as well? Is there a setting within iOS that allows you to turn on data just for SMS? I'm an Android guy.
Apr 14, 2017
749 posts
717 upvotes
I still prefer the combination of $15/3gb fido data-only plan + textnow or what have you.
Jan 19, 2007
728 posts
321 upvotes
Toronto
It's not really clear to me on the website. Can someone help confirm the following?

Base Plan $15 includes:
$20 bonus sign up, 1 time
10% off for credit card pre-pay, forever
100 bonus minutes canada wide booster (without the booster, there is 0 minutes, right?)
do these minutes accumulate with roll over?
250MB with no rollover

are these prepaid plans eligible for referral credits?
Last edited by no8t4 on May 24th, 2019 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)