Expired Hot Deals

[Koodo] Koodo Samsung S7 $0 on tab large (It's Back)

• Last Updated:
  • May 7th, 2017 5:04 pm
Sep 2, 2007
96 posts
27 upvotes
Hmm so I'm already with Koodo right now and I don't mind sticking with them, I've been waiting on an S7 deal exactly like this one. However I have a sweet old $30 bargain basement Koodo phone plan with double data I want to keep...
It looks like I will have to update my plan to the $69 one to get the "Tab Large" discount with the S7.

So my question is can I cancel or change my plan back to a lower $30-40 plan again afterwards? Altho I will lose the double data which I don't see coming back again any time soon at $30... I don't need to fully cancel with Koodo, but I don't want to pay $50-70+ for my plan. I wouldn't mind a $40 plan with a bit more data if I could get this S7 at around $500 though.

Koodo's site says this:
I’m on a Tab Medium plan and want to change to a Tab Small plan. Can I do that?
Yes you can! The first thing you need to do is pay off your outstanding Tab Medium balance in Self Serve. Then you can select a Tab Small plan.

Just a head's up, you'll need to be a Koodo customer for at least 90 days before you can pay off your Tab Balance.
Does that mean that since I've already been with Koodo for years I can swap my tab back down and just pay the tab balance? If so that will work for me and I can go to a $40 plan and end up paying $10 more than my old bill with a bit more data.

On that note, anybody know how often the $30 or $40 dollar plans have the double data deals? I haven't seen the $30 plans have that since I got it 3-4 years ago, but last I've seen the $40 plan had double data was maybe half a year ago or so?
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2015
2108 posts
1220 upvotes
RedruM7 wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 2:42 am
Hmm so I'm already with Koodo right now and I don't mind sticking with them, I've been waiting on an S7 deal exactly like this one. However I have a sweet old $30 bargain basement Koodo phone plan with double data I want to keep...
It looks like I will have to update my plan to the $69 one to get the "Tab Large" discount with the S7.

So my question is can I cancel or change my plan back to a lower $30-40 plan again afterwards? Altho I will lose the double data which I don't see coming back again any time soon at $30... I don't need to fully cancel with Koodo, but I don't want to pay $50-70+ for my plan. I wouldn't mind a $40 plan with a bit more data if I could get this S7 at around $500 though.

Koodo's site says this:

Does that mean that since I've already been with Koodo for years I can swap my tab back down and just pay the tab balance? If so that will work for me and I can go to a $40 plan and end up paying $10 more than my old bill with a bit more data.

On that note, anybody know how often the $30 or $40 dollar plans have the double data deals? I haven't seen the $30 plans have that since I got it 3-4 years ago, but last I've seen the $40 plan had double data was maybe half a year ago or so?
You should open up a new account, get the phone and cancel and continue using the phone with your old plan. That's the only way you get to keep your plan.
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
11637 posts
3553 upvotes
Oakville
jabone wrote:
Apr 17th, 2017 11:33 pm
Just called in to cancel and they said i could not cancel for 90 days. I don't really want to buy another sim to port out to, so i guess i will return the phone. Are they going to refund the sim card cost?

How disappointed am i going to be with the ebay US refurb? Does the battery life suck that bad?

Good phone, but so far I may prefer my one plus one for web browsing which is most of what i do. I smashed it's screen and it is too old to justify replacing the screen for $80.
Yeah, you can cancel whenever you want. There's no 90 day rule.
Public Mobile
Koodo
Nov 25, 2007
685 posts
173 upvotes
Toronto
RedruM7 wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 2:42 am

Koodo's site says this:

Did you actually try to add the Tab Large and get the S7 and it said you needed a $69 plan?

I'm on an older plan as well $30/month. Ive never had any issues getting phones on Tab Medium even though it mentions plans starting at $40/month
Sep 2, 2007
96 posts
27 upvotes
TransporterSD wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 7:27 am

You should open up a new account, get the phone and cancel and continue using the phone with your old plan. That's the only way you get to keep your plan.
So this works out fine? The only question is the 90 day thing with a new plan which I believe is on their website as I've quoted earlier, is this a ymmv thing? I'd rather not jump into it only to find out I can't cancel it or get the same deal on the phone.
Not sure how they would punish me for cancelling early tho and paying off the tab, unless they charged me full price for the phone or extra monthly bills or something?
Mansech wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 9:19 am
Did you actually try to add the Tab Large and get the S7 and it said you needed a $69 plan?

I'm on an older plan as well $30/month. Ive never had any issues getting phones on Tab Medium even though it mentions plans starting at $40/month
Well I've tried on their website and after selecting phones I have to also select a plan after, the only ones I can choose from are the $69+ ones. Not sure if its different in person maybe?

I'm thinking of going to a kiosk and talking to them in person so I can know for sure and possibly get the phone on the spot at a BB (if I can?) is it frowned upon if I was just honest about only wanting the S7 along with my old deal? Yet I would still like to stay with Koodo on a cheaper plan, thats how I would approach it.

At worst I should be able to get the S7 deal and the $69 plan than swap back to a $40 plan tho right? That would be the safe bet I'm assuming?
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
11637 posts
3553 upvotes
Oakville
RedruM7 wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 10:27 am
So this works out fine? The only question is the 90 day thing with a new plan which I believe is on their website as I've quoted earlier, is this a ymmv thing? I'd rather not jump into it only to find out I can't cancel it or get the same deal on the phone.
Not sure how they would punish me for cancelling early tho and paying off the tab, unless they charged me full price for the phone or extra monthly bills or something?

Well I've tried on their website and after selecting phones I have to also select a plan after, the only ones I can choose from are the $69+ ones. Not sure if its different in person maybe?

I'm thinking of going to a kiosk and talking to them in person so I can know for sure and possibly get the phone on the spot at a BB (if I can?) is it frowned upon if I was just honest about only wanting the S7 along with my old deal? Yet I would still like to stay with Koodo on a cheaper plan, thats how I would approach it.
You can cancel before 90 days are up, and not have to pay back the activation credit. If you get any other bonuses with your sign up (gift cards, headsets, speakers, etc) you have to pay those back if you cancel within 90 days. If you do a referral, you can only keep the credit if you stay 90 days. Otherwise, you're good to go. The staff will try to tell you that you have to pay back the activation credit, but I have yet to hear of anybody that has had to pay that back yet, after hundreds and hundreds of RFDers taking advantage of these deals.

What some people do, is self-refer (currently a $50 credit for both accounts), then pay off the tab and put the phone on seasonal hold until the 90 days are up, but usually they only do that when their are gifts involved in the sign up, so they can keep the gifts. The $100 in referrals offsets the seasonal hold monthly cost (plus the pro-rated monthly cost until seasonal hold is applied). It's kind of a pain in the butt to do that though, as you can't pay off your tab until your first bill comes, and then it's YMMV getting a rep to put you on seasonal hold (technically not supposed to be allowed till 90 days as well, but seems to be applicable as soon as your tab is paid off, etc).
Public Mobile
Koodo
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2012
1535 posts
301 upvotes
TORONTO
So on top of the 504 there is tax and a first month charge?
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
11637 posts
3553 upvotes
Oakville
zakregent wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 11:02 am
So on top of the 504 there is tax and a first month charge?
Not even a full first month. It should be pro-rated for the amount of time that you're with them.
Public Mobile
Koodo
Sep 2, 2007
96 posts
27 upvotes
wearysky wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 10:38 am
You can cancel before 90 days are up, and not have to pay back the activation credit. If you get any other bonuses with your sign up (gift cards, headsets, speakers, etc) you have to pay those back if you cancel within 90 days. If you do a referral, you can only keep the credit if you stay 90 days. Otherwise, you're good to go. The staff will try to tell you that you have to pay back the activation credit, but I have yet to hear of anybody that has had to pay that back yet, after hundreds and hundreds of RFDers taking advantage of these deals.

What some people do, is self-refer (currently a $50 credit for both accounts), then pay off the tab and put the phone on seasonal hold until the 90 days are up, but usually they only do that when their are gifts involved in the sign up, so they can keep the gifts. The $100 in referrals offsets the seasonal hold monthly cost (plus the pro-rated monthly cost until seasonal hold is applied). It's kind of a pain in the butt to do that though, as you can't pay off your tab until your first bill comes, and then it's YMMV getting a rep to put you on seasonal hold (technically not supposed to be allowed till 90 days as well, but seems to be applicable as soon as your tab is paid off, etc).
Cool thanks for the info! So when you say pay back your other bonuses, the current deal I'm looking at is an S7 and comes with a bonus speaker, you mean pay back the deal prices of $504 and $0 for the speaker and not the regular prices of $874 and/or $39.99 for the speaker right? If so that sounds pretty good. Ya thats what I'm worried about, just how ymmy this canceling deal is, but yeah if that many people have been able to do it I might give it a go, I've been looking to upgrade for a lil while now, if I can keep my old plan the better.

My lil $30 plan with double data (a whopping 200mb) has been the sweet spot for value/data for a long time and I've manged with 200mb until lately, not sure if its my wonky phone as of late, or just how data/android is nowadays but I've had to tighten my data usage a lot as of late, so moving to a $40 500mb plan wouldn't be the end of the world either.
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
11637 posts
3553 upvotes
Oakville
RedruM7 wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 11:17 am
Cool thanks for the info! So when you say pay back your other bonuses, the current deal I'm looking at is an S7 and comes with a bonus speaker, you mean pay back the deal prices of $504 and $0 for the speaker and not the regular prices of $874 and/or $39.99 for the speaker right? If so that sounds pretty good. Ya thats what I'm worried about, just how ymmy this canceling deal is, but yeah if that many people have been able to do it I might give it a go, I've been looking to upgrade for a lil while now, if I can keep my old plan the better.

My lil $30 plan with double data (a whopping 200mb) has been the sweet spot for value/data for a long time and I've manged with 200mb until lately, not sure if its my wonky phone as of late, or just how data/android is nowadays but I've had to tighten my data usage a lot as of late, so moving to a $40 500mb plan wouldn't be the end of the world either.
If you cancel before 90 days, the $39.99 value of the speaker would be added to your final bill. The activation credit of $370 off the price of the phone would not - that never gets clawed back, at least it never has yet (despite many CSRs on the phone warning people that it would be, if they cancelled before 90 days).
Public Mobile
Koodo
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2012
1535 posts
301 upvotes
TORONTO
wearysky wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 11:15 am
Not even a full first month. It should be pro-rated for the amount of time that you're with them.
So I can literally go into a koodo store today, get the phone, cancel tomorrow over the phone or in store (not sure on which), and pay for that 1 day?
Jan 29, 2014
399 posts
329 upvotes
Toronto
Or you can do what i did and cancel immediately when you get home. I didn't get charged a single day. Only $504 tab fee. Though I took out the sim card when I left the koodo store to make sure no data is used.
Sep 2, 2007
96 posts
27 upvotes
professormeth wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 12:30 pm
Or you can do what i did and cancel immediately when you get home. I didn't get charged a single day. Only $504 tab fee. Though I took out the sim card when I left the koodo store to make sure no data is used.
So you were able to do this for this deal recently? You were able to get the phone and speaker in person as well, than cancel thru phone same day no issues or questions asked?
Hmm... I might go to a Best Buy and try my luck with this at lunch than. About how long did the whole Koodo setup process take you meth?

Would it be an issue if I already have an account with Koodo? Would they see that? And would I have to use different account info? Like address email etc?

Thanks again for all the info guys.
Jan 29, 2014
399 posts
329 upvotes
Toronto
RedruM7 wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 12:41 pm
So you were able to do this for this deal recently? You were able to get the phone and speaker in person as well, than cancel thru phone same day no issues or questions asked?
Hmm... I might go to a Best Buy and try my luck with this at lunch than. About how long did the whole Koodo setup process take you meth?

Would it be an issue if I already have an account with Koodo? Would they see that? And would I have to use different account info? Like address email etc?

Thanks again for all the info guys.
I previously had an account with them but not anymore. So I set up a new account with a new number. Then I called in to cancel. Said I found a better price. No questions asked. Activated at a koodo operated kiosk.
Sep 2, 2007
96 posts
27 upvotes
professormeth wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 12:56 pm
I previously had an account with them but not anymore. So I set up a new account with a new number. Then I called in to cancel. Said I found a better price. No questions asked. Activated at a koodo operated kiosk.
Thats awesome, so were you able to get both the phone and speaker in person at the kiosk? Or do they have to ship it to you? And like Weary was saying earlier did you have to pay off the speaker? Sounds like you didn't which is great.