Expired Hot Deals

[Koodo] Koodo Samsung S7 $0 on tab large (It's Back)

• Last Updated:
  • May 7th, 2017 5:04 pm
Sep 2, 2007
99 posts
28 upvotes
Ahh thats pretty sweet, thanks guys, looks like I'll definitely be looking at Public Mobile!

I'll call Koodo tho and give them a chance first to see if they can do anything before I switch over, but the specific timing of this particular plan removal with my upgrade and their weird tab system as a whole, along with my preference to stay with them and not go thru the wasted time for both of us with the new plan and cancel deal and than getting burned like this leaves a bad taste in my mouth... But oh well, what can u do... switch I guess :P

At their current prices and now with the middle ground $40 data plan getting wiped completely at the most convenient time possible, its either downgrade to 100mb, or jump ship to PM and ya... thats an easy decision to make for sure.

So couple questions about PM, is it basically mini 3 month contracts? And you can stick to your same plan as long as you stay a customer?
Also it runs on Koodo/Telus network correct? So same coverage and my locked Koodo phone should work with a PM sim?
I don't see myself needing any service from them as I've never needed it from Koodo, I only used their website and app for bills and such which worked pretty nicely, hopefully PM has that as well?

I guess the only thing I need to make sure is to port over my old number as I really want to keep that for sure.
Jul 28, 2014
957 posts
452 upvotes
Toronto, ON
RedruM7 wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 4:02 pm
Ahh thats pretty sweet, thanks guys, looks like I'll definitely be looking at Public Mobile!

I'll call Koodo tho and give them a chance first to see if they can do anything before I switch over, but the specific timing of this particular plan removal with my upgrade and their weird tab system as a whole, along with my preference to stay with them and not go thru the wasted time for both of us with the new plan and cancel deal and than getting burned like this leaves a bad taste in my mouth... But oh well, what can u do... switch I guess :P

At their current prices and now with the middle ground $40 data plan getting wiped completely at the most convenient time possible, its either downgrade to 100mb, or jump ship to PM and ya... thats an easy decision to make for sure.

So couple questions about PM, is it basically mini 3 month contracts? And you can stick to your same plan as long as you stay a customer?
Also it runs on Koodo/Telus network correct? So same coverage and my locked Koodo phone should work with a PM sim?
I don't see myself needing any service from them as I've never needed it from Koodo, I only used their website and app for bills and such which worked pretty nicely, hopefully PM has that as well?

I guess the only thing I need to make sure is to port over my old number as I really want to keep that for sure.
Have you considered Zoomer's $36 2gb plan? It comes with a free phone, and there's a $50 referral credit available if you signup by the end of April.
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12455 posts
4034 upvotes
Oakville
RedruM7 wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 2:56 pm
Ok wow, so I went ahead with the S7 deal + speaker and changed my old $30 double data plan over to some $69 large tab plan thinking I could switch down to the more reasonable $40 plan with 500mb data....
Wrong, that plan has magically disappeared right after I got my shipping confirmation of my phone and plan change, not an hour sooner or later as I have been checking regularly... And yes it looks like thats the only plan that disappeared, below it is the old $30 plan with 100mb.

Looks like I totally f'd up and should have went thru with the start a brand new plan and cancel song and dance... I did not see this coming, I actually thought this was the safe way.
Quite strange... Also the site tells me I can't change plans within 14 days of my last one. So now I'm strongly considering jumping the Koodo ship completely...
Whos the best to go to for $30-40 data plans? I've been ok with 200mb thus far but an upgrade to around 500mb would be nice.

I remember looking at public mobile a lil while ago, are these guys pretty reliable?
Could it be that the $40 plan you saw is simply ineligible if you're on a tab (presuming you didn't buy the phone outright)? If so, if you pay off your tab, in theory you should be able to see that plan again if you pay off your tab.

Having said that - Public Mobile is fantastic. I'm with them (jumped ship from Rogers when they had the 4GB/$40 promo a few months back) and have zero complaints. It's the same network as Koodo (they're both owned by Telus), the only difference really is that they have no phone support, it's online/forum support only (which I've found to be much better than any phone support I ever got from Rogers). It's not difficult at all, but it's also not immediate, necessarily (most of the time fixed within an hour, if it's during their business hours). Also, no roaming support outside of Canada/US, and even then their US roaming plans are only available in 10 day chunks.

But for $35 a month, if you're willing to turn on autopay and pay in 90 day increments, you can get:

- 3GB data over 90 days (around 1GB per month, but it's flexible so you can use 500mb the first month, 1.5GB the second month, and 1 gb the third month if you want)
- Unlmited provincial talk
- Unlimited global text

An extra $15/90 days if you want unlimited Canada-wide talk. And an extra $2/30 days if you don't want to turn on autopay. You can also double the data to 6gb for an extra $3/30 days. Also, there's referral discounts ($1/30 days for each referral, only for the referrer not for the referee), loyalty discounts ($1/30 days for every year you're with the company, up to $5/30 days), and community rewards (minimum $1/30 days if you're in the top 50% of participants on their forums, which is hella easy to get).

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions about PM, I'm pretty active on the forums over there so I have a pretty good handle on the things to watch out for, etc.
Last edited by wearysky on Apr 20th, 2017 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Public Mobile
Sep 2, 2007
99 posts
28 upvotes
Hmm haven't looked at Zoomer before, I'll take a quick peek thanks, altho I definitely don't need a phone anymore since I just ordered my S7 with this bum Koodo plan.
wearysky wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 4:18 pm
Could it be that the $40 plan you saw is simply ineligible if you're on a tab (presuming you didn't buy the phone outright)? If so, if you pay off your tab, in theory you should be able to see that plan again if you pay off your tab.

Having said that - Public Mobile is fantastic. I'm with them (jumped ship from Rogers when they had the 4GB/$40 promo a few months back) and have zero complaints. It's the same network as Koodo (they're both owned by Telus), the only difference really is that they have no phone support, it's online/forum support only (which I've found to be much better than any phone support I ever got from Rogers). It's not difficult at all, but it's also not immediate, necessarily (most of the time fixed within an hour, if it's during their business hours). Also, no roaming support outside of Canada/US, and even then their US roaming plans are only available in 10 day chunks.

But for $38 a month, if you're willing to turn on autopay and pay in 90 day increments, you can get:

- 3GB data over 90 days (around 1GB per month, but it's flexible so you can use 500mb the first month, 1.5GB the second month, and 1 gb the third month if you want)
- Unlmited provincial talk
- Unlimited global text

An extra $15/90 days if you want unlimited Canada-wide talk. And an extra $2/30 days if you don't want to turn on autopay. Also, there's referral discounts ($1/30 days for each referral, only for the referrer not for the referee), loyalty discounts ($1/30 days for every year you're with the company, up to $5/30 days), and community rewards (minimum $1/30 days if you're in the top 50% of participants on their forums, which is hella easy to get).

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions about PM, I'm pretty active on the forums over there so I have a pretty good handle on the things to watch out for, etc.
That is awesome, thanks for all the helpful info Wearysky, no I've tried logging out of Koodo and the plans are the same. This definitely gives me some confidence to switch over tho. I'm definitely thinking about going with the 6gb over 90 days as its only a few bucks more, even as cheap as I am that is a good deal and I can find use for the extra data.

However it looks like I may be able to score a nice out of province Koodo plan, I'm thinking of starting a Quebec Koodo plan/number and porting over my number, is the process pretty straight forward and simple to do? It looks like you can even do it online, altho I read I might have to port my existing Koodo number to a pre-paid than port that to my new quebec plan, anyone have any experience with this?? Is there any issues with the out of province/quebec plans on an Alberta number?
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12455 posts
4034 upvotes
Oakville
RedruM7 wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 5:19 pm
However it looks like I may be able to score a nice out of province Koodo plan, I'm thinking of starting a Quebec Koodo plan/number and porting over my number, is the process pretty straight forward and simple to do? It looks like you can even do it online, altho I read I might have to port my existing Koodo number to a pre-paid than port that to my new quebec plan, anyone have any experience with this?? Is there any issues with the out of province/quebec plans on an Alberta number?
Oh yeah, if you're willing to jump through the hoops for a Koodo QC plan, that's a great deal too. Instructions here: http://howardforums.com/showthread.php/ ... -in-Canada (also, try to find an existing Koodo member to refer to, since it's $50 for referrals right now). And yes, you can't port an existing Koodo post-paid number to another Koodo post-paid account, you have to port out to prepaid and back in. It only works with QC plans right now if I'm not mistaken. I would have recommended that if you'd mentioned you were willing to go up to $49 a month (which is the cost for the 4GB plan - for any of their cheaper plans you're better off going with other providers).

Oh, and my mistake - the $38/month I mentioned above for PM was for 6gb over 90 days, not 3gb. It's $35/month for 3gb after prepay discount. I'll go update that post now.
Public Mobile
Sep 2, 2007
99 posts
28 upvotes
wearysky wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 5:28 pm
Oh yeah, if you're willing to jump through the hoops for a Koodo QC plan, that's a great deal too. Instructions here: http://howardforums.com/showthread.php/ ... -in-Canada (also, try to find an existing Koodo member to refer to, since it's $50 for referrals right now). And yes, you can't port an existing Koodo post-paid number to another Koodo post-paid account, you have to port out to prepaid and back in. It only works with QC plans right now if I'm not mistaken. I would have recommended that if you'd mentioned you were willing to go up to $49 a month (which is the cost for the 4GB plan - for any of their cheaper plans you're better off going with other providers).

Oh, and my mistake - the $38/month I mentioned above for PM was for 6gb over 90 days, not 3gb. It's $35/month for 3gb after prepay discount. I'll go update that post now.
Hmm... So when I did the math $111/3 came out to $37/month for the cheapest data plan on 3 month contract, how do you get it to $35 with prepay discount? I'm thinking that is when you select the 90 plan from the first option?

Yeah I'd be looking at the $35 plan with 1gb in Quebec, that plan is much better than my old one, and basically is the exact plan I've always wanted in price range and data. Sounds like it would be about the same deal if I can get that $35 PM plan you mentioned?
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12455 posts
4034 upvotes
Oakville
RedruM7 wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 5:46 pm
Hmm... So when I did the math $111/3 came out to $37/month for the cheapest data plan on 3 month contract, how do you get it to $35 with prepay discount? I'm thinking that is when you select the 90 plan from the first option?

Yeah I'd be looking at the $35 plan with 1gb in Quebec, that plan is much better than my old one, and basically is the exact plan I've always wanted in price range and data. Sounds like it would be about the same deal if I can get that $35 PM plan you mentioned?
Sorry, I meant autopay, not prepay. If you turn on autopay you get an extra $2 off every 30 days. At the same price, Koodo is a slightly better value because you get nationwide minutes instead of provincial. But if you don't call out of province PM has the benefit of being an in market plan with no hassles or hoops.
Public Mobile
Apr 7, 2007
115 posts
46 upvotes
Did anyone else have any problems trying to unlock it?

I used the ebay link posted on page 1 and they said they didn't have the unlock code. Anyone got a site with decent pricing and works?

Also have anyone tried the free code generator sites out there?
Oct 31, 2006
451 posts
72 upvotes
parafilm wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 6:57 pm
Did anyone else have any problems trying to unlock it?

I used the ebay link posted on page 1 and they said they didn't have the unlock code. Anyone got a site with decent pricing and works?

Also have anyone tried the free code generator sites out there?
Happened to me in January. Wait a couple of days and try again through the eBay link. Sometimes it takes a while for them to get your phone in their database.
Mar 6, 2002
825 posts
296 upvotes
Vancouver
TransporterSD wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 8:34 am
People reported getting unlock code freer from Samsung.
How? Thx
Feb 2, 2008
455 posts
174 upvotes
Montreal, QC
TransporterSD wrote:
I might be mistaken, but I thought that was only when people bought unlocked phones that then locked to the carrier when the sim was first inserted.
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12455 posts
4034 upvotes
Oakville
TransporterSD wrote:
I thought Samsung had stopped doing that? That was the report in this Public Mobile thread, any way.
Public Mobile
Dec 31, 2008
110 posts
56 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
wearysky wrote:
Apr 20th, 2017 6:27 pm
Sorry, I meant autopay, not prepay. If you turn on autopay you get an extra $2 off every 30 days. At the same price, Koodo is a slightly better value because you get nationwide minutes instead of provincial. But if you don't call out of province PM has the benefit of being an in market plan with no hassles or hoops.
FYI, you can add a Canada/US Long Distance add on which will let you call other provinces, in case you need to do that occasionally. The minutes roll over, so you can add it once and use it as needed.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)