[Koodo] LG G6 $240 on Tab Small

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 24th, 2018 1:17 pm
Mar 5, 2006
962 posts
267 upvotes
Toronto
I just changed my plan.
I requested a call back from their site.
Didn't ask why, didn't give me any trouble, 1st try call. Guess I was lucky?
I've been with Koodo for about a year now (with the original Public Mobile to Koodo move over)

My phone should be available for pick up tomorrow. Guess time to start cleaning up my phone for transfer! Luckily from LG to LG, they have an app for that.
Feb 1, 2012
86 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto
if you're adamant on seasonal hold, just redial a few times or request callback

otherwise, just cancel outright or stick with the $30/plan for 3 months and ensure you have a referral for those months; the net cost would be about 90 x tax - 30 (referral) vs seasonal hold of 45 x tax -- rather insignificant difference
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
2193 posts
1650 upvotes
jasonchewy wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 11:27 am
btw, here's something interesting that I've been looking forward to for a long time, and apparnetly LG G6 supports it with Koodo now:
https://community.koodomobile.com/andro ... g6-7790610

My signal at work isn't the best, with this, I won't miss calls anymore.
Been using WIFI calling on the G6 for about 2 months now, zero issues, works great.
Apr 7, 2017
32 posts
3 upvotes
kostakosta wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 11:31 am
if you're adamant on seasonal hold, just redial a few times or request callback

otherwise, just cancel outright or stick with the $30/plan for 3 months and ensure you have a referral for those months; the net cost would be about 90 x tax - 30 (referral) vs seasonal hold of 45 x tax -- rather insignificant difference
Can i get a referral after I've activated service with them or did i miss the boat?
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2007
1254 posts
455 upvotes
Cambridge
Carn2k1 wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 11:44 am
Can i get a referral after I've activated service with them or did i miss the boat?
You've missed the boat. The referral needs to be set up before becoming a customer.

The referral is also only good if you're staying with Koodo and not just getting the phone and leaving.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2007
2193 posts
1650 upvotes
orbitdesign wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 11:50 am
You've missed the boat. The referral needs to be set up before becoming a customer.

The referral is also only good if you're staying with Koodo and not just getting the phone and leaving.
The reason for that, in case the OP doesn't know, is the referral credit is meted out $10/month for 5 months, and doesn't start until the referral is approved/processed/progressed.

I didn't get my first referral credit until my third bill.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2007
1254 posts
455 upvotes
Cambridge
repatch wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 11:56 am
The reason for that, in case the OP doesn't know, is the referral credit is meted out $10/month for 5 months, and doesn't start until the referral is approved/processed/progressed.

I didn't get my first referral credit until my third bill.
Good to call out. And yes, the referral takes 6-8 weeks to be applied to your account. If you do plan to stay with Koodo, make sure you get a referral from someone before signing up for the extra $50 credit!
Apr 7, 2017
32 posts
3 upvotes
orbitdesign wrote:
Nov 14th, 2018 11:59 am
Good to call out. And yes, the referral takes 6-8 weeks to be applied to your account. If you do plan to stay with Koodo, make sure you get a referral from someone before signing up for the extra $50 credit!
Thanks guys. Lesson learned i guess. I guess I'll call in at some point today and change my plan to the $30 one. Hopefully they won't give me any trouble for that.
Nov 16, 2016
87 posts
42 upvotes
So in that regard, is someone just supposed to sign up for a plan with a small tab, say they no longer want the contract and pay $240 for the phone and get out? Like just the next day?

I've been seeing this around a lot, but never understood how it works. Sorry for the dumb question.
Mar 5, 2006
962 posts
267 upvotes
Toronto
Bigboy16 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2018 12:29 pm
So in that regard, is someone just supposed to sign up for a plan with a small tab, say they no longer want the contract and pay $240 for the phone and get out? Like just the next day?

I've been seeing this around a lot, but never understood how it works. Sorry for the dumb question.
It's a promotion that primarily tries to get people to sign up with a cell phone carrier.
Supposively, if you stick with that carrier, overtime, the cost of the monthly plan will pay for the phone (on the carrier's end), and they'll start to profit with you as a customer.
TMS won't tell you this straight out (probably they're not allowed or instructed to not tell you about it), but in order for TMS to look good on the carrier's book on providing this promotion, the customer should be staying with the carrier for at least 3 months (or 90 days?). Otherwise, the carrier will give TMS a bad performance or something. Other RFDers mentioned TMS might even blacklist you in the future if you do this to them.

So in short, if you cancel right away, you'll negatively affect the TMS that just gave you a great deal.

Lol, when I picked up my phone yesterday, there was another staff there that got the nervous look when I said I just wanted the phone. But the other staff that dealt with me knows I won't screw with them, as I'm already on the Seasonal Hold plan.
Deal Addict
May 5, 2007
4236 posts
850 upvotes
jasonchewy wrote:
Nov 16th, 2018 12:42 pm
It's a promotion that primarily tries to get people to sign up with a cell phone carrier.
Supposively, if you stick with that carrier, overtime, the cost of the monthly plan will pay for the phone (on the carrier's end), and they'll start to profit with you as a customer.
TMS won't tell you this straight out (probably they're not allowed or instructed to not tell you about it), but in order for TMS to look good on the carrier's book on providing this promotion, the customer should be staying with the carrier for at least 3 months (or 90 days?). Otherwise, the carrier will give TMS a bad performance or something. Other RFDers mentioned TMS might even blacklist you in the future if you do this to them.

So in short, if you cancel right away, you'll negatively affect the TMS that just gave you a great deal.

Lol, when I picked up my phone yesterday, there was another staff there that got the nervous look when I said I just wanted the phone. But the other staff that dealt with me knows I won't screw with them, as I'm already on the Seasonal Hold plan.
You got it. Build a good relationship with your TMS guy. Mine even texts me every now and then to tell me about a great deal. He knows I won't screw him.
Nov 16, 2016
87 posts
42 upvotes
jasonchewy wrote:
Nov 16th, 2018 12:42 pm

Great! So its buy the plan, get the phone with the $10 tab, put yourself on seasonal hold for $15 + pay the $10*3 = $45 so that the sales rep isn't hurt. Then it totals $240+$45 = $285 for a brand new phone! That's great! Thanks for the help and advice!
Nov 26, 2012
37 posts
51 upvotes
Montreal
Anyone can confirm how much PC points they receive? I have seen people report 250,000 in the thread, but I see 150,000 on the website. For wowmobile, I see a 150$ gift card on a tab MEDIUM plan.
Mar 5, 2006
962 posts
267 upvotes
Toronto
Bigboy16 wrote:
Nov 16th, 2018 12:57 pm
Great! So its buy the plan, get the phone with the $10 tab, put yourself on seasonal hold for $15 + pay the $10*3 = $45 so that the sales rep isn't hurt. Then it totals $240+$45 = $285 for a brand new phone! That's great! Thanks for the help and advice!
There might be admin charge, or charge of the sim card, but all in all, along with the PC points and trade-in , you end up with a fairly high end phone for less than $100. (I suspect the whole thing might end up even less than $50)
I've been a faithful follower of these TMS deals over the years (LG G3->G5->G6), and it usually ends up around just under $150, so this year's deal is pretty good. Was on the fence, cause my G5's still great and no problems at all, but a deal this great I can't resist.