Koodo Mobile - Cancel plan immediately?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 13th, 2019 6:04 pm
[OP]
Dec 9, 2006
348 posts
106 upvotes

Koodo Mobile - Cancel plan immediately?

Hi. I've done a search, but can't seem to find a definitive answer to this question.

If I sign up for a Koodo plan for a Pixel XL 2, can I immediately pay off my tab large and cancel the plan?

I'm currently a customer on an old plan and they will not let me get a Pixel 2 XL on a Tab Large unless I switch my plan. The Tab large works out to $704 for the phone when it's paid off. I was thinking of just adding a new line and cancelling the plan when my phone is in my hand.

Any advice?
86 replies
Aug 28, 2007
623 posts
196 upvotes
Vancouver
Yes, if you take a look at any of the Koodo threads in the hot deals you'll see the discussions.

What I did was just get a prepaid sim card from Bell off of ebay and ported the number to it. Didn't want to have to call.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
24350 posts
10691 upvotes
Ottawa
Fishy007 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2018 8:23 pm
Hi. I've done a search, but can't seem to find a definitive answer to this question.

If I sign up for a Koodo plan for a Pixel XL 2, can I immediately pay off my tab large and cancel the plan?

I'm currently a customer on an old plan and they will not let me get a Pixel 2 XL on a Tab Large unless I switch my plan. The Tab large works out to $704 for the phone when it's paid off. I was thinking of just adding a new line and cancelling the plan when my phone is in my hand.

Any advice?
Don't forget taxes, cost of simcard and min one day of service at $74/month.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
2657 posts
1472 upvotes
Vancouver
Just look at all the koodo threads for any phone (say s8).

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/koodo-s ... 4-2147350/

Or pretty much any koodo plus phone threads and you will see countless examples of this... the process and the final cost. This has been a common method for rfders getting phones for years (probably main reason bell/virgin inserted the 90 days clawback).
Oct 28, 2013
21 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Hey, I have quick question I tried to look in for this answer, sorry I couldn't find it.
So I recently bought a phone from WOW with Koodo thinking of cancelling it the very next day but when I checked my Koodo self serve page it does not show any bill to payoff, called the cancellation # no response from that line , called the Koodo customer service and tried to pay it off by phone but I couldn't even connecting to a rep. He said no bill has being updated to payoff.

My koodo self serve says I have e to be with Koodo for at least 3 months to payoff the full tab.
Please, anyone experienced this? Like to know how you guys got through the cancellation process..
Thanks in advance,peace..
Dec 18, 2017
18 posts
5 upvotes
Don't call and ask to pay it off or to send a bill or anything. Just cancel and they will send you a final bill with the total tab amount. It will arrive like any other regular bill
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
1505 posts
389 upvotes
Toronto
In a similar situation here where I'm an existing Koodo customer but kind of want to get in on the Pixel 2XL deal. Is it more risky being a current Koodo customer? If I open a second line and then cancel the next day I'm good with paying the $15 sim + tax + 1 day of service but would Koodo clawback the subsidy on my main line?
Oct 28, 2013
21 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
bland1 wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 2:15 pm
Don't call and ask to pay it off or to send a bill or anything. Just cancel and they will send you a final bill with the total tab amount. It will arrive like any other regular bill
Hey, well then how do I cancel I even tried the direct line for cancellation no one picked the call.
Dec 18, 2017
18 posts
5 upvotes
You have to call in to cancel. Don't call in to ask to pay it off immediately. They will mention the balance owing and that you will receive it on your next bill.
Dec 21, 2016
148 posts
93 upvotes
You can definitely cancel and pay off. My friend used to work at Fido told me that if you cancel under certain amount of the time, the rep who helped you will not get their commission and the company will mark your account as well.
Oct 28, 2013
21 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Chris258852 wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 9:55 pm
You can definitely cancel and pay off. My friend used to work at Fido told me that if you cancel under certain amount of the time, the rep who helped you will not get their commission and the company will mark your account as well.
But when I called the customer service they said that has per policy I have to stick with Koodo for 90days to make a cancle.
Apr 14, 2006
337 posts
177 upvotes
Go to the cell phone forums. Easiest way is to port the number out onto any prepaid sim card. Will cancel line automatically.
[OP]
Dec 9, 2006
348 posts
106 upvotes
SDY121 wrote:
Jan 6th, 2018 10:09 pm
But when I called the customer service they said that has per policy I have to stick with Koodo for 90days to make a cancle.
That's BS. I believe it's against the CRTC rules. Additionally, Koodo has a 15 day money back guarantee. Ontario also has a law that says a contract can be cancelled within X days of initially signing. I believe it's 3 days.

Call again, get a different rep. If you get the same answer, just say that you'll file a complaint with the CRTC. That usually gets some traction. If you still run into a wall, you can just tell them you want your money back as per their 15 day guarantee. Worst case is that you're back at square one with no phone and no line....but at least you're not out the money. I'm waiting for my Pixel 2 XL to ship/arrive. Will update this once I try to cancel the line.

Edit: https://www.koodomobile.com/service-terms
Look for "Can I cancel my service at any time"
Last edited by Fishy007 on Jan 7th, 2018 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 28, 2013
21 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Fishy007 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2018 10:03 am
That's BS. I believe it's against the CRTC rules. Additionally, Koodo has a 15 day money back guarantee. Ontario also has a law that says a contract can be cancelled within X days of initially signing. I believe it's 3 days.

Call again, get a different rep. If you get the same answer, just say that you'll file a complaint with the CRTC. That usually gets some traction. If you still run into a wall, you can just tell them you want your money back as per their 15 day guarantee. Worst case is that you're back at square one with no phone and no line....but at least you're not out the money.

I'm waiting for my Pixel 2 XL to ship/arrive. Will update this once I try to cancel the line.
I would try calling in the customer service again.

Btw enjoy your pixcel2 xl.☺✌

Good luck,with the pixcel2 xl, I would taking a
Sep 21, 2014
177 posts
51 upvotes
North York, ON
Does doing either of these things cause your account/name to be flagged in the future to Koodo:

1. Porting out your number or
2. Putting your plan on a seasonal hold for 3 months and then canceling