Cell Phones

Koodo Mobile - Cancel plan immediately?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 13th, 2019 6:04 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
1227 posts
575 upvotes
I am skeptical they would allow seasonal hold in first 90 days....

But as has been discussed many times before they can NOT prevent you from cancelling
They are allowed to try and talk you out of it (scare you) but just ignore them and press on
Why waste the $5 on a SIM

The customer service reps also have no way of "flagging you" in system which is just another pile of dung
Do be warned though opening multiple accounts will be an issue since system tries to detect fraud
Koodo $40 Canada Wide + 8GB + 1000 Intl LD
Public $120 Province Wide + 12GB - $6 Autopay - $12 Loyalty - $45 Refer = $19 per Month
Freedom $35 ($37-BTS) North America Wide + 8GB + 1GB Roaming
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
2045 posts
527 upvotes
Woodbridge
Also, if your credit is marginal and you're likely to open new credit in the near future, it might have some impact there as well.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
1176 posts
205 upvotes
Edmonton
Some reps will try to talk you into returning the phone, instead of cancelling and paying off. Just calmly explain to them you want to cancel, say you're switching to Public Mobile with their better plans. They don't seem to mind as much since they're both owned by Telus.
[OP]
Dec 9, 2006
348 posts
106 upvotes
Update: It took Koodo 10 days, but they finally shipped my phone. (Pixel 2 XL). I received it yesterday and called in immediately. After an hour on hold, my call was answered and the line was cancelled within 5 mins. My final bill for that line will be the tab balance on the phone.
Aug 20, 2005
219 posts
12 upvotes
I have read this method takes a credit hit. Why ?
Apr 3, 2015
62 posts
8 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
So the best thing to do after obtaining the line would be to request a seasonal hold right? This way Wow mobile gets their commission, you do not get flagged by them, and you will receive the $50 referral bonus. Anyone know if they still provide holds within a few days of activation?
Apr 17, 2014
710 posts
227 upvotes
Corunna, ON
It's YMMV.

I suggest calling for another reason. Be super pleasant, ask the rep questions about their life, their country, whatever, build rapport then at the end say one more thing, my work gave me a temp phone while a coworker is on disability.

Can I get a seasonal hold.

Since you build rapport the rep will feel uncomfortable saying no.
Nov 26, 2015
759 posts
486 upvotes
Ontario
telix wrote:
Jan 13th, 2018 11:30 am
I have read this method takes a credit hit. Why ?
Opening any monthly cell phone plan requires a credit check. So it is a credit hit.
Mar 20, 2018
17 posts
5 upvotes
Hi everyone,
Im new over here n i saw alot of post regarding this method of how to get the phone. I was just curious if anyone has done it recently gotten their plan cancelled and only had to pay the tab balance? Cause i went to wow n the rep told me that if i was to cancel before 90 days i would have to pay the full retail price of the phone. So I'm curious of anybody has done this recently thanks.
Also what would be the best method calling in to cancel or porting number out?
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
1493 posts
660 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Desai123 wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2018 12:38 am
Hi everyone,
Im new over here n i saw alot of post regarding this method of how to get the phone. I was just curious if anyone has done it recently gotten their plan cancelled and only had to pay the tab balance? Cause i went to wow n the rep told me that if i was to cancel before 90 days i would have to pay the full retail price of the phone. So I'm curious of anybody has done this recently thanks.
Also what would be the best method calling in to cancel or porting number out?
That's BS he's just saying that so if you stay for the 90 days he gets his commission. And if you look at your binding papers it says there that you have a TAB balance owing on the plan, and if you were to cancel you have to owe that TAB balance and the number of days the plan was used. As OP did, just cancel right away and they will send you the final bill in mail. Why port? It's a new number so cancelling would be best practice.

And as users mentioned, just remember each time you do a TAB activation your credit gets checked. So if you're planning to make a bigger purchase soon just be cautious.
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Mar 20, 2018
17 posts
5 upvotes
True but he said its koodos terms n condition that if u cancel before 90 days they'll charge u full retail price. Cause i was checking their website and i do see if you were to checkout with a plan it does in fact show a activation tab or something like that.
Mar 20, 2018
17 posts
5 upvotes
lamboman wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2018 6:55 am
That's BS he's just saying that so if you stay for the 90 days he gets his commission. And if you look at your binding papers it says there that you have a TAB balance owing on the plan, and if you were to cancel you have to owe that TAB balance and the number of days the plan was used. As OP did, just cancel right away and they will send you the final bill in mail. Why port? It's a new number so cancelling would be best practice.

And as users mentioned, just remember each time you do a TAB activation your credit gets checked. So if you're planning to make a bigger purchase soon just be cautious.
So i just spoke to my friend who works for koodo. (Dunno why I didn't think of speaking to him first) he told me the wow rep lied to u about the 90 days thing cause he probably knew what you were going to do. He said its illegal for koodo to charge u before 90 days because only thing they can charge u is the tab balance. All he said was down activate the phone until u cancel the plan and you'll be good and he told me he just recently did it as well. :) So i guess I'm gonna try this method and get the s8 for $420!!
Oct 12, 2016
237 posts
38 upvotes
So I got my phone by mail from Koodo today (they mailed it out yesterday). Should I cancel immediately or wait?

Reason I am asking is that I am eligible for the $75 bill credit which the rep said will be posted on my first bill. How long does this credit usually take to appear on the account? I am wondering if this credit is worth the wait cuz if it takes too long then they will charge me for the cell services and may also risk the 14 days return period.
Mar 11, 2018
223 posts
114 upvotes
Desai123 wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2018 2:30 pm
So i just spoke to my friend who works for koodo. (Dunno why I didn't think of speaking to him first) he told me the wow rep lied to u about the 90 days thing cause he probably knew what you were going to do. He said its illegal for koodo to charge u before 90 days because only thing they can charge u is the tab balance. All he said was down activate the phone until u cancel the plan and you'll be good and he told me he just recently did it as well. :) So i guess I'm gonna try this method and get the s8 for $420!!

Is there a specific reason your friend recommended to not activate the phone until you have cancelled the plan?
Mar 20, 2018
17 posts
5 upvotes
MeatJuice wrote:
Mar 22nd, 2018 6:32 pm
Is there a specific reason your friend recommended to not activate the phone until you have cancelled the plan?
Honestly not sure he said just better not to use it until its cancelled. I'm guessing maybe just so i can return it within the 15 day period ?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

User588368