Koodo Mobile - Cancel plan immediately?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 13th, 2019 6:04 pm
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2003
14515 posts
1826 upvotes
Toronto
After cancelling a line, you should still have access to self serve to pay the bill unless Koodo had changed their system. I did this in June of this year.
Nov 25, 2017
11 posts
2 upvotes
As long as your self serve account is set up before you cancel, you'll have access for 90 days after you cancel.
yinan0001 wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2018 1:44 am
Hi just wondering can I view the final bill online and make a payment online as well?
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2001
1718 posts
77 upvotes
I can just set ups pay and talk with another provider, correct?
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
15395 posts
5733 upvotes
Oakville
Varian wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2018 6:40 am
I believe the moment you cancel/port out, the online account becomes impossible to login to. That was the case at least last time I have done it year ago.
Worked for me. It would throw an error whenever you logged in, but then if you clicked on the self-serve menu you could still go to the billing page.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
15395 posts
5733 upvotes
Oakville
JimG40238 wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2018 3:07 am
I just got a new phone on pre paid less headache.
No sweet tab discounted phones on pre paid, though.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Jan 22, 2016
47 posts
19 upvotes
Clarifying a few things before buying a Samsung A5 on boxing day.

1) I buy the phone on small tab for $0 on a $30/month plan (Manitoba). A $35 activation fee applies.
2) Walmart gives me a $300 Walmart gift card that I can use pretty much right away.
3) I go home, cut down my wife's existing Koodo prepaid micro-sim to nano size, or replace it with a new sim. Her old account now works with new phone.
4) I set up the online account for billing, etc.
5) I call in after everything up and running, or I port the number over to another carrier if I want to avoid talking to people.
6) Koodo sends me a bill for what is remaining on my tab, plus other fees incurred depending upon cancel date.

My main questions. It looks from above posts that they cannot enforce 90 days, especially of you port out. (Has that changed at all recently?) If you want to buy other phones at a later date, is it better to wait 90 days, and also, once you cancel an active line, if you go to buy a phone later on, are you considered an existing customer, or do they hit you with another credit check and treat you as a new customer? I don't need more than one new phone right now, but sometimes phones break and circumstances change... so some clarifying would be great.

I'm pretty sure I've got this handled, just wanted to know if I'm current or missed something.
Nov 1, 2009
853 posts
226 upvotes
User864023 wrote:
Dec 25th, 2018 1:39 am
I'm pretty sure I've got this handled, just wanted to know if I'm current or missed something.
1. Your wife has a Koodo account already, why not open another line there. Save the credit check that way.

2. Or you have an options to get vanilla MC GC via buying at Wal-Mart. (activation fees applies)

3. You can't use the sim that came with the A5, it's tied to that account/activated. Instead of cutting the sim your better off buying a new sim ($10) & transfer your wife account to the new sim.

4. You can also change #s to Alberta to save on taxes, on the new A5 your getting. (don't know if that loophole is still open)

5. Correct

6. You can check the self-serve at a later date the final bill will show up there as well. Have the option to pay online.

Extras

No more 90 days, port when you want to. (following day even if you want.
You're only tied to the tab owed & prorated fees on the monthly plan base on when you port out.
If you don't open another line under your wife account your subject to another credit check & treated as new customer.
Which is why I said just open under her to save credit check & treated as existing customer.
As for how often can you get a phone & leave its really YMMV. Some we're flag right away, while others won't.
Jan 22, 2016
47 posts
19 upvotes
jay-em wrote:
Dec 25th, 2018 12:09 pm
1. Your wife has a Koodo account already, why not open another line there. Save the credit check that way.

2. Or you have an options to get vanilla MC GC via buying at Wal-Mart. (activation fees applies)

3. You can't use the sim that came with the A5, it's tied to that account/activated. Instead of cutting the sim your better off buying a new sim ($10) & transfer your wife account to the new sim.

4. You can also change #s to Alberta to save on taxes, on the new A5 your getting. (don't know if that loophole is still open)

5. Correct

6. You can check the self-serve at a later date the final bill will show up there as well. Have the option to pay online.

Extras

No more 90 days, port when you want to. (following day even if you want.
You're only tied to the tab owed & prorated fees on the monthly plan base on when you port out.
If you don't open another line under your wife account your subject to another credit check & treated as new customer.
Which is why I said just open under her to save credit check & treated as existing customer.
As for how often can you get a phone & leave its really YMMV. Some we're flag right away, while others won't.
Both our Koodo accounts are prepaid accounts. So no, she doesn't have an existing postpaid account. I totally understand that we will get a credit check tomorrow and I'm okay with that. I guess my question is this. I get the phone tomorrow. Let's say I was to wait the 90 days and then port out (knowing for sure they won't flag in that case). Once I port out, I no longer have an active line, so I guess if for some reason I wanted another phone in 6 months, I'd be subject to another check?

We both are happy with our prepaid accounts, and we have active boosters on them... just mostly interested in replacing her J1 that has almost no usable space. I'm willing to put the sim from the A5 in my kids phone for 90 days if there is an advantage to keeping Koodo happy.
Nov 1, 2009
853 posts
226 upvotes
User864023 wrote:
Dec 25th, 2018 12:57 pm
We both are happy with our prepaid accounts, and we have active boosters on them... just mostly interested in replacing her J1 that has almost no usable space. I'm willing to put the sim from the A5 in my kids phone for 90 days if there is an advantage to keeping Koodo happy.
Aside from being on the hook for 90days + tab + taxes. (imo which a lot compare to porting out right away)
What you could do is opt out to a seasonal hold. (by calling in try your luck there)
That way what you pay for assuming you'd leave after 90days would be lower.
Or roll the dice, I mean how often are you planning to open account & leave? Every 2yrs?
Another option is look through the BST I'm sure there will be some selling at cost or slightly more.
That way you save on activation fees+monthly plan & tax, again it's your call.
Jan 22, 2016
47 posts
19 upvotes
jay-em wrote:
Dec 25th, 2018 8:32 pm
Aside from being on the hook for 90days + tab + taxes. (imo which a lot compare to porting out right away)
What you could do is opt out to a seasonal hold. (by calling in try your luck there)
That way what you pay for assuming you'd leave after 90days would be lower.
Or roll the dice, I mean how often are you planning to open account & leave? Every 2yrs?
Another option is look through the BST I'm sure there will be some selling at cost or slightly more.
That way you save on activation fees+monthly plan & tax, again it's your call.
Thanks.

That's basically what I'm debating in my head. Not seeing needing another phone for awhile, then again accidents happen and phones get ruined. It's a conundrum. Smiling Face With Open Mouth Thanks for the input.
Apr 22, 2012
702 posts
75 upvotes
TORONTO
willy156 wrote:
Dec 20th, 2018 12:40 pm
I'm not sure how much it'd cost, I used my home phone to call Koodo to cancel my plan lol
I think visiting a kiosk is a bad idea. I've read from numerous people that the employees will try their best to prevent you from cancelling because they won't get commission sales
They make money once the customer is with the company for 90 days so they'll try their best to stop you from cancelling
What Koodo phone did you call to cancel the plan? Thanks.
Nov 12, 2011
547 posts
143 upvotes
Ontario
HappyValley1 wrote:
Dec 26th, 2018 9:21 pm
What Koodo phone did you call to cancel the plan? Thanks.
I used my home phone to cancel the koodo plan on my iPhone 8

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

User588368