• Jan 13th, 2019 6:04 pm
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
15389 posts
5729 upvotes
Oakville
HappyValley1 wrote:
Dec 26th, 2018 9:21 pm
What Koodo phone did you call to cancel the plan? Thanks.
You can arrange for them to call you at http://www.koodo.com/chat so you don't have to wait on hold.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Apr 22, 2012
701 posts
75 upvotes
TORONTO
wearysky wrote:
Dec 27th, 2018 9:28 am
You can arrange for them to call you at http://www.koodo.com/chat so you don't have to wait on hold.
I did call in and waited 30 mins for customer service and then 30 ^mins for cancellation team. The r Wow^ ep is very nice to help me set up the self serve login. So that i can pay my balance on Jan 5. I got iphone 8 from Wow with $150 Mastercard. Trade in an old phone for a case and screen protector. I need too pay $ extra because they cost $55+tax.
Mar 18, 2011
408 posts
84 upvotes
Brampton
First link that comes up when you Google "Koodo phone cancel".
Nov 6, 2018
4 posts
Looking to get this deal koodo-apple-iphone-x-180-koodo-large-ta ... y-2252076/, but never done churning before.

Can I sign up with Koodo today, cancel tomorrow and still receive the phone or I should wait to have the phone in hand to cancel? Also when does the monthly plan charges start, as soon as I sign up even though I don't have the phone yet or once I receive the device?
Aug 30, 2018
5 posts
I just got 2 Kudoo phone lines on Dec 31 via wallmart wireless in Alberta where I got two Samsung A5 phones on small tabs & $600 combined gift card for both lines.

What would be the best way to cancel the lines? Can I do it right away? Any complications? The Wallmart sales rep was strongly discouraged cancelling prior to 90 days as doing so causes strong credit hit but some forums seem to suggest that the rep was probably saying this to just make a commisision?

Thoughts?
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
15389 posts
5729 upvotes
Oakville
IvanBo wrote:
Dec 30th, 2018 4:46 pm
Looking to get this deal http://forums.redflagdeals.com/koodo-ap ... y-2252076/, but never done churning before.

Can I sign up with Koodo today, cancel tomorrow and still receive the phone or I should wait to have the phone in hand to cancel? Also when does the monthly plan charges start, as soon as I sign up even though I don't have the phone yet or once I receive the device?
I already mentioned this to you elsewhere, but for others who may be reading - don't call to cancel before you have the phone in hand. Billing starts when your account gets opened, which isn't until sometime after the phone itself ships (usually). When you call to cancel, you can ask them to also credit the couple days between when the account was opened and when you actually received the phone. That'll save you an extra few bucks. :)
AmithJ19711 wrote:
Dec 31st, 2018 5:09 am
I just got 2 Kudoo phone lines on Dec 31 via wallmart wireless in Alberta where I got two Samsung A5 phones on small tabs & $600 combined gift card for both lines.

What would be the best way to cancel the lines? Can I do it right away? Any complications? The Wallmart sales rep was strongly discouraged cancelling prior to 90 days as doing so causes strong credit hit but some forums seem to suggest that the rep was probably saying this to just make a commisision?

Thoughts?
Yup, no changes to your credit score if you cancel immediately. You already take the credit hit when you sign up for the account. Reps don't get commission if you don't stay for at least 90 days, so they often make shit up. Cheapest way to cancel is to just organize a callback (here: http://koodo.com/chat) to avoid waiting on hold, and tell them you want to cancel but keep the phones. *Easiest* way is to port your phone numbers out to NumberBarn.com - costs $5 for the port, plus $2 (USD I believe) per line for the first month's parking fee, just remember to cancel the parking so you don't get billed again.
Penalty Box
Oct 27, 2007
2028 posts
67 upvotes
IvanBo wrote:
Dec 30th, 2018 4:46 pm
Looking to get this deal http://forums.redflagdeals.com/koodo-ap ... y-2252076/, but never done churning before.

Can someone explain what it is meant by 'still receive' or 'keep' the phone? If you cancel, don't you have to return the phone? If people are doing this en mass, why would these carriers keep doing it? I thought these phones are valued around $900 or more (without contact) so they offer contracts that you can cancel and still keep the contract? There's something that doesn't make sense here? Or are they so stupid that they allow this? You would think there would be something in the fine print of their contract that you would have to return the phone or owe the remaining value - which would be pretty close to the total price - even if it's $100 off, it's still around $800.

Can someone explain this? It seems like a very routine thing for many buyers - especially with Koodo 'deals.'
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
15389 posts
5729 upvotes
Oakville
teleguitar wrote:
Dec 31st, 2018 9:19 am
Can someone explain what it is meant by 'still receive' or 'keep' the phone? If you cancel, don't you have to return the phone? If people are doing this en mass, why would these carriers keep doing it? I thought these phones are valued around $900 or more (without contact) so they offer contracts that you can cancel and still keep the contract? There's something that doesn't make sense here? Or are they so stupid that they allow this? You would think there would be something in the fine print of their contract that you would have to return the phone or owe the remaining value - which would be pretty close to the total price - even if it's $100 off, it's still around $800.

Can someone explain this? It seems like a very routine thing for many buyers - especially with Koodo 'deals.'
Nope, with Koodo if you cancel the plan, you keep the phone and just pay off the device balance (whatever the tab level is). Koodo is the only carrier that does this, due to the way their tab system works. Specific tab levels have fixed device balances (for ease of explanation to customers - tab small maxes out at $240, tab medium maxes out at $360, tab large at $480, and so on), so any discounts offered up front are in fact "real" discounts because they can't dump the discounted amount back onto the remaining device balance without screwing up their tab system.

The reason they still allow this is because people *aren't* doing this en masse. RFDers are, but RFDers make up a teeny tiny percentage of total mobile phone buyers, and regular folks have no idea that this is even possible (they assume, because it's how EVERY OTHER CARRIER DOES IT, that if they cancel early they'll be on the hook for the entire value of the phone).
Feb 9, 2011
16 posts
9 upvotes
Barrie
Waiting for Black Friday now! Just bought an iPhone 8 the other day, I guess I’ll be trying to get an XR deal next year. Until then I’ll read up on how to make this Koodoo deal work for me. 👌🏼
Aug 30, 2018
5 posts
Thank you, I will try getting in touch with kudoo for cancellation for both lines & see how it goes.

Any suggestions on what I might say if they come back asking why did i just sign up to cancel right away or any best practices on getting this cancellation done ( I assume they will transfer me to their cancellation team specialized in saving accounts)
Aug 18, 2018
778 posts
441 upvotes
SFO <==> YYZ
Just say you have horrible reception at home because there's no saving that.
[This signature intentionally left blank]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
15389 posts
5729 upvotes
Oakville
AmithJ19711 wrote:
Jan 1st, 2019 11:35 pm
Thank you, I will try getting in touch with kudoo for cancellation for both lines & see how it goes.

Any suggestions on what I might say if they come back asking why did i just sign up to cancel right away or any best practices on getting this cancellation done ( I assume they will transfer me to their cancellation team specialized in saving accounts)
You don't have to make anything up. Just say you're happier with your other plan, but would like to keep the phone.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
15389 posts
5729 upvotes
Oakville
AmithJ19711 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 1:07 pm
Thank you, will try this.
If you really don't want to talk to somebody, you could always just port your number out to NumberBarn.com either. It'll cost you $7USD, but it'll cancel without having to talk to anybody at Koodo (just remember to turn off the recurring monthly parking once you port over, so you don't get charged again in a month.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)