Cell Phones

Koodo Mobile - Cancel plan immediately?

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 13th, 2019 6:04 pm
Aug 30, 2018
5 posts
- Arranged a callback from kudoo via http://koodo.com/chat.
- Spoke with customer care rep who after taking down my info transferred me to the disconnection team.
- The disconnection guy knew what's up, apologized for the long wait time mentioned the reason for the long wait time was lots of folks are cancelling their services after a few days due to the good phone discount but he was pretty chill and nice.
- Got services disconnected as of today .
- Disconnect agent mentioned bill will get generated by around Jan 9-15 and I can pay via kudoo self-serve.
- Just got off the phone a few minutes back.

I asked if i would get blacklisted by cancelling right away, he mentioned no and that usually people who do this on many lines/multiple lines do. I should be fine.

Thank you for the help & guidance.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
15392 posts
5730 upvotes
Oakville
AmithJ19711 wrote:
Jan 2nd, 2019 10:30 pm
I asked if i would get blacklisted by cancelling right away, he mentioned no and that usually people who do this on many lines/multiple lines do. I should be fine.
Yup, I've never heard of anybody who does once a year (or even twice a year) churns getting blacklisted in any way. It's just the folks that are doing it for a living, buying phones from Koodo to resell them.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Jan 2, 2019
2 posts
Montreal
As opposed to Koodo, Virgin Mobile and Fido charge much higher cancellation fees! In both cases, they use the full phone retail price, as listed on their website.

In some cases, it is pure fraud because they use an artificially inflated phone price, which certainly goes against the spirit of the CRTC laws.

For example, with Virgin Mobile, you can currently get the LG G6 at 0$ with a 35$/month plan (no data), while they claim the phone is worth 999.99$. If you simply stay for 24 months, you end-up paying 24 x 35$ = 840$ total. The same plan will cost you 30$/month if you BYOD. So it's basically 5$/month for the phone in that case. With other plans, it's a 10$/month extra to get the phone. These are good deals, ... but I would say the phone's real value is much less than 999.99$!

However, ... if you cancel after 3 months, you have to pay the remaining of the phone's full retail price, based on this formula, i.e. (999.99$) / 24 x (remaining months). In that example, that means paying 999.99$ / 24 x 21 = 875$ (!!). After 3 months, you pay more cancellation fees than the total cost of the 24-month contract you signed!

So if you suddenly have budget problems and need to cancel the contract, you basically can't. It's cheaper to keep paying the monthly bills until the end of the contract than cancelling. That's crazy! and makes no sense to me. This is same with Fido.

I feel Koodo is much better on that regard. I may switch to Koodo (from Fido) just for that reason.

Larry.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
15392 posts
5730 upvotes
Oakville
LarryNonMTL wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 12:56 pm
As opposed to Koodo, Virgin Mobile and Fido charge much higher cancellation fees! In both cases, they use the full phone retail price, as listed on their website.

In some cases, it is pure fraud because they use an artificially inflated phone price, which certainly goes against the spirit of the CRTC laws.

For example, with Virgin Mobile, you can currently get the LG G6 at 0$ with a 35$/month plan (no data), while they claim the phone is worth 999.99$. If you simply stay for 24 months, you end-up paying 24 x 35$ = 840$ total. The same plan will cost you 30$/month if you BYOD. So it's basically 5$/month for the phone in that case. With other plans, it's a 10$/month extra to get the phone. These are good deals, ... but I would say the phone's real value is much less than 999.99$!

However, ... if you cancel after 3 months, you have to pay the remaining of the phone's full retail price, based on this formula, i.e. (999.99$) / 24 x (remaining months). In that example, that means paying 999.99$ / 24 x 21 = 875$ (!!). After 3 months, you pay more cancellation fees than the total cost of the 24-month contract you signed!

So if you suddenly have budget problems and need to cancel the contract, you basically can't. It's cheaper to keep paying the monthly bills until the end of the contract than cancelling. That's crazy! and makes no sense to me. This is same with Fido.

I feel Koodo is much better on that regard. I may switch to Koodo (from Fido) just for that reason.
You're *kind of* right. It's not that non-Koodo companies use artificially inflated phone values, it's that they take any upfront discounts and just put them back onto the value of the phone when calculating the remaining device balance. Koodo, when they give you an "activation credit" up front, doesn't tack that credit back onto the device balance because their tab system doesn't allow it. They still use the same MSRP that all the other carriers use, they just actually give you a credit when they say they're giving you a credit.
Jan 3, 2019
1 posts
Hi Amit, even I cancelled my services yesterday and the rep told me that my bill will be generated by Jan 9-15. Let's hope for the best.
Aug 30, 2018
5 posts
The bill got generated yesterday & I paid it off.

What would your thoughts be on:

- How frequently would you suggest doing this?
- What time of the year is best for deals/gift cards (perhaps boxing day/black friday)?
- Being blacklisted/banned or wallmart wireless not offering to sell?

Thank you
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2012
2614 posts
1048 upvotes
Mississauga
AmithJ19711 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 5:05 pm
The bill got generated yesterday & I paid it off.

What would your thoughts be on:

- How frequently would you suggest doing this?
- What time of the year is best for deals/gift cards (perhaps boxing day/black friday)?
- Being blacklisted/banned or wallmart wireless not offering to sell?

Thank you
You should be fine with doing this every 90 days. NavieM suggested that Koodo pushes good deals around the end of every financial quarter.
I love RFD! :)

Model 3 reservation holder
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
3774 posts
2791 upvotes
LarryNonMTL wrote:
Jan 3rd, 2019 12:56 pm

Larry.
Definitely not fraud.. Koodo just happens to offer the best discount up until now.

Don't worry, they will be changing Koodo policy soon enough (most likely this year), so that the full price is charged upon cancellation... just like the other companies.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
15392 posts
5730 upvotes
Oakville
superfresh89 wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 12:42 pm
Don't worry, they will be changing Koodo policy soon enough (most likely this year), so that the full price is charged upon cancellation... just like the other companies.
People have literally been saying this for years. No sign of it happening yet. I'll believe it when I see it.
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
3774 posts
2791 upvotes
wearysky wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 1:57 pm
People have literally been saying this for years. No sign of it happening yet. I'll believe it when I see it.
Lots of signs pointing to it happening this year.
Nov 1, 2009
845 posts
225 upvotes
superfresh89 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 2:06 pm
This was said everytime during/after Koodo deal.
Like @wearysky said until it's on print, I'll believe when I see it.
Aug 18, 2018
789 posts
446 upvotes
SFO <==> YYZ
superfresh89 wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 2:06 pm
Like what?
[This signature intentionally left blank]