Cell Phones

Koodo plan specials... how often do they happen?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 13th, 2015 1:14 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 23, 2014
210 posts
87 upvotes
Vancouver, BC

Koodo plan specials... how often do they happen?

After years of defending Wind to all my friends and family, I'm giving up. Just want usable data! I'd prefer Telus coverage so I'm planning to port both myself and my partner to Koodo - but when do i do it?

I obvs already missed the Black Friday double data deal, but how often does Koodo have plan specials? Is there typically a 'holiday' special to compete with the others?

Have my own phone but possibly looking to upgrade to a Moto X, so that's a consideration too... It could be a toss up between missing out on a deal on the phone (London Drugs has a good one right now that expires next week) and missing out on a good deal on a plan.

I figure it's my big chance to be a 'new activation' and snare a deal, but not sure how long I need to wait for one to come along. Any insight appreciated!
6 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2011
1703 posts
814 upvotes
Mississauga
No one knows, obviously. Boxing day would be my guess.

However, if you want something now, why not look at Public Mobile? Their 90 day plans end up costing the same (or cheaper than) comparable Koodo plans, even when Koodo has special plans. And they're on the Telus network as well.
Aug 23, 2014
210 posts
87 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
hackoder wrote: No one knows, obviously. Boxing day would be my guess.

However, if you want something now, why not look at Public Mobile? Their 90 day plans end up costing the same (or cheaper than) comparable Koodo plans, even when Koodo has special plans. And they're on the Telus network as well.
Thank you... I poked around their website... The drawback for me with Public is no roaming. Plus as noted, I'd like the option of putting a new phone on a tab. But I appreciate the response.

I'm mostly just wondering if historically Koodo had a Xmas plan offered or not.
Dec 26, 2014
687 posts
580 upvotes
ON
Typically all three sub brands, Koodo, Virgin, Fido all run a similar promo around Christmas time and boxing day. It can vary, depending on the plan and province, but deals range from bigger bonuses and gift cards, lower subsidized phone prices to better promo plans. This year, I expect they will do a bonus 1GB boxing week deal. In addition, some dealers will probably have bigger gift cards for signing up on a tab. Best deals typically come from The Mobile Shop and Walmart.
Aug 23, 2014
210 posts
87 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
polizeifritz wrote: Typically all three sub brands, Koodo, Virgin, Fido all run a similar promo around Christmas time and boxing day. It can vary, depending on the plan and province, but deals range from bigger bonuses and gift cards, lower subsidized phone prices to better promo plans. This year, I expect they will do a bonus 1GB boxing week deal. In addition, some dealers will probably have bigger gift cards for signing up on a tab. Best deals typically come from The Mobile Shop and Walmart.
Thank you! Are promo plans generally something that you can switch to as an existing customer?

If I bought a new phone I'd be planning to pay off the tab right away (ie. only putting it on the tab to get the better price), so I'm assuming as long as I was willing to do that I'd be okay. Argh, maybe I should just wait. London Drugs is currently offering a $150 gift card on the Moto X Play on Koodo, so tab pricing of $360 - $150 seems a good deal, not sure if I'll see anything better round Xmas.
Dec 26, 2014
687 posts
580 upvotes
ON
kitscha wrote: Thank you! Are promo plans generally something that you can switch to as an existing customer?

If I bought a new phone I'd be planning to pay off the tab right away (ie. only putting it on the tab to get the better price), so I'm assuming as long as I was willing to do that I'd be okay. Argh, maybe I should just wait. London Drugs is currently offering a $150 gift card on the Moto X Play on Koodo, so tab pricing of $360 - $150 seems a good deal, not sure if I'll see anything better round Xmas.
These are typically all offered for upgrades as well as new activations. I typically do the same thing. Get the device on the tab, then pay it off. The deal on the Moto X Play seems pretty standard. Walmart offers a $175 gift card with the LG G3 currently, which is a much better device than the Moto. You can bet that when boxing day rolls around, the deals will be sweeter, you will likely get a better deal on a plan/plan bonus, plus a larger incentive on the device. The mobile shop had an impressive incentive last year, I think it was $200 or $250 pc points on the Galaxy S4. I personally am waiting until boxing day to see what offers there are on devices as I already have a SK/MB plan and that can't be beat.
Aug 23, 2014
210 posts
87 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
polizeifritz wrote: These are typically all offered for upgrades as well as new activations. I typically do the same thing. Get the device on the tab, then pay it off. The deal on the Moto X Play seems pretty standard. Walmart offers a $175 gift card with the LG G3 currently, which is a much better device than the Moto. You can bet that when boxing day rolls around, the deals will be sweeter, you will likely get a better deal on a plan/plan bonus, plus a larger incentive on the device. The mobile shop had an impressive incentive last year, I think it was $200 or $250 pc points on the Galaxy S4. I personally am waiting until boxing day to see what offers there are on devices as I already have a SK/MB plan and that can't be beat.
Excellent... Just the kind of advice I was looking for. Many thanks.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)